IGNORED

Arrogant golfers!!!

ramrockgolfer35
Note: This thread is 5433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This young kid is too much!

I had a "high" paying job when I was 18, but I was smoking a lot of weed and pumping gas...

I play every week with a couple guys that are 18+ handicaps and they are NO slower than my friends who are 5 handicaps. At our place we pick up after we've reached our MAX stroke allowed for the hole which is no more than a 7 in most cases. We call it

(BIPSIC)

BALL IN POCKET, SIT IN CART

The kid is just trying to get a rise out of everyone (and experiencing some success).

Generally speaking, I think most of the people on this forum are pretty decent. They give good advice and encourage new players. You get a few that come off a little arrogant due to their seriousness about the game.

Keep playing, keep having fun. In all walks of life you are going to run into a-holes. I am happy to say that there seems to be a small proportion of them on the golf course.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

I am a recreational golfer and play with my friends on the weekend. I do not participate in any events and we all play by our rules. 1 mulligan on the front and 1 on the back, if you are only a few feet OB use a foot wedge and hit from IB with no penalty. This is how I play and I am happy with it. I just disregard the comments of the people who don't like it.

What you're doing isn't hurting me in any fashion, so I'm fine with it. Honestly, as long as you're not the group in front of me who's holding me up, I couldn't care less what game you played out there.

But, with that said, I don't understand it. To me, golf is such a different game than any other sport. Sure, technically what you're doing is no different than a group of guys getting together at a basketball court and having a rule that you're a low to walk with the ball; who cares right? I just look at golf as being different I guess. I have to pay money (usually too much) to play a round a golf and I want to follow the rules of golf as closely as my knowledge will allow while I'm out there. I really can't see paying $25, $35, or more to play around of golf just to go out and make up my own rules. I could just go hit balls into a field if that's all I want to do. I assume you love the game of golf and are at least semi-serious about it, or else you wouldn't be participating at a golf forum. So, I just can't see why anyone wouldn't follow the rules of golf as they've been written? Do you feel that golf isn't fun until you make up your own rules? Don't get me wrong here, I'm not making an attempt at being confrontational. What you do will not affect me at all, so I really don't care. I really am just curious as to why some people just decide to either follow none or only some of the rules of golf and then make up the rest as they go.

I assume you love the game of golf and are at least semi-serious about it, or else you wouldn't be participating at a golf forum. So, I just can't see why anyone wouldn't follow the rules of golf as they've been written? Do you feel that golf isn't fun until you make up your own rules?

Count me in your corner. I just don't get it when I hear people proclaim it's their right to alter the rules of golf as they and/or their buddies see fit. My personal pet peeve is the so-called "tree-root rule" where the poster declares "it's not worth damaging your club or hurting yourself, so we move the ball stroke-free". Say what?

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Count me in your corner. I just don't get it when I hear people proclaim it's their right to alter the rules of golf as they and/or their buddies see fit. My personal pet peeve is the so-called "tree-root rule" where the poster declares "it's not worth damaging your club or hurting yourself, so we move the ball stroke-free". Say what?

I'm sorry, but how do you not understand that? If a person is trying to break 100 or shooting worse, even trying to break 90, what does one stroke mean? There's no point playing off a root or near a tree if you're gonna damage a club in a round that you'll end up shooting 104 or 110 or 115.

That said, if you're at a point where you're in single digit or low teen handicap, then by all means follow the rules, because at that level of play you're not duffing every other shot and 3 putting every other green.

With my friends we play pretty lean rules, for 1 to speed play up, 2 because their not that good, 3 because most of the time were drunk. I mean we all know the rules but if its going to take longer to "properly" drop a ball and where it should be placed, Id rather just grab one and drop it on the ground.

When money/stakes are involved I play by the rules as well as I know them.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I'm sorry, but how do you not understand that? If a person is trying to break 100 or shooting worse, even trying to break 90, what does one stroke mean? There's no point playing off a root or near a tree if you're gonna damage a club in a round that you'll end up shooting 104 or 110 or 115.

If the one stroke doesn't mean anything, then why not add it to your score in keeping with the integrity of the game? Who wants to break 90 by taking a bunch of illegal drops?

BTW, the rules don't say you have to hit it off the root. You could declare the lie unplayable and drop under a stroke penalty. Understanding and following rules like that will teach the aspiring golfer the immense role that decision-making and course management play in golf and make them a better player in the long run.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Fair enough I see your point Elvis. To me personally, I know I'm not at any type of skill level where my score even matters. I'm just looking to hit good shots and keep my putts down. To each their own.

LOL to ian.mp57. Good job getting everyone fired up.

By the way - you play MP57's? Those are for hacks like me. Surely you are better than that.

My favorite quote = "60 bones a round."

Yeah, $60 is a ton of money. LOL Well I guess is it to an 18 year old.

I said this in another thread somewhere in time, but for those who don't follow the book, I challenge you to play a round, just one round, by the book. I honestly think you will find it enjoyable and that it will not slow you down.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

why do people care what other golfers do (i.e. move a ball to avoid a root). Who cares?
I play my ball down but I really don't care what other golfers do, unless we are playing a match.

This is one of the beauties of the game, everyone can play how they choose. Just because my dad playes winter rules all year long doesn't mean I have to and it doesn't mean I can't play a round with him. I have no issue with anyone being a stickler for the rules, I follow them to be best of my ability also. But being such a stickler that you berate those that don't, come on, lighten up.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

This is one of the beauties of the game, everyone can play how they choose. Just because my dad playes winter rules all year long doesn't mean I have to and it doesn't mean I can't play a round with him. I have no issue with anyone being a stickler for the rules, I follow them to be best of my ability also. But being such a stickler that you berate those that don't, come on, lighten up.

I care not how others play as well, esp since this debate seems to be hotter than pro life/choice, but I challenge them to just try a round by the books because I think they will like it. That's all. I used to roll my ball, take unwarranted relief, etc. and find it liberating to play the game as defined. Since I often play as a single, who would know if I played a mulligan or two. I dunno. Maybe there is just something primal about following USGA/R&A; rules and taking the longest walk if needed. To each their own.

- Shane

My personal pet peeve is the so-called "tree-root rule" where the poster declares "it's not worth damaging your club or hurting yourself, so we move the ball stroke-free". Say what?

My usual group of suspects plays by this rule. Here in CA Pine or Cypress trees often have surface roots extending into the fairway. Over the years and a broken wrist later, they decided that a free drop was granted if you're in the fairway or first cut and on a tree root. If you're in the trees, then you're in the trees.

We play the ball down, putt everything out (lockjaw is a common ailment), and are sticklers on the rules with that one exception- which occurs maybe once in every ten or twelve rounds. We're not playing tournamnet golf and since it was agreed on by everyone, who cares? Our normal money game doesn't justify taking unfair advantage of the rule. And there's eight of us so it's always two foursomes- we trust the other guys. Everyone knows the rules of the game... our only group rule is "do whatever your conscience allows". To the OP, I've noticed far more arrogance with high post counts than low hcps.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

If the one stroke doesn't mean anything, then why not add it to your score in keeping with the integrity of the game? Who wants to break 90 by taking a bunch of illegal drops?

I don't play golf to win. I play to have fun.

If I played to win I would have shot myself by now.

During most rounds, I have far too many wagers out there to be creative with the rules.

I agree with Spackler, try a round or two using the actual rules. It won't kill you, and you might just surprise yourself.

• Administrator
This thread isn't about playing by the rules. C'mon guys, let's stick to the original topic.

I'll just point out that the OP still hasn't cited threads (links) where this arrogance can be found.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!