IGNORED

It could get ugly at Winged Foot

NCGolfer
Note: This thread is 6526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Can someone answer this question for me. Phils 2nd shot on 18. What happened. Am I wrong or did they not explain what happened. I think his shot hit a tree and came back but i have no clue. Im working now and am not near a television. Alls I heard one of the announcers say is that ball is heading backwards towards him.

He hit a tree about 50 yards ahead of him and the ball came back 25 yards. So he gained very little and had basically the same shot for his third as he did for his second.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Ogilvie is the only guy who deserves credit. He held it together at the finish, although he probably perceived a lot less pressure than was actually on him at the time. My hats off to him.

Pet peeve, but it's Ogilvy. Joe Ogilvie didn't do so well in this tournament.

Edit: this will make for some interesting talk in next week's podcast... not the misspelling, but the tournament in general.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's your pet peeve huh? Might be a good idea to focus on something different for a while.

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

Yeah, phil blew up but so did 3 or 4 others...harrington, furyk, monte...i mean i don't think any of them looked at the scoreboard...that being said..

Phil hit his shot, hit a tree and came back at him...there was no camera looking that way so it was not shown...why not take an iron though :(....i think that was what we call "pulling a van de velde ( british open destruction).
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

When the leaders were just making the turn, I thought hard who I'd like to see win the tournament. There were only two that immediatlely came to mind:

Furyk
Ogilvy

I just like Furyk and was pissed when he missed that last putt. I wanted Ogilvy to win for a different reason. He was the most consistent player throughout the entire week. There wasn't anyone that truly deserved to win the US Open, but Ogilvy never wavered throughout the week. 9 birides and 14 bogeys...no doubles or others.

Mickelson made one double...and we know where that came.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
That's your pet peeve huh? Might be a good idea to focus on something different for a while.

Unfortunately, one of many.

I just think our (U.S. people anyway) national champion deserves to have his name spelled properly.

• Administrator
I just like Furyk and was pissed when he missed that last putt.

I was more pissed about his leaving a 25-foot birdie putt 12 feet short, then missing the par putt.

9 birides and 14 bogeys...no doubles or others.

Good note. Phil also hit about four fewer fairways all week than some players did in one round. The only reason he stuck around was because he seemed to get reasonable lies nearly every time he missed the fairways.

Though I must admit, he did get a gnarly one when he hit his 4-wood two feet. But then again, perhaps he should have wedged out... and he did hit it across the fairway to find that lie (from the fairway bunker). So he made his own grave there. All things considered, a good bogey...

• Administrator

I didn't say this, as the comment comes from Tom Kilpatrick at

this blog entry at Golf Digest , but I wanted to pass it on:
In all my 53 years of playing golf, this is the worst meltdown and worse than Norman at the Masters. JM is correct- Phils "hell bent for leather" attitude is pitiful. Rick and Dave need to tell him if he can't learn to get the job done by finesse(golf) and not myway or noway at all, then they will quit coaching him. Phil is not a consumate professional golfer and deserves the derision he gets. It hurts us for him but like Tiger did not play finesse at Brookline and now he does - Phil needs to learn. Maybe this lesson in humility will sink in and soon.

Kinda mirrors my "no credit at all for being a mad scientist braintrust who dissected anything" comment above.

• Administrator

Another interesting quote from

this article .
Mickelson needs to forget about his swing coaches and get a coach who will teach him course management. He already has a great swing, but still doesn't understand when to play safe and when to gamble. And, it cost him the Open this year. Colin Montgomerie needs a head coach. He plays a brilliant game of golf until the pressure is on. Then he does a predictable swoon.

Mickelson took his place in history next to Jean Van De Velde. The tee shot was unnecessary, he could have hit four iron and had a seven iron second shot.

The frist attempt out of trouble broke the cardinal rule; "Never follow a bad shot with a stupid shot."

The second attempt was no more rational than the first - I think he had given up or gone into shock at that point. Shame on him and shame on Bones for not shutting his ego down long enough to win a very special tournament and forever be a part of history - not that he isn't now! (Shades of Tin Cup)

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

i know people have said stuff about johnny miller's announcing, but is it me or is he ALWAYS talking about how i shot sounds... he did it more saturday but he would say, "oh that shot sounded bad" and it would land like 20 feet from the hole, and then he was like that shot sounds good and it was across the green from the hole....

another question...when u heard phil's ball went into a trash can did anyone else want to see him play it as it lay?????

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

In all my 53 years of playing golf, this is the worst meltdown and worse than Norman at the Masters. JM is correct- Phils "hell bent for leather" attitude is pitiful. Rick and Dave need to tell him if he can't learn to get the job done by finesse(golf) and not myway or noway at all, then they will quit coaching him. Phil is not a consumate professional golfer and deserves the derision he gets. It hurts us for him but like Tiger did not play finesse at Brookline and now he does - Phil needs to learn. Maybe this lesson in humility will sink in and soon.

I am not sure if that is it, obviously the guy is playing much more better then he did a few years back, that is not even arguable. It had to be a mental breakdown, sitting at home and being a 9 handicap like myself, I could swear on a stack of bibles I would have hit an iron off of that tee. How does Phil Mickelson not know to play a shorter club in that situation, it doesnt make sense. I still dont think its as bad as Van De Velde though, that one was tough to watch.

(I dont know how to do the quotes thing above, so i copied and pasted)
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Also about Johnny Millers announcing, hearing Dottie and Johnny a hundred times during the telecast was starting to make me mad. lol
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Phil Van de Vedle.
What's in the Bag?
Driver:Nike NDS Ti with MFS 40+ Shaft.
3 wood and 5 wood: Tommy Armour 845 Hot Scott.
Irons (3-PW) Nicklaus IronMax JNS
Wedges: Vokey 200 Series 52 degrees. Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreesPutter: TaylorMade Rossa Modena 8.Ball: Ben Hogan The Hawk.

Note: This thread is 6526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!