IGNORED

Looking into a Golf Membership - Have Some Questions

sioutdoors
Note:Β This thread is 5532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

You've got to be kidding me... That's the first I've ever heard of that... what a bunch if BS.

That's the way it is, he could play during the week but not on weekends, he even asked if he could play on a weekend afternoon since the course is basically empty after 2:00 and they said no.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played the course today. It was sweet! It was in pristine condition and there were lots of trees, some of which had started to turn color. Beautiful. The best part was we felt like the only ones on the golf course. Absolutely no waiting. It is a Tillinghast course so it was tough. My highlight was driving the green on a short par 4. Unfortunately I 3 putted for par.
Looks like I'm hooked.

Gary

-----------------------------------------------
In my bag:
G10 Driver 9degree stiff G10 4 wood stiff Ci7 irons 4-GW SW Twoball putter ProV1

Don't forget to ask about any playing restrictions for new members. There are places around me that take you money, or part of it, but then don't allow you to play on weekends for a couple of years.

I am not aware of any restrictions at this club.

Gary

-----------------------------------------------
In my bag:
G10 Driver 9degree stiff G10 4 wood stiff Ci7 irons 4-GW SW Twoball putter ProV1

You will really enjoy the benefits of belonging to a private club. Be prepared for assessments though, they are inevitable.

I have lots of people ask me if it's "worth it" to belong to a club. What they really mean is "do you play enough golf to offset the cost" The answer is no. But....what I'm really paying for is access to a great couse, at my convenience, with no hassles. If I want to go out one afternoon and play 6, 9, or 12 holes, I can do it. If I want to take one of my sons to the course late on Sunday to play 9, I can do it. A quick phone call gets me right on the course.

Enjoy your new club and all the benefits that go with it.

• 10 months later...

Well, I got the hard part already taken care off as my wife has approved the budget for a CY2010 golf membership. I know that I should be ecstatic, but the fiscal conservative in me is still performing due diligence (and perhaps over-analyzing it).

I'm looking at a weekend-only membership which includes a cart, and also unlimited practice facility usage all week. The course is 25 minutes away from me, I'd be playing with three friends who have been members at this course for six years (one is the defending club champ), so I know that the companionship would be top notch, and I've played the course several times so I know that it would be challenging and fun (135 / 70.9 from the tips). I also have a golf lesson scheduled this week with the club pro who seems like a great guy.

The kicker is that if I pay for a 2010 membership this Sept, then I can play the rest of this season for free. My break-even point is a no brainer, so this should be an easy decision for me, but...

I am wondering if I'd be better off spending my time and $$ taking lessons and playing a variety of courses with mucho practice thrown in (given my high handicap due to historically only playing a few time a year), and then join once I'm a better player. Given the membership cost, I have sticker shock (not having ever paid this amount of $ before for golf), and think that spreading my $'s out would be better. But, I'm serious about getting better, will commit the investment to do so, and want to do the right thing for my game (and marriage).

Thoughts / advice??

Joining the local CC has been one of the best decisions I ever made, but I got one helluva deal because I was recommended by 3 members, and under 35.
The moment my wife raised her eyebrows at the cost I mentioned the housekeeper who cleans once per week for us, and all questions vanished .

I joined a club for the first time ever, like you I had only played sparingly in recent years. Since joining and playing 2 to 3 times per week my handicap has dropped 7 strokes. In the last two weeks I feel like I have broken through several barriers to improve even more scoring wise.

I didn't like spending the money but my break even point occurred in June so I'm on a free ride for the rest of the season. I do miss playing a variety of courses but there are also benefits to having all the staff know you.

If you want to improve your game go for it.
ogio.gifedge bag
titleist.gifdriver 10.5* 907D1, 15* 906f2, 18* 906f2
wilson_staff.gif21* hybrid, 3-PW PI7, TW9 wedges
wilson_staff.gif: 8802, 8813, or Arnold Palmer Original
wilson_staff.gifX1 or 50

I would think that having a membership and being able to golf every weekend and practise all week would be the best thing for your game. Also, sometimes getting that membership kinda forces you to go more then you usually would...you feel that since you've already paid, you better use it...opposed to having to pay each time which is kind of a turn off some days. Each to their own, but for me there is nothing better then a membership...although I basically golf every day possible :).

