IGNORED

Animals on the course

golfaddiction
Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On Monday I saw a baby otter poke his head out of the grass at the ponds edge guarding the 12 hole as I walked by. Haven't seen an otter in more than twenty years in the wild here in Minnesota.
ogio.gifedge bag
titleist.gifdriver 10.5* 907D1, 15* 906f2, 18* 906f2
wilson_staff.gif21* hybrid, 3-PW PI7, TW9 wedges
wilson_staff.gif: 8802, 8813, or Arnold Palmer Original
wilson_staff.gifX1 or 50

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the course in my signature. That course is less than a mile from Lake Ponchatrain (which borders New Orleans on the north side of the city), and is connected to the lake via various canals. As you can imagine, in South Louisiana, I see a ton of different animals everytime I play. There are always tons of ducks, and I occaisionally see some alligators. 2/3 of the holes are bordered by water at some point, so I usually see some fish jumping as well.

A few weeks ago during a round with a friend of mine, I'm approaching my ball in the fairway, and I look up towards the pin. About halfway between me and the pin was a black cat crossing the fairway. I hate cats and I'm extremely superstitious, and I'll probably get flamed for this like crazy, but I had to drop a ball and at least try a shot at new found target. Luckily, I didnt hit it, and yeah, it was juvenile and stupid, but someone should have told him he was walking in front of the wrong person!!:)

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Apart from birds all I've seen is the odd rabbit.

I do have one wildlife story though. A friend and I were about to tee off and we saw a magpie chasing a sparrow around in the air, as soon as the sparrow landed the magpie speared it with its beak and started eating it right next to the tee box.

I used to chef at this country club over here in Almaden foothills and and we were driving up to the 5th green, my friend stops the cart, turns to me with the most frightened look on his face and says..."is that a f*cking bobcat?!" I said "dude, turn the f*ck around and get out of here!"

Needless to say there was a bobcat walking around the green looking for two unsuspecting golfers to munch on...lol

I hate how there's governors on carts when you really need some speed!

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

A Diving Duck at a course in North Jersey and a Gator on the middle of the fairway on Hilton Head.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

Big gators, venemous snakes (rattlers, water mocs), and alot of the other wildlife people listed.

A 10 foot gator was sunning itself on the fairway on a par 3. This fairway was not very wide. Do we complete the hole or not? That was the question. I think we woke it up because it got startled and tore butt into the water hazard. They can move fast!

Every shot into the woods can be a problem with snakes, bees, etc.

This is one reason why I don't play $4.00 balls.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

Seen most of the usual suspects listed here, my favorites have been the road runners in Tucson, also partial to prairie dogs. Strangest was probably the javelina in Tucson. Here in Western New York I've run into entire families of deer, and all kinds of birds. Favorite bird out here on the course is the red-winged blackbird.

My home course in the Palm Springs area has lots of roadrunners, rabbits, snakes, lizards, and a family of bobcats that I've seen twice.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

A few deer, turkeys, bald eagles, turtles, snakes - this year I've seen: Western Ribbon, Common Garter, Gopher Snake, Blue Racer, Diamondback Water Snake. None of which are venomous.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Turtles. Not in itself unusual, but at a nearby "Executive" course (mostly part 3s) there's a pond with a wide cement wall on one side a couple feet high. Sometimes there are 10 or 15 turtles sunning themselves on top of this wall, very nice. If they didn't have those carapaces they'd prolly not be so relaxed out there - within spraying range of people like me ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

theres not much on my home course but lots of rabbits and big groups of seagulls (100 or so) and a group of Pukekos which are endangered i think.

If I hit it right, it's a slice. If I hit it left, it's a hook. If I hit it straight, it's a miracle.

I have meet a varity of critters here in Michigan including, deer, red fox, squirrels, rabbits, skunks, turtles, frogs, eagles, hawks, wild turkeys, red winged black birds, cardinals, blue jays, etc. In Alaska I meet a Moose, in Florida an alligator, in Death Valley, CA (Furnace Creek G.C.) coyotes, in Thailand a snake (I didnot bother to ask what kind) and some wild elephants.

I'm partial to Tess, the border collie at my home course.
Scroll down a bit to see, at the link below.

http://www.harborlinks.com/Default.a...d=126720&vnf;=1

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

playing this afternoon at the Crispin Course at Oglebay. I saw about 20-25 deer. Including a little baby deer.

My wife was taking a bunch of pictures, not watching where my ball was going

In my Staff bag:
Bazooka HP-5 Driver 460cc
Bazooka OS HP-5 3/5 Woods
Jmax QL Irons 5-PW (Graphite Stiff Shafts)
X-tour Gap Wedge 52* X-tour Sand Wedge 56* Lob Wedge 60* Rossa Daytona 1 Putter

I see Grizzly Bears, Black Bears, Elk, Deer, Coyote. woodpeckers, Ground Squirrels and of course lots of Geese

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

Can't say I've seen anything not mentioned. There was a deer at the driving range once...about 220 yds out by a tree. A friend offered a wager if I could hit it. After about 5 tries I one hopped it, right in the vitals!!

oh my theres a long list:

bald eagle
turtle (on the tee box while we were hitting. it was pretty funny)
alligator
crocodile
geese
frogs
deer
rabbits
squirrels
flock of seagulls (I ran so far away- they were coming right at me)
water moccasin (snake)
crows- damn you taking my chips!
a dog or two
lynx
fox
gazelle
and a partidge in a pear tree.

Thats about all I can remember right now. The turtle and the lynx were memorable ones.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!