IGNORED

"Secrets of the Short Game" by Phil Mickelson

iacas
Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My expectations were higher after watching the chipping section, which he was very thorough with. I guess I was expecting/hoping for a bit more explanation on technique. I'm not saying that his instruction didn't help my bunker play. It just left me with a couple of, "but how...?" moments.

That is because he says that it is just an extension off the chipping technique. Everything on his dvd is based around the same principles, that is why he doesn't go through them again for every shot. Have you guys tried the 2 ball trick shot yet?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is because he says that it is just an extension off the chipping technique. Everything on his dvd is based around the same principles, that is why he doesn't go through them again for every shot.

A couple of times, only once did the one ball not go over the green, the time it didn't it had insane back spin.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

That is because he says that it is just an extension off the chipping technique. Everything on his dvd is based around the same principles, that is why he doesn't go through them again for every shot.

I tried it but our bunkerside green is too short for me to land on (so far) His info on Bunker play is spot on for me.

In the bag:
MX-100 Irons
Wedges 54*
60* SV Tour Wedge
putter 3-Wood, 5-wood 10.5* driverLimbo Ball

Have you guys tried the 2 ball trick shot yet?

I tried it the other day at the range, just hitting off a fairly fluffy mat. Since it was on a range, it didn't matter where the lead ball went - it just went rocketing off down the range. But the second ball shot up high in the air, went about 30-40 yards, and landed with an intense amount of backspin and came zipping back towards me, coming back about 20 yards. It was pretty funny seeing the reaction from the people around on the range - they weren't paying attention to what I did and didn't see the lead ball, but a ball backspinning its way back towards us caught their attention. They're probably still wondering what kind of wedges I use to get that insane backspin!

Does Phil talk at all about judging different lies and how to play them?

I have a really hard time judging how the ball will react if it's sitting up or buried in the greenside rough.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I really like his instruction and it's not that difficult to understand.

Here's one thing I can't quite get:

When he opens the wedge's face and rotates his body and re-grips the club. Maybe I'm doing it incorrectly, but when I open the face, I have to rotate my body so far around that the club feels extremely awkward. It's like it's out in front, toward the target.

To clarify, I'm trying it with a 56* wedge and he was using a 60* wedge. Perhaps it would be easier with the more lofted club?

• 2 weeks later...
You're not rotating your body while still standing parallel to the target are you?

After you've opened the face and re-gripped, then open your stance. The shaft of the club doesn't need to be in front of the ball. Make sure you're not playing the ball back in your stance, most people play the ball forward of center for a flop shot.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

great DVD and best $7 i ever spent
his putting drills are bar none
i actually feel comfortable about putting from 3-6ft
and when on the course, i take my practice putt from the left, then step up and knock er down, as if you were hitting ur next putt in the circle
this has worked extremely well for me

i found i already use his chipping technique, just didnt realize it until i watched
keep the grip light and loose for green side shot, and you avoid skulling the ball almost 100% of the time
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

You're not rotating your body while still standing parallel to the target are you?

After you've adjusted your stance, do you swing along your feet line?

Mine arrived yesterday. Really like it so far all though I do with they would spend a little more time on the stance. Perhaps some more views. It's hard to tell when you're looking at his feet. Another interesting part is how much he disagrees with Pelz on putting. Phil advocates the arc stroke and your eyes below the ball. Pelz advocates straight stroke and eyes over the ball line.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I took this to the course for the first time today. The only time I've had to practice the chipping technique was in my living room. My first drive left me about 25-30 yards from the hole. I used my 56* and "hinge and hold" and dropped it 5 feet from the pin. Made the birdie putt and was pretty excited.

The rest of the way was pretty bumpy. My chipping contact was much more solid and I really like the method. However I have no feel for it yet as far as distance. I certainly need to spend more time practicing it. So far so good though.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

• 3 weeks later...
Sitting here watching the first disc now.

The hinge&hold; method is looking promising.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I cannot begin to tell you how much the "hinge and hold" has helped my chipping. I'm still working on the variations but the basic setup has been a huge help.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag

I cannot begin to tell you how much the "hinge and hold" has helped my chipping. I'm still working on the variations but the basic setup has been a huge help.

I understand. I almost immediately improved once doing it. I have even had compliments on how good my short game has gotten. I love it!

Bryan A

I think it is the only way to hit a long pitch with consistancy. It helps me hit it a bit higher with more spin.

Yeah, my spin came back when I started doing this. I used to spin it all of the time and then it just left. Now it is back!

Bryan A

One fault I've noticed is I tend to hurry the down stroke and almost lunge at the ball. If I keep it smooth, it works every time.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag

I picked this up on Monday and have practiced all week at the range. No longer will my 60 degree sit in my bag mocking me. I used it all around the green and in the sand during practice. I can't wait to play tomorrow. I have improved more this week than any other. I feel very confident about my ball striking right now. The putting section was very useful to me as well.
Putter: Carbite
Wedges: Mizuno R-Series (54 & 60 degree)
Irons: Mizuno MX-900 (3-P)
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK FLI-HI (20 degree)
Woods: Mizuno MX-700 (3W & Driver)

I just won an ebay auction for $14 for a copy of this DVD. My decision was based on the good reviews here. I will make a full report when I had a chance to watch it.

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!