IGNORED

Unsolicited Advice

jrm1493
Note: This thread is 1750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played today and we were paired up with a guy who constantly gave my partner advice. My partner is very much a beginner, and this guy was constantly telling him what to do which I think really rattled him. He ended up shooting 136 which is terrible even for him - last time out he shot a 110 or something (his scores are very honest as we both try to stick to the rules very strictly).

This guy is what I would call a bomber, he smashed the ball (300+ yard drives), but he was really wild with the driver, and his short game was not that good. He shot an 86 (which was probably really an 89 because I saw him hit at least 3 balls OB and drop by the margin of OB).

His constant advice to my friend really got on both our nerves, I ended up playing pretty badly as well, shot a 96 which included 3 complete blow ups (2 quads and a triple). I just don't understand why people that really aren't all that good want to give so much advice (or really why anyone at all would give so much unsolicited advice). The funny thing was he never gave me a single piece of advice which I find strange.

Another mild rant was that the round took about 5 hours, and we also started about 30 minutes late because of how backed up it was... its memorial day so I was expecting it to be slow, but it was pretty bad.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

Was he giving advice like your friend was an idiot, or was he just trying to be nice but got annoying?

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

On the practice range at our home course, there is this guy who walks up and sometimes gives advice, surely most of it wrong. And he makes these posts here on the Sand Trap about swinging from the ground up, using the body, keeping the club from getting trapped behind you, and such -- sounds like a broken record. I know he is kinda annoying from time to time. If he's so good, how come he missed four putts today under 5 feet and shot 76 (one of them was a missed birdie from 3 & 1/2 feet -- lipped it right out.) He gets on my nerves playing like that. I'll even tell you the moniker he uses for posting here: it is that "RC" guy. Don't listen to anything he says about putting.

Yours truly,
RC

RC

Sorry... did not mean to highjack your thread. Those advice guys surely can be annoying.

RC

Very funny RC.

I got paired up with an unwanted advice giver this week. He not only wanted to give me tips, but he was trying to get me to understand his swing (which was absolutely awful).

Here is the capper (I hope he's not on this website... whatever): At one point i was set up to chip from the fringe, pin about 8' away uphill, and he walked by me before I hit my shot and says "you should putt that". I was chipping because its something I'm trying to work on, but OK... thanks for the tip dude. And I really don't need you telling me that before I hit my shot...

Anyways I end up stubbing it and leave it 4' short, and of course he says "see! I told you you should putt that!" Then he lines up his ball which was on the finge as well, and putts it in. "Just ... LIKE.... TTTTHHHHAAAAT!" he yells as it rolls in... the only putt over 3 feet he made all day. I was soooo pissed, but still somehow managed to make my putt.

I have more stories, but I'll stop with that.

Anyways, I ignored him as much as possible, but I still found myself in a bad mood because of it, and it really did not help my game. I guess that is part of golf.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Was he giving advice like your friend was an idiot, or was he just trying to be nice but got annoying?

If people are nice about it, I understand they are trying to help. I get it off and on from strangers. Sometimes, they're right. I just tell them I'm aware of some things I do poorly and am focusing on other areas right now with the help of an instructor. Usually the conversation shifts to who I'm working with and who they've used.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

Played today and we were paired up with a guy who constantly gave my partner advice. My partner is very much a beginner, and this guy was constantly telling him what to do which I think really rattled him. He ended up shooting 136 which is terrible even for him - last time out he shot a 110 or something (his scores are very honest as we both try to stick to the rules very strictly).

its wierd ive never got unsolicited advice on the course well there was one time someone told me i should wear golf shoes,but that was back wen i didnt have any

That is harsh, but it is also true. People who do this are very rude and unsportsmanlike. In its extreme form it can ruin someone's round, which is an unforgiveable blunder.

If it gets bad, just take the person aside quietly (where noone else can hear) and politely explain that you are working on your own game issues and unsolicited advice greatly interferes with your concentration, not to mention your enjoyment of the game.

