IGNORED

"Three (3) Clubs Only" Master Thread

huphtur
Note: This thread is 1305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was telling a buddy of mine (who's a very respectable golfer) that my local golf club sometimes holds "3 club tourneys" where you're only allowed to bring in three clubs and your putter. He said that would be a cool challenge, so he tried it himself and has been playing a few rounds with 3+1 clubs: 3 wood, 6 iron, 9 iron and his putter.

He's actually been playing really good with it, maybe one or two strokes above his average. He's saying that this 3+1 really helped him improve with his feel . He was telling his local club pro about 3+1 and he was even saying that he used to play with just 1 club, not even a putter.

So this morning my buddy went out and played with ONLY a 6 iron. He said you really gotta concentrate on putting, but it can be done. Suprisingly he was better at making long puts than short puts.

Has anybody else played with 3 or less clubs?

• Administrator
We've done this with the golf team in the past. They hate it, but a few of them realize the value and score pretty well.

I've played with just a five iron and I tend to shoot just a few shots over my average. I don't get into trouble, but I can't get to every hole in regulation, so they balance out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to do this with my dad all the time. It's a great way to learn how to use clubs creatively, and it's fun for a change of pace.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I was just playing a round last month and this was the subject of conversation. The idea the one guy had was to bring irons that suit the par 3 holes and forget the putter.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

• 1 year later...
If you were going to play a "three club" tournament (18 holes on par 72 course), which clubs would you choose? I need to make this decision for an upcoming event and was think along the lines:

3W - for driving and everything long in fairway.
5 iron - for 125 to ~200 yards and long rough.
52 deg wedge - for everything less than 125 yards, sand and putting.

Anyone try putting with a wedge?

Burner 9.5
Titleist 909F2 15.5
Titleist 909H 21
Callaway X20 4-AW
Vokey 56.10 60.04(SM)Odyssey TriForce 1

good thread!

i play in one of these every december with my society - it's just a bit of fun.

i would usually bring 3 wood, 7 iron and putter.

putter being the most important club in the bag - and i can get a 7iron out of a greenside bunker.

Considered a wedge to putt, i might try it next year, bring a 6 iron. In fact, this year i used a 4 iron, 8 iron, putter, there was 40mph wind blowing so some par 4's were out of reach in 2!

We added another element this year - we play in 3's, each 3some is given a yellow ball which has to be rotated (like i play with it on 1, 4, 7, player B on 2, 5, 8 and player C on 3 6 9.) You add up your handicap stableford score with that ball - winner got a prize. I lost the yellow ball on hole 2!

If you;re comfortable putting with a non-putter club, go for it - you'll have more choice on the course. I've seen people putting with drivers, 1irons, wedges and jiggers!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

3w - Carry anywhere from 190-240. Don't think i'd ever pick a driver in this situation because many holes require laying up short of a hazard.

7i - I feel pretty versatile with this club, all the way up to about 160 yards if needed.

Putter - I'd be lost without it, i'd probably hole 1 outa 10 3 footers with my wedge.

I want 3 utility clubs; 3 clubs that can do a LOT of things.

2i Hybrid - Long off the tee, long off the fairway, and really easy to putt with.
7 Iron - Great for midrange distances & while in the tall stuff.
53* Wedge - Can go long, can go short, great for chips, greenside bunker work.

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

I'd go with...
18* hybrid
7 iron
putter
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

putting with a long iron isnt that bad. or even 3 wood. hold it down the shaft or use an iron and hit thehemisphere of the ball which will make it roll.
my 2 cents
i'd go with 3 wood, 4 iron and sw.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Easy

2i Hybrid
8 iron
56* wedge

Driver: G10 10.5 Stock Shaft
3 Wood: Taylormade r580XD
Irons: AP2 3-P, Project X 5.5
Wedges: Tour-W 52*, 56* SM, 60* SM
Putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5 34"Ball: ProV1 or ProV1xLow Score:74

4 iron hybrid

Pitching Wedge

Putter

I can hit bmy hybrid around 200 yards, so that would be decent for something off the tee.

I'm envious of all of you who can put with ANYTHING other than a putter. There would be skid marks all over the green if I was hacking away at it trying to putt with anything else.

In My Bag

Driver: 907 D1 10.5 Regular flex
3 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19Hybrid: Rescue Dual 225-GW: G5Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 58Putter: White Hot 2-ballBall: Mojo

putter
3 wood
8 iron?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Hey!!!!!!!!!!

It is! How 'bout that Dawg?!?!

In My Bag

Driver: 907 D1 10.5 Regular flex
3 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19Hybrid: Rescue Dual 225-GW: G5Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 58Putter: White Hot 2-ballBall: Mojo

Played in this format once a LONG time ago and I took 3 wood, 5 iron and PW.

If I had to do it over, I might take my 9 instead of PW. I used the 5 iron for putting and it wasn't too bad. Just need to get used to the weight. Lag putting wasn't easy with it.

FT-i 9.5* Speeder 686 Stiff
906F2 15* UST Proforce V2 75 Stiff
3DX Ironwood 17* & 20* UST Proforce V2 Stiff
MX-20 4-PW Dynamic Gold Lite S300
Vokey Oil Can 52* & 56*Yes Tiffany 34"

I actually played in a one club tourney a few times. I usually took a 4 or 5 iron. If I had 3 I'd go with

18* Hybrid
7 Iron
Gape wedge with low bounce

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

Note: This thread is 1305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!