IGNORED

Irons with lower ball flights...

Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok... Erik is gonna yell at me but this is for a friend not for me... A friend of mine is playing the Taylor Made r7 irons and complains to me that he hits the ball too high... he is about a 10-handicapper... who gets good distance off the tee, but his iron shots balloon... like I'm talking he hits his driver 250-260 and his 9-iron 105-110, but it drops like a rock and stays put... so he was wondering what irons are out there that have lower ball flights... or is it a swing thing maybe...

and I can't really tell him either because i hit the ball straight up in the air myself... and I play blades... any opinions would be appreciated...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok... Erik is gonna yell at me but this is for a friend not for me... A friend of mine is playing the Taylor Made r7 irons and complains to me that he hits the ball too high... he is about a 10-handicapper... who gets good distance off the tee, but his iron shots balloon... like I'm talking he hits his driver 250-260 and his 9-iron 105-110, but it drops like a rock and stays put... so he was wondering what irons are out there that have lower ball flights... or is it a swing thing maybe...

I would think getting him the right shafts for those r7s would help. But also something like a cobra pro CB, or an uber stiff shaft like rifle 7.0 I hit those about the same distance as my stock stiffs on my irons just those were about half the height.

I wanna say its mostly the shaft that determines the trajectory, but the Nickent 3DX Pros have a low ball flight with their stock shafts (Nippon 1080 stiff)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Question. You hit the ball high but added loft to your irons? I would have your friend see a pro. He has to be playing the ball in the wrong position and not taking a divot. As far as irons maybe the TM LT irons.

Brian

Ball position, incorrect loft angles or shaft bend points affect ball flight. I'd have you both check those three IMHO ...
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

• Administrator

Am I the Erik that's gonna yell at you? Why would I? Did I miss something?

Your friend should check out his shafts. If he is taking divots and de-lofting the clubs, that's about all I can think of outside of him aiming left and opening the club up way too much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have just spent the last year trying to lower my ball flight. I have a shop full of high bend point shafts. They didn't solve the problem. It's his impact position that has the biggest impact on trajectory. Tempo too. Find the right flex in a high bend point shaft then read this link:

What lies before you is the "secret" to becoming a ballstriking machine with a nice boring trajectory, seriously.

http://www.playperfectgolf.co.uk/Mas...wing%20arc.htm

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

Some irons hit it higher than others, especially depending on the shaft, but it is still possible to hit the ball very high even if you have the stiffest, heaviest, highest kickpoint shafts and blades with high center of gravity. Most better players deloft the club because the hands lead at impact, producing the descending blow you want with an iron.

Have a pro check out his swing. My guess is he's probably sweeping it, which can work well for woods and long irons, but will make short irons go very high and short, like you describe.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

well because I'm a +3.5 and I should know the answer... it seems like he makes good contact... he maybe playing the ball too far forward? or is it he needs stiffer shafts?

and I'm upright so that's why I hit the ball high... but then again I'm 6-foot-5...

Go Pens!!!

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

My guess is he's probably sweeping it, which can work well for woods and long irons, but will make short irons go very high and short, like you describe.

Yep. This what I do. I hit everything really high because my hands get just a touch behind the clubhead, and I 'sweep' all my clubs, therefore everything goes really high and I'm certainly losing some distance.

Just have him take more of a divot instead of sweeping it - it will compress theh ball more and get his hands leading the clubhead which he's probably not doing.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!