IGNORED

most overrated clubs/brands? most underrated?

Note: This thread is 4551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Imagine you're a scratch player and a round of golf is a Par 70.

Take off 18 tee shots = 52 shots remaining.

Allowing two putts per hole, take off 36 putts = 16 shots remaining.

On the above round of golf you're playing around 16 shots with irons/wedges.

You're playing more than twice that amount of shots with your putter.

You should therefore technically put 2.25x the amount of money into a putter than a set of irons and wedges at that level of play.

Convinced?

I don't see this as argument having any logic here.

Everyone is different, and has different resources.  To some people a putter is worth $1,000.  To other's, $10.  Thankfully our market can satisfy both.  Who cares?

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Gresh24

I don't see this as argument having any logic here.

Everyone is different, and has different resources.  To some people a putter is worth $1,000.  To other's, $10.  Thankfully our market can satisfy both.  Who cares?

I take it the didn't give you a clue as to how serious the post was then?

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I take it the didn't give you a clue as to how serious the post was then?

Oops, no.  My bad

• Upvote 1

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

• Administrator

Originally Posted by shades9323

Do you disagree his original premise that Scotty's are over-rated? I mean, how many Scotty owners have them fitted to even half the standard that your fitting was? IMO, not many. Most see the name "Scotty Cameron" and drool and buy one of the shelf.  I don't know if it is a status symbol for them or if they actually think they will putt better because of the name on the club.

No, because value judgments are for everyone to make.

I wouldn't putt with an Odyssey with that non-metal insert for $5 because I don't like the feel of it. And yet I might have paid $1000 for my Edel putter because it's SUPER fit for me, looks awesome, is customized the way I wanted it, and so on.

Scotty Cameron makes a good putter. Tech wise you can find some cheaper, but if you're the type of guy who has confidence because your putter says "Cameron" on it, perhaps that's worth a $50 or $100 premium to you.

Personally, as I'll not be using anything but my fitted Edel going forward, even the Scotty's aren't "worth it" to me at any cost. I've had filet mignon - the sirloin just won't do. The guy who eats at Ruth's Chris isn't going to enjoy eating at Ponderosa now and then, and the Ponderosa fan isn't going to think the Ruth's Chris steak is "worth it" either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You should therefore technically put 2.25x the amount of money into a putter than a set of irons and wedges at that level of play.

Convinced?

Been thinking about a Scotty for a while, but couldn't talk myself into getting off my wallet!!! But I know if I take the plunge that I'll have it forever, so total cost of ownership isn't outrageous. My numbers don't fall precisely into the model you've worked out - a bit away from scratch for sure - but the logic works. SC is quality and high performance, otherwise they would not be used so widely on tour. How does that = overrated?

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

To say a Scotty Cameron is overrated is silly…..People run out and buy them because they see their favorite player using it.  Just like the guy that runs out and buys an R11 because its white, but never takes advantage of its features.

I currently use a Scotty Cameron, fitted and ground to my specifications by a Titleist tour fitter.  It works for me…my Irons are custom fit and shafted for me…They are exactly what I need to play the way I do.  Heck for most golfers the OEM should give you clubs, becuase you are just gonna hit more balls in the woods!

To say a ProV1 is overrated is just dumb….how about you amend your statement and say a ProV1 is not right for me.  The ProV1 is a Ferrari among Fords…if you know how to drive it.

I would not expect a 22 or 15 handicap to understand that because you do not hit the ball with enough consistency to justify the expenditure…thus your narrow opinion that it is “over rated”.  I might hit your set up and think its total garbage, but I bet I could still beat you with your own clubs.

This post seems to be a lot of jealous, snobbery and insecurity manifested in a few bitter posts.

Sorry, my two cents.

i could go buy a scotty right night if i wanted one, thats not the point. I've used them, liked the odyssey better. it's all a matter of preference. which is really all this thread is, one big thread of opinions bouncing off eachother, it's one of the largest pissing contests known to man.

So let's just leave it at to each his own...

The worst day of golf beats the best day of work!

The idea sounds crazy to you because you have justified that purchase and in your opinion it was worth the price. But I see a lot of people that 4 putt and have Scotty's. I don't live or die by my insert in the odyssey, but it does work great for me. I'm with you on your point about the driver, while it is a necessary club the idea that it is the most important in the bag is a little crazy.

well I have been playing golf for a year and wishd id started sooner cause I've picked up quickly. But I haven't found tye need o buy a 400 dollar driver. I uS sold a taylormade r9 460 I got for 125 bucks and I recently sold it for tye underrated tour edge exotics cb3 tour. 95 Bucks. Only thing I intend on buying now is a fitted shaft. Ppl who buy a new400-600 dollar drive every year love equipment more than golf.getting "played" for the newest techy stuff. No need to be " like everyone else". No need to bankrupt myself for oohs and ahhs

And the putter is the most important club in your bag. But if you wanna pay 400dollars for Scotty Cameron and expect to totally change their putting. But it doesn't. Its just a fashionable piece of equipment that won't do magical things for your game. I've probly putted better with my old Wilson Augusta brass bullseye ($30) putter than most ppl with Scottys.

Lets take the same anser design .... how is a Scotty at $300 superior to a Ping at $129 ?     Construction materials are pretty much identical.   Maybe the finish on the Scotty is shinier & maybe buffed out smoother.    To me, if you compare apples to apples, I don't get the hoopla with Scotty's ... what am I missing when compared to a very similar Ping ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Depends on which Ping Anser you compare it to, there's a Ping Anser Milled that goes for $300 just like the Scotty's, then you have the Redwood Anser that runs $250, the iN and Scottsdale Ansers are around $135 and the Karsten Anser is around $90.