If that doesn't do it, you will have to take stronger measures. This behavior is totally unacceptable IMO. You will be doing a lot of other golfers a big favor by setting this person straight. Maybe he'll even thank you for it later when he's more sophisticated about the game.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

There's nothing worse, I had one stranger stand in front of me (parallel to my shoulders and just a few feet away) as I addressed the ball, just like an instructor would, this happened 3-4 times during my round. Then he requests to borrow my new driver for a few hits.

This is my number 1 hate and I have committed to politely inform any future offerors of unsolicated advice to mind their own business.

I have to agree it's really really annoying.
I play with my brother in-law (because I feel obliged), he is a Hcap 18 and I am 27. I have been playing under a year but coming along not too bad. Still often hit around 105-110 though.

He often tries to get me to move my feet, hands, etc. I know he is trying to help but it really just hacks me off and probably makes me play worse because I'm annoyed.

He is also really bad for saying things like "ssssh that guy is taking his shot" even if Im whispering. Then he wont shut his trap when I am taking mine.

So I know just what you mean, except I feel roped into playing this guy often. At least you can never play him again!

I played with a guy like that last year. He was a hacker, but for some reason felt compelled to tell me how high to tee my ball on each hole.

Still, I prefer that to a former boss I played with who stood about 3 feet in front of me (sort of in 'golf instructor' position) everytime I went to hit a shot, and despite me asking him to move at least 35 times during the round.

Well, it kinda depends... If I know the person and we have a history of playing together, know each others tendencies, etc. - I generally wouldn't mind - if it were occasional.

I actually play with a friend of mine, and when we go out, its more of a practice round where we are providing feedback for each other whenever possible... both of us benefit.

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

He shot 86 or so, your friend shoots over 130. Might it have been frustrating for him also? That's the problem with public golf, your paired up with whomever and it can be fun or really be a pain in the neck for everyone concerned, not just you, but everyone.

No matter what the situation I don't feel it is appropriate to give advice, unless asked.
I've never given unsolicited advice. I've received it a couple times and made it clear (and probably coming off like quite the jerk) that I am currently playing a round, not filming a "playing lessons with the pros" episode.

One time as I lined up down the right side of the fairway to hit a draw off the tee a guy we were playing with yelled "stop! wait, you are aiming to the right" just as I was starting my swing. He felt bad afterwards and apologized (especially since I blew my drive way right and lost my ball) but it was uncalled for.

I hate being on the course with "that guy." If someone asks for advice or wants you to watch their swing and then comment, that's a different story.

We played with a guy a couple of weeks ago that was making the dumbest comments to us.

Someone would leave a putt short and he would say "Boy, you really need to hit that type of putt a bit harder."

Oh Really? Thanks for that amazing advice. I couldn't figure out that a putt that was left short needed to be hit harder.

Miss a fairway to the left. "You need to try and get the ball back closer to the center."

You get the idea. Harvey Penick has good advice on this topic as well. Never give advice unless someone is asking you for it.

The worse you play the more likely you are to get unsolicited advice. Sad but true. I've seen this happen plenty. Usually I can play well enough that those well meaning people who feel the need to help turn their attentions elsewhere. Of course I imagine we all are guilty of doing this just a little. There is nothing harder to watch that some poor slob who can't hit the ball 50' in front of them. Repeatedly. In that situation it's hard not to say something. Still I make it a point of never giving any kind of detailed advice. The most I'll say is "slow down", or "don't try to hit it so hard". Those are keys I use and they really can't hurt someone any more than they are already hurting themselves. Still the guy who insists on giving advice even when you tell him no thanks has to be one of the most annoying people on the course.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

next time this happens to anyone, just take the "friendly" (I'm not looking to join the Tour next week approach, I'm just out having fun, but thanks anyways for the advice speech) and in more cases then not it works, they get the message

Note: This thread is 1750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!