IGNORED

Need more distance with irons

Note: This thread is 5406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently using Taylormade RAC tp mb blades, and i am not getting enough yardage with them. What are some good cavity backs or half blade/cavity backs? I am thinking about getting the Mizuno mp-52's, but i am not sure. Also, will getting cavity backs increase my iron distance by about 5 yards? Thanks =) (btw, im 15 and i am 5'6)

909 D2 -9.5 Degrees -Diamana BlueBoard
mp 52 irons
newport 2
CG 12 52 degree
Cg 15 60 degreeOvation 3 and 5 wood Penta TP

I played the Mizuno MP 32's for years before changing to Ping i5's for a year. Now I am playing the MP 52's with the Pings now reserved as my backup set. I just love Mizuno irons what can I say. I am not sure changing irons to get 5 extra yards is worth it to me, but that is just MHO. I am longer with my irons now at age 56 than I was at 36 because I have a better swing.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

80% of the club's performance is that shaft. If you like your irons, I'd consider new shafts first. If you just want new clubs, then get whatever you want, but I've yet to find that magic extra 5 yards in a stick (see my sig). You're 15... give it 2 years and an extra 10-20 is bound to show up! It was many years ago but IIRC, I gained 2 full club lengths between my soph and Sr. year of HS. Patience Grasshopper!

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Hey I am 17 so I know what your going through... Between 15 and now I have gained a ton of yardage. It will come butttt, my ping s59 played pretty deep, as did my muzzy mp32. Sent you a pm as well

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I am currently using Taylormade RAC tp mb blades, and i am not getting enough yardage with them. )

Yes you are. Just hit them straight.

Those clubs probably have dynamic gold shafts, so the shaft changing makes a lot of sense. What shafts are in them right now?

the short game equalizes everything
FT-5 Draw 10.5
NVG woods 3,5,7,9
Orlimar 4hy
Wilson DI-5 Irons 6-pwTurner wedge 51* bent to 53*TM TP 54* SW bent to 57*Wilson Kirk Currie #2 Mid MalletLaddie X

Also check your lofts, they may be weaker than others. Also, being their blades you've got to strike the ball really solid to get the distance out of them.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

Also check your lofts, they may be weaker than others. Also, being their blades you've got to strike the ball really solid to get the distance out of them.

Exactly. I had TM R7 Draw irons before I switched to the Mizuno MP-57. I lost 10 yrd per iron. It wasn't until I realized that the loft was different and that was the reason for the difference in distance.

• Administrator
Loft isn't everything... musclebacks tend to have a higher center of gravity and hit the ball lower than similarly lofted cavity-backs (which put the weight low in the clubhead).

Also, shaft flex (and clubhead weight), etc. matter too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How far are you currently hitting your irons?
You could try the Taylormade r7 tp's and you might gsin some distance.

Um, i hit the 7 iron about 145, and the shafts that are currently in them are dynamic gold regulars, but they are cut down an inch, so i think that makes them a bit stiffer.

mp 52 irons
newport 2
CG 12 52 degree

Um, i hit the 7 iron about 145, and the shafts that are currently in them are dynamic gold regulars, but they are cut down an inch, so i think that makes them a bit stiffer.

When i was 15 i played my 7 to something like 140 as well. when i turned 16 it was up to something like 160, now at 17 i am at 170..

Its not your clubs. perhaps your not striking it well enough to be playing blades, perhaps you dont create enough lag, there could be any number of things. You could go out and get a stronglofted set like the Cobra S9, but you will still be hitting a 7 140 yards, it will just say 8 on the bottom :) Give it time. The MB are great blades, i would love to have them, you just need to grow a little bit and figure out your swing.. figuring out gear that fits your swing will come later. edit- how far are you hitting your driver and woods?

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I hit my driver around 250 to 260. My 5 wood goes about 200, and my 3 wood goes around 225.

mp 52 irons
newport 2
CG 12 52 degree

New irons won't make the ball travel farther.

If you have clubs that fit you properly, then it's your swing that inhibits you from hitting the ball farther. That becomes an entirely different conversation...

I hit my driver around 250 to 260. My 5 wood goes about 200, and my 3 wood goes around 225.

Yeah. New clubs won't do jack for you, just accept the fact that that's how far you hit the ball... I play with a guy who hits the same distances you do and he is almost scratch. So that's your new goal, not to hit the ball further

Also, why are you playing forged musclebacks if you care about distance so much? Those irons aren't meant for distance they're made for the highest possible ammount of control.

Note: This thread is 5406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!