IGNORED

Teens Try to Rob Golfers Using Wooden Planks

JerseyThursday
Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here are the basics: a foursome was about to tee off on the fourth hole at the Sundridge Park Golf Course in the UK when they were "confronted by a group of teenagers brandishing planks of wood." (Because he's English, I'm not sure if the writer of the story actually means floor planks like we think of here in the US, which are usually like 8 foot long and 1" by 6" around, or just smaller pieces of lumber.) The teens apparently wanted to rob the golfers of their clubs, unaware that these guys were also armed: WITH GOLF CLUBS!
Instead of allowing themselves to be robbed the golfers fought back and, according to a witness, "Everyone had a weapon and they were just trading blows. The golfers stood their ground, though. I guess because they had their clubs as protection." Duh! So we have this bizarre scene going on at a UK golf course where adults with golf clubs and teens with wooden planks are fencing across the fairways.
But it doesn't end there: at some point the teens retreated, but brought back other family members and launched a counter offensive. Of course then things got nasty and at least two of the teens were struck severely enough to land them in the hospital. Now in the United States (especially Texas) the adults would likely NOT have gone to jail, having "defended themselves" against would-be robbers: but not the UK where at least 8 people involved in this brawl (including several of the golfers) were arrested. All told, three boys aged 13, 15 & 16 were arrested along with a 33-year-old woman, and four men aged 49, 53, 48 and 39. Most were charged with suspicion of causing great bodily harm. The lesson today, boys and girls? Never bring a wooden plank to a golf club brawl.

Commentary courtesy of badjocks.com

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...eal-clubs.html

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

That would have been the oddest sight ever O.o

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Did anyone else read this and think of the scene from Formula 51 when Samuel L. Jackson hits an assailant in the head with a 3-Wood?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Would of been an interesting sight to be waiting at the tee box behind these guys

In The Bag:
Driver: r7 460 (9.5)
Fairway Woods: r7 CGB Max (3,5)
Hybrid:r7 CGB Max
Irons:AP2Wedges:Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52/8, 56/14, 60/4)Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls:Pro V1x 2009

Well at first thought, I was going to use my wedges to defend myself since they are the easiest/cheapest to replace.... but then I was wondering about them being a shorter club.

Maybe I would fight wood with my woods?? I'd get that extra reach and swingspeed....... but it'd be harder to control.........

Guess I'll have to start taking my Power Hitter on the course with me just incase..... show anyone who messes with me where its name comes from..............

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

This may not be true, but I've heard it from two reliable guys that have lived in Nashville most of their lives that there was an outbreak of muggings on a muni course in East Nashville that is located near a somewhat rough area -

the back nine was a good distance from the clubhouse, and there were some train tracks that bordered the course. Kids (teens) would wait on the otherside of the tracks and wait for golfers to approach and they'd jump out and put a few guns in their faces and relieve them of their wallets, watches, jewerly etc - talk about a bummer back nine.

I'd played the course 3 or 4 times, and when I told them I had played it, they told me the history of the place
In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

Well at first thought, I was going to use my wedges to defend myself since they are the easiest/cheapest to replace.... but then I was wondering about them being a shorter club.

I'm thinking 3 iron. Longest club besides a wood, small heavy head to deliver maximum force to the area of contact. Just make sure you maintain your spine angle.

I'm thinking 3 iron. Longest club besides a wood, small heavy head to deliver maximum force to the area of contact. Just make sure you maintain your spine angle.

Good call. Definitely a long iron would be the club of choice when defending yourself against plank welding thugs.

Do you go for the gusto and swing for their head or go with the sure thing and take a solid swing for the mid section?

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Good call. Definitely a long iron would be the club of choice when defending yourself against plank welding thugs.

Good point. But in the end, I think I'll use the 2 hybrid because of the extra versatility.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Did anyone else read this and think of the scene from

I thought about the scene from one of the "Lost" episodes where Sayid, pulls a gun from his bag and shoots a guy.

In my Staff bag:
Bazooka HP-5 Driver 460cc
Bazooka OS HP-5 3/5 Woods
Jmax QL Irons 5-PW (Graphite Stiff Shafts)
X-tour Gap Wedge 52* X-tour Sand Wedge 56* Lob Wedge 60* Rossa Daytona 1 Putter

Even though i am a British youth, this is such a typical thing that common youths would do and all youths in this country are seen in the way that these kids are seen because of the type of stuff they get into
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I'm not screwin' up one of my clubs on thugs like that......9mm, center of mass. They don't call Florida "The Gunshine State" for nuthin'!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This may not be true, but I've heard it from two reliable guys that have lived in Nashville most of their lives that there was an outbreak of muggings on a muni course in East Nashville that is located near a somewhat rough area -

The same thing used to happen at a course in New Haven, CT.

Rob Tyska

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!