IGNORED

consistent yardage from 60 deg wedge?

Duffy
Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see a lot of comments on here with guys posting their distances for their 60 Wedge. Does EVERY club have to be about distance? I never use my 60 degrees with a full rotational 'Coiled' shot. If I need to hit it that far, I'd rather hit an smooth 56 or 51 degree club, and feel in control of the distance.
I'd definitely suggest not 'trying' to hit it. Just a nice relaxed free flowing swing, with soft hands. Whatever distance that flies your ball is your answer. Try and groove that distance.

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

It is MUCH easier to me to not take a whole lot off. I hit alot of pulls and fat shots when I try to swing easy. I can only hit my 64 max about 71-72 yards but I feel really confident hitting it 65 yards. I don't ever try to hit it over 70 yards under normal conditions but just a touch less (a yard or two) I feel good about my chances. I am hitting it at 90-95% max yardage to get the best results for me.

I wish I could go practice tonight but I can't. I love hitting great wedges and I haven't been as diligent as I was about practicing since I had a kid. The half shots are really hard for me.

Brian

I see a lot of comments on here with guys posting their distances for their 60 Wedge.

That's what the game is about...distances.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It just takes practice. A 60* has so much loft that its easy to either skull it and hit the ball longer than you want to or hit it way fat and have it go only about half the distance you intend.
Ive always hit my 60* pretty well but as with any other club, it takes a bit of practice to get it dialed in.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

That's what the game is about...distances.

No, no, no its not.

It's about putting up a good number* And that being said, I don't have a full 60 degree yardage. If a shot would take a full lob wedge, I hit a punch gap wedge or a soft sand wedge. * - and having fun
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I see a lot of comments on here with guys posting their distances for their 60 Wedge. Does EVERY club have to be about distance? I never use my 60 degrees with a full rotational 'Coiled' shot. If I need to hit it that far, I'd rather hit an smooth 56 or 51 degree club, and feel in control of the distance.

With a wedge in your hands, it is more about distance control than direction. I could explain it better if I remembered trig, but a pull or push of 10* when you are hitting it 60 yards is not nearly as bad as when you are hitting it 150 yards.

- Shane

No, no, no its not.

How do you put up a good number? Hitting it correct distances. There is more ways than one to skin a cat or hit it 66 yards.

Brian

Distance control with wedges is where 5 handicaps turn into scratch players.

There isn't a club I would rather have in my hands than a wedge. I doubt I am alone in this, but if I am sitting in the fairway, less than 100 yards out.....I am thinking about making it. Seriously, not just thinking it, visualizing it, borderline expecting it. Obviously, it doesn't happen much, but from that position you gotta be thinking up and down.

If only I could keep the damn ball in play off the tee!!

When i swing full out at my 60, i keep my lowerbody quiet. For instance i dont pivot my back foot, i just raise the heel a little. This seems to produce more consistent results.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

When i swing full out at my 60, i keep my lowerbody quiet. For instance i dont pivot my back foot, i just raise the heel a little. This seems to produce more consistent results.

This is probably the best best advice on this thread yet!

I have a 60* since day one. I first had a Zevo brand with unknown bounce (by my guestimation it was 8*), and no "improvement" grooves, and I was pretty consistant with control, but was not able to make the ball bite, despite spin. I switched to a Vokey 60*-04* Spin Milled, and let me tell you spins like crazy, but I can't control it for nothing...totaly lost confidence on my 60* This weekend I dropped half a bucket on my 60* alone, and let me tell you the difference that that made. I was pitching to 25 into a 6" radius from the hole (about 20 balls), then I switched to 50 yards, and was able to get some consistency....very quite lower body ( This was Key ), this was about anouther 25 balls. Then I switched to max distance (under control) and found it to be 75 - 80 yards. Controlled, with tons of spiin, most landings stayed put within 18" of landing. I the past I have hit my 60* upto 125 with varying results (mostly unfavorable) by taking full swings, and trying to "kill" the ball. What has worked for me is tons of practice, trying to find that "swing". I have learned that for me this wedge wors well further back in my stance. When pitching I have lined up with my right toe, and it has worked very well. But most importantly is keeping your lower body quiet. This is by far the best improvement I have learned for my Wedge. Anything outside of 75 yrds, SW 85 - 100, GW 95-110 (pesky), PW 100-120. I rather take a little off the swing on my wedges, than beat them. The comment on distance above pertains specifically to wedges...they are not only about distance as perhaps you irons, hybrids, or woods...these are about precision (which includes distance)!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

No, no, no its not.

You can't put up a good number without knowing your distances....I don't care who you are

I mean how do you know that you punch gap or your soft SW will be the shot? Because you know the distance they will travel...you migh say feel and that might be true. But what are you feeling? Distance. No way around it The one thing you must have is a full chest turn. It is easy to forget when you get the wedges in your hands....

Bryan A

Hi All,
Well, I've been to the range twice and have hit about 200 balls with my 60 and have found that for me the best use of the wedge is at about 30 and in with a controlled upper body swing. Not proficient yet but it seems to be coming with practice. Spin is good at longer distances of course but the flop stops pretty well. Still working.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

I think it is possible to know yardages on 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 shots for different clubs if you are willing to invest the time in practice. I am planning to do this on the practice hole at my course and note how far I hit my wedges with each of these swings.

- Shane

Hi All,

I wouldn't make it a completely upper body swing.

Bryan A

I wouldn't make it a completely upper body swing.

Yeah, not sure I understand the logic of altering the swing. The only alteration I make is making them shorter, everything else about the swing is the same. Its a bit steeper, but thats a function of the length pf club, not the swing. Also, set-up is bit different, I open up the body quite a bit and keep the hands in front of the ball.

.... Also, set-up is bit different, I open up the body quite a bit and keep the hands in front of the ball.

Aren't the hands supposed to be in fron for iron play??

It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!