Originally Posted by inthehole

Lets take the same anser design .... how is a Scotty at $300 superior to a Ping at $129 ?     Construction materials are pretty much identical.   Maybe the finish on the Scotty is shinier & maybe buffed out smoother.    To me, if you compare apples to apples, I don't get the hoopla with Scotty's ... what am I missing when compared to a very similar Ping ?

Joe Paradiso

OK then, lets take the run of the mill Scottsdale Anser that sells for around $130 at Dicks - I'm sure nobody would disagree that it's a nice putter.     I honestly don't know what makes the Scotty, which is so similar in design, worth $200 more ... is it a more labor intensive manufacturing process or simply limited production by comparison ?        Help me out...

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Depends on which Ping Anser you compare it to, there's a Ping Anser Milled that goes for $300 just like the Scotty's, then you have the Redwood Anser that runs $250, the iN and Scottsdale Ansers are around $135 and the Karsten Anser is around $90.

John

• Administrator

Originally Posted by inthehole

OK then, lets take the run of the mill Scottsdale Anser that sells for around $130 at Dicks - I'm sure nobody would disagree that it's a nice putter.     I honestly don't know what makes the Scotty, which is so similar in design, worth $200 more ... is it a more labor intensive manufacturing process or simply limited production by comparison ?        Help me out...

It may not even be the first reason why, but somewhere on the list, this is what makes it "worth" $200 more:

Enough people are willing to pay more for it.

To some, it's that simple. And as others pointed out, even PING sells putters for $300. So... other items on the list likely include: the metals used, the QA, the craftsmanship, the look and feel, the shafts/grips, the options/configurations, etc.

I liked Scottys before I got my Edel, but it wasn't so much that I "liked" Scotty Cameron putters, it was more that I didn't really care for many of the others. Mushy inserts, terrible looks, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

gotcha ... I understand.        Its very similar to something I can more relate to ...  an Epiphone Les Paul looks like a Gibson Les Paul, but you have to be a player to know the difference.

Originally Posted by iacas

It may not even be the first reason why, but somewhere on the list, this is what makes it "worth" $200 more:

Enough people are willing to pay more for it.

To some, it's that simple. And as others pointed out, even PING sells putters for $300. So... other items on the list likely include: the metals used, the QA, the craftsmanship, the look and feel, the shafts/grips, the options/configurations, etc.

I liked Scottys before I got my Edel, but it wasn't so much that I "liked" Scotty Cameron putters, it was more that I didn't really care for many of the others. Mushy inserts, terrible looks, etc.

John

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

IMO, Titleist is very much overrated. A lot of people seem to think that anything Titleist is the best, which IMO is a result of Achushnet's aggressive marketing and the fact that they will sponsor almost ANYONE.

Taylormade is a close 2nd. Too have a very aggressive marketing campaign and will sponsor anyone.

People see so many pros playing Titleist or Taylormade equipment and they think, "if the pros play it, that must mean its better."

In terms of underrated, Id have to say Wilson and Cleveland are 2 that come to mind. Both companies make good stuff, but never seem to get the respect or media attention that they deserve.

"oxymoron"? what is your TST handle? "T......WI?..... Cleveland? Do you play any? Everyclub manufacturer has overrated and underrated products.  look at my sig, not loyal to anyone or any brand.... I use what works for me. Always leary of someone touting a brand name when their entire sig is all one brand.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Originally Posted by jpalermo

"oxymoron"? what is your TST handle? "T......WI?..... Cleveland? Do you play any? Everyclub manufacturer has overrated and underrated products.  look at my sig, not loyal to anyone or any brand.... I use what works for me. Always leary of someone touting a brand name when their entire sig is all one brand.

I used to be a Titleist fan and was when I first registered on this site.  That was a long time ago and Ive since moved on to liking clubs that work for me and not paying much attention to marketing or what tour pros use.

Be leary all you want but I demo just about everything every summer.  Its not as if Ive never tried anything else. LOL

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

Quote:

" rel="/emoticons/wink.png">Convinced? " id="yui_3_3_0_8_131410881392128" rel="/emoticons/wink.png">

Been thinking about a Scotty for a while, but couldn't talk myself into getting off my wallet!!! But I know if I take the plunge that I'll have it forever, so total cost of ownership isn't outrageous. My numbers don't fall precisely into the model you've worked out - a bit away from scratch for sure - but the logic works.

SC is quality and high performance, otherwise they would not be used so widely on tour. How does that = overrated?

I think it's widely accepted that when people suggest SC putters are overrated, they're talking about the mass produced OTR ones available at Golf Town etc, not the customized "Tour Issue" versions you see in tour players' bags.

Having said that, I have a few putters I like (Odyssey, Cleveland, Sportsman, etc) and there's no way any of them are worth $300 either. At least if you buy a SC, there's someone waiting to buy it off you. Who's gonna buy a used $300 PING or Odyssey when they make $100 versions that are just as good?!? All SC putters are overpriced so they hold their perceived value.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

I used to be a Titleist fan and was when I first registered on this site.  That was a long time ago and Ive since moved on to liking clubs that work for me and not paying much attention to marketing or what tour pros use.

Be leary all you want but I demo just about everything every summer.  Its not as if Ive never tried anything else. LOL

Gotcha.... Thought it was a little odd.... lol

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Note: This thread is 4551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!