IGNORED

"Secrets of the Short Game" by Phil Mickelson

iacas
Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just got this dvd set from netflix. Great instructional video. It's funny, these are all techniques that I have learned and developed, but hearing it in different context and language definitely reinforced my good habits and gave me more confidence to just go and hit the shots.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the DVD s in yesterday and practice the basic concept in the back yard and was pretty impressed. I went and played a quick 9 and I was just fractions of an inch from chipping one in and a couple inches on another. I have to say just those few minutes of practice really helped.

I also sucked at putting and tried his method and sunk a few 8 footers ( one for Birdie). Have to say this was worth the cost.

• 2 weeks later...
Just watched them via Netfix. Totally has helped my game from 50 yards and in. Also love the putting drills he uses. The 3 foot circle with 10 balls is great. Lag put drill is great too. Highly recommend!!
The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

only seen putting so far
some awesome concepts i didnt know

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Just picked this up and have also only watched putting so far.
I played last night and what a difference just watching it once and trying it made on my putting. The 25/75 rule helped me ALOT, as did keeping my eyes behind the ball. I've always putted with my eyes right over top of the ball, but what a huge difference it made to be inside and behind.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

This DVD is excellent as the chipping method taught in it is truly something that turned my short game 180*. The only thing that needs some help is that Phil doesn't really talk about weight transfer, setup, grip and exact motion for the "hinge and hold" method so we are left to figure it out ourselves everything by watching him swing in slow motion. It took me a couple of weeks until I figured out how to make it work. But work it did evenutally! Completely worth it.

In putting section I followed the advice to move ball forward and incorporate a little bit of forward press. It also made my putting more stable.

Overall best instruction for anyone serious about practicing their game around the flag.

This DVD is excellent as the chipping method taught in it is truly something that turned my short game 180*. The only thing that needs some help is that Phil doesn't really talk about weight transfer, setup, grip and exact motion for the "hinge and hold" method so we are left to figure it out ourselves everything by watching him swing in slow motion. It took me a couple of weeks until I figured out how to make it work. But work it did evenutally! Completely worth it.

I agree that he really doesn't spill all the beans. But he does focus on a few simple things which i appreciate. I think if you do an in depth study of phil's dvd, stan's golf channel, utube and mycontent vids, and seve's vimeo vids , and then practice your ass off for a year or so, in a really good short game facility, your bound to make some improvement.

Shortgamewiz
c5_banana.gif

• 2 weeks later...
For the lob shot, he mentions not leading with the hosel because it'll lead to shanking shots. So I adjust my stance, regrip, but my swing is very uncomfortable; with the open stance, in order to swing in line with the pin my backswing is very close to me and cramped feeling, then the follow through feels like a stretch out away from my body - any idea what i'm doing wrong? it's not supposed to be a parallel swing to where my feet are "aiming" right?

In my Grom:

Driver: MX 560
Irons: Idea a3 3H, 4H, 5H, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW
Wedges: GT Tight Lies Sandwedge, GT Tight Lies LobwedgePutter: White Steel #5

I believe it is a parallel swing to your feet. You've opened the club face a lot so the net effect swinging normally (inline with your feet) is that the ball goes towards the pin. Otherwise, it's a severe inside out swing.
Driver - R9 460 9.5*
Woods - Diablo Edge 3 and 5
Irons - Diablo Edge 5-AW
Wedge - Spin Milled 56.14, 60.04
Putter - White Hot XG 330Ball - E52010 GoalsBreak 100, Break 90, Beat My Dad

I believe it is a parallel swing to your feet. You've opened the club face a lot so the net effect swinging normally (inline with your feet) is that the ball goes towards the pin. Otherwise, it's a severe inside out swing.

my bad on the original post. he does say to swing in line with your body on the flop shot.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

But then wouldn't I be leading with the hosel if the club face is open? I'm having a hard time understanding this - it seems like only one or the other is possible - open club face, lead with the hosel and swing parallel to feet (not perfectly in line at the pin), or open club face and swing outward so as to not lead with the hosel.

In my Grom:

Driver: MX 560
Irons: Idea a3 3H, 4H, 5H, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW
Wedges: GT Tight Lies Sandwedge, GT Tight Lies LobwedgePutter: White Steel #5

But then wouldn't I be leading with the hosel if the club face is open? I'm having a hard time understanding this - it seems like only one or the other is possible - open club face, lead with the hosel and swing parallel to feet (not perfectly in line at the pin), or open club face and swing outward so as to not lead with the hosel.

They way he states it in the video is to open your club face slightly, then open your stance so the opened clubhead face is pointed towards the pin. Basically when you open the club face, you'll notice the face turns away from you which would hit the ball in that direction. You need to turn your stance the opposite way to "re-align the direction of the club face. You just swing towards the pin. Atleast that's what I got out of it.

IN THE Nova BAG:
Cleveland Launcher, 10.5, ALDILA VS Prototype 60g S flex
Adams Fast10 3w
Cleveland Mashie M3 hybrid 20.5 S flex 
Ping G5 4-PWSGS 52, 58, 62Ping iwi anser 34"Bridgestone B330-RXS

• 3 weeks later...
I got this DVD a few weeks ago and it has really helped my short game. It does takes some practice to get used to and develop a feel for.

The first thing was it made it possible for me to hit some high chip shots with the ball sitting down in thick rough. before, i would either duff it or it would roll 20 feet past the hole. now i can pop it up nice and have it land soft...most of the time anyways. this is really helpful at one of the courses i play. The rough is always so thick it can cause lots of problems with touch shots. i've already hit some great shots with his system and it's very versitle (sp).

One more thing, has anyone else tried the hinge and hold from further than 50 yards. I have been hitting it with my 53* from 100 yards out as long as i dont have to stop the ball real quick. 100 yards is an in-between distance for me and i can easily hit my 53 to this distance. fades a little and runs a little after landing but it works. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this and if so, what do you think?

All in all, im glad i got it and it has already helped my game. I now have more shots in my bag and i can pull them off more often.

• 4 weeks later...
Kudos to Phil for this DVD! Got this from Golfsmith for $5 because they screwed up and order so they sent me a $50 gift card.

The most important and best tip in this DVD is to continue moving your hands toward the target on chips, sand and putting. I've read Stan Utley's books and find the techniques very similar but struggled with keeping the ball position forward and not chunking the chip. I was keeping the ball at my back toe until I saw this DVD. The hands tip was the final clue. It was probably in Stan's book, but Phil really emphasizes it.

what's cool is now if I want loft on the chip, I put the ball at my left heel. If I want more run out, ball back at my right heel.

I was playing with a buddy who was struggling with chips and told him the tip. It worked wonders.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can only recommend those who haven't watched the CD, to just go out there and get it as soon as possible. Phil's lessons were amazing and the way he talked was so easy to understand, and fun.

You'll definitely get your money's worth buying his CD.

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!