IGNORED

favorite irons you've ever owned?

Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ram Tour Grind blades. I've got 3 sets from the late 80's. Although lately, the Titleists have been in the bag. No reason other than I'm lazy and the Rams need new grips. My favorite irons arw the ones in the trunk right now!

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

topping the ball has NOTHING to do with your irons. its your swing.

Wow, what a genius, original remark that was! I wasn't topping the ball before - that's why I made the remark. Maybe something changed my swing, huh? Apparently you have the mind set that it isn't possible that the changes in the constructiion of a set of clubs - each club's weight, lengh, swing weight, loft, lie, composition, not to mention sound, feel and balance - doesn't have an affect on or change one's golf swing? Do you have any clue as to why there are so many changes going on with the construction of golf clubs? Do you think Taylormade and Callaway would stay in business if not for their array of "game improvement" which really means "swing improvement" products if they didn't really change people's swings? Really??

You mean all these aspects of a golf club changes from what a person plays with for a long period of time and it's not going to affect his, or her's golf swing? HMMM. I suppose you think that all golf clubs are the same and one's swing isn't going to change even if a club's dynamics might force it to? Ok, that may have been more wrath then your negative comment deserved - as I too have a basic sense that if you have a good solid fundamental golf swing - the club doesn't matter. But the improvement in the clubs over the years really has proved that line of thinking to be obsolete. Further, to back up my point - I've played 54 holes with these since my last comments and recorded rounds averaging 82 - I"d say, not bad for playing with a new set of irons, huh? I"d say my swing has made the necessary adjustments to these irons, wouldn't you? huh? did you hear what I said? adjustments? for a new set of irons? HMMM!

• Administrator
Wow, what a genius, original remark that was! I wasn't topping the ball before - that's why I made the remark. Maybe something changed my swing, huh? Apparently you have the mind set that it isn't possible that the changes in the constructiion of a set of clubs - each club's weight, lengh, swing weight, loft, lie, composition, not to mention sound, feel and balance - doesn't have an affect on or change one's golf swing? Do you have any clue as to why there are so many changes going on with the construction of golf clubs? Do you think Taylormade and Callaway would stay in business if not for their array of "game improvement" which really means "swing improvement" products if they didn't really change people's swings? Really??

Dude, a few things.

1) calm down 2) "game improvement" does not mean "swing improvement." Not one bit. 3) the guy's right: the construction of the clubs has NOTHING to do with you topping the ball. It's likely all in your head. 4) you ASKED if people had a problem topping that set of irons. 5) calm down
You mean all these aspects of a golf club changes from what a person plays with for a long period of time and it's not going to affect his, or her's golf swing? HMMM. I suppose you think that all golf clubs are the same and one's swing isn't going to change even if a club's dynamics might force it to?

Unless your clubs are two inches shorter or longer, incredibly different in weight, or have shafts that are two flexes stiffer or weaker, no - your swing's not going to change dramatically for the new clubs.

Ok, that may have been more wrath then your negative comment deserved - as I too have a basic sense that if you have a good solid fundamental golf swing - the club doesn't matter. But the improvement in the clubs over the years really has proved that line of thinking to be obsolete.

No, it hasn't.

If you're topping the ball because of your new irons, it's in your head. And again, calm down. Nothing the guy said warranted this reaction (and over-reaction) at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a set of Golfsmith P2's with Rifle 6.0 shafts that I love, but I'm starting to love the 3DX Pros just as much.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

holy cow! lol, well, 1. i wasnt aware that every post had to be either Genius or Original (like yours), sorry about that. 2. did you see my little ? that kinda meant i was joking because i thought you were too ( who would think the iron would be the cause of your topping the ball? ). 3. see iacas' response 4. SHEESH!

Further, to back up my point - I've played 54 holes with these since my last comments and recorded rounds averaging 82 - I"d say, not bad for playing with a new set of irons, huh? I"d say my swing has made the necessary adjustments to these irons, wouldn't you?

isnt that EXACTLY what my original post stated: ITS YOUR SWING, NOT THE IRONS

what was the point of all that??? lol, grow up...

My current irons which are Ping ISI or IST? Not sure which specific they are either because I bought them used from a friends father. I enjoy them quite a bit even though they are a big long for me because he was a bit taller than I am.
In My Bag (upgrading soon hopefully)

Driver: TiSI 10°
Irons: ISI Black Dot 3-PW (minus lost 5i)
Putter G5i Piper JMAX Milled Wedge 52°Ball: Whatever I Can Find

• 2 weeks later...
Mizuno MP-33's, I just plain wore them out; but they were definitely the sweetest feeling irons I've ever owned.

Driver: Callaway FT-9 I-MIX -Aldila VooDoo XVS7
Wood: Callaway FT Tour #3 - Fujikura Fit-On E370 X-Flex
Hybrid: TM Rescue Mid #3 - Project X Flighted 6.5
Irons: Mizuno MP52 (3-PW) - Project X Flighted 6.5
Wedges: Muria 54* & 60* - Rifle SpinnerPutter: Scotty Cameron Red X2Ball: Pro V1

When they wear out, ill probably just get another set.

Precisely, it makes me wonder why someone's favorite irons aren't in their bag anymore. If they were the best (for you), then why aren't you gaming them anymore? Lol.

I love the 690mb's, my favorite sticks so far. Thinkin' about going to the 690.mb though. Also considering the AP2's... I guess it's they're only your favorite until you find something better.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

MP-30, I am now hooked on Mizuno forged irons. Was playing Cleveland TA7 until about two years ago, saw some MP-30's on Craigslist for cheap and thought I would try a better player's iron. Took some getting used to, but now I'm addicted to the "click" of a pure shot.

Driver - TM Tour Burner 9.5*
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Plus
Hybrid -Titleist 585H 19*
Irons - Mizuno MP-30
Wedges - Vokey 52* & 56*Putter - SC Newport 2

Mizuno MP 33
Boy, they were really swell

I play the MP 32's now and they are nice enuff but...

Taylor Made driver (today)
Sonartec 4w - Nippon steel
Nickent Hybrid - Nippon steel
Mizuno MP 32 - Nippon steel
Cleveland Wedges (Lotta chrome)Putter by BettinardiYikes Batman, you have a mongrel bag !!!

Wilson Pro Staff forged Tour Blades that I bought in 1985. I don't use them but they look good and hold a lot of memories.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

My Eye2s were my favorites, hands dopwn, and were in my bag for all of my best rounds.

But eventually they turned on me, and I decided to go the G10 route for more forgiveness. We'll see if that helps. So far it has, but I do still dream about movijng back to the old clubs at some point.

the ones i currently have

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

Wilson FG-17s although the more I use my current MacGregor 1025Ms, the more I like them; not topped the FG-17s I grew up with though .

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

my current ones, but my old cobra cxi's are a close second...
Driver: Taylor Made R9, Woods: Callaway Hyper X 3 wood, Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 20 degree Irons: Callaway X-20's, Wedge: Cleveland 588 56 degree, Putter: Cleveland CC 6 Classic Black Platinum, Ball: Noodle, Shoes: Contour

Maryland Golf and Country Club in Bel Air, MD.

Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!