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

• Administrator
Additionally, you can play five or six holes and if the weather turns sour or you want to go home, you can. You can play four balls if the course is relatively empty without guilt (or getting into trouble). The list of reasons is long if you're serious about improving.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Additionally, you can play five or six holes and if the weather turns sour or you want to go home, you can. You can play four balls if the course is relatively empty without guilt (or getting into trouble). The list of reasons is long if you're serious about improving.

these are the exact reasons why i am joining next year

i havent had a membership since i was in H/S (mostly b/c i couldnt fund it) now that I can (and its a 100% write off) its a go for next year my job allows me to do whatever, whenever there is nothing better than getting out on an early afternoon Tuesday, sitting on a hole w a few balls to practice chipping, approach shots etc.. you will notice your handi will drop significantly, should u sign up
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

these are the exact reasons why i am joining next year

What is your job and where do i sign up!?! :D

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

What is your job and where do i sign up!?! :D

hahah!

Mortgage Broker i often have "training sessions" about..umm...2pm!! hahaha!!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

joining a club has been a huge advantage to me in getting better. It doesnt have to be a private course, but just being a member anywhere has its advantages. Like being able to just walk out on the course at 7pm and hit four and 5 balls on a hole. Ive been able to simulate the bad lies and bad angles out there on the course that id never be able to get on the range.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Sounds like you already considered this but you have to know that you're going to be able to get away to play enough. That's the issue for me. I'm lucky to play once a week. I'd like to play twice but with a new born, that's impossible.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Outside of the cost issue, the only other major issue I see is that the course is still almost 30 minutes away. If it was 10-15 minutes down the road you would probably be more inclined to use the practice facilities more often (or even play a quick 9 or so). That's been one of the things that keeps me from joining a club - none close enough to me to be convenient.

Personally, I also enjoy playing a lot of different courses and would end up doing so whether I was a member or not, so it also would not make sense fiscally because of that. However, if you like the course and know that you'll play the vast majority of your rounds there AND use the practice facilities on a regular basis then it might make sense. Do the math of membership costs vs. regular rate x expected rounds. So many memberships end up being beyond what it would cost to play the same # of rounds, but people join because they either think they'll play more than they do or think they're getting something else that makes up for it (practice facilities, social options, prestige, etc.)

Additonally, do not forget about the other costs that almost always come with club membership that often the club doesn't disclose immediately without you asking for more details - such as minimum food/beverage/pro shop, locker fees, cart fees, locker room attendant fees, course upgrade charges (irregular, but courses love to charge members for upgrades and maintenance work that is unexpected), etc.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I think it depends on a couple of factors. The first of course being cost of the yearly membership. Do the math on how much you play and how much it is for a single round at this club, if it is public. I have always found that yearly memberships in my area only make sense if I play more than twice a week, which I don't. You might find that you are basically prepaying for your golf for the year.....

The second factor is quality of golf in your area. Is this course the only one well maintained in the area? If so, then a membership there might work. Playing on a cow pasture is not worth any $$$.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Thanks for the replies. All has been considered, but it's good to hear from third parties to ensure that all rocks have been turned over on this. My biggest challenge is going to be life/work balancing - can't let golf get in front of the family. In fact, my oldest son will be joining me at the practice faciliity weekly to keep with the bonding (he's too young to added onto the membership).

Sounds like you already considered this but you have to know that you're going to be able to get away to play enough. That's the issue for me. I'm lucky to play once a week. I'd like to play twice but with a new born, that's impossible.

I know the feeling. With four children, and being involved in most of their activities as a coach, time is a premium. The practices can be done in the early morning before most time conflicts, and the weekend play would again be done first thing in the AM to evade most conflicts. Luckliy, I'm a morning person.

This is a big component for me due to the above comment of coaching my kids' activities. I'll need to jump on the course at times with little advanced warning, and membership will make this very easy (no green fees guilt for only 5 or 6 holes in the late PM or between events).

Outside of the cost issue, the only other major issue I see is that the course is still almost 30 minutes away. If it was 10-15 minutes down the road you would probably be more inclined to use the practice facilities more often (or even play a quick 9 or so). That's been one of the things that keeps me from joining a club - none close enough to me to be convenient.

Yea, need to consider gas for the F-150 as an expense. She's no hybrid!!

Additonally, do not forget about the other costs that almost always come with club membership that often the club doesn't disclose immediately without you asking for more details - such as minimum food/beverage/pro shop, locker fees, cart fees, locker room attendant fees, course upgrade charges (irregular, but courses love to charge members for upgrades and maintenance work that is unexpected), etc.

I walked through this with the Business Mgr, so all expenses are known and up-front.

My biggest challenge is going to be life/work balancing - can't let golf get in front of the family.

I'm on the same green. Let me know when you figure this one out. I was going to get a membership this year but fortunately decided against it. I have played good amount of rounds this year, but not enough to justify the membership fee. The family/work/golf balance gets difficult when kids are added to the mix. Good luck with your decision.

Note:Β This thread is 5532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!