IGNORED

Official Thread: 2009 U.S. Open (Bethpage)

Gioguy21
Note: This thread is 5471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Barnes just made one of the ugliest swings I've ever seen on the second hole, and the results were even uglier. He's not winning this tournament.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His swing is looking more like a bowel movement. He was too far ahead of that those first two tee shots. He had to flip his hands to catch up. not a good way to play golf under pressure. We will see plenty of blocked tee shots and quick hooks from Barnes tommorow.
Driver: Adams insight A4 Prototype
loft 9.0 face 2 degrees open
Matrix Ozik X high kick point
3 wood Tour Edge Exotic CB2
loft 15 Mitsubishi Fubiki XHybrid Cleveland launcer 3I Aldila NV XIrons ...

Barnes just made one of the ugliest swings I've ever seen on the second hole, and the results were even uglier. He's not winning this tournament.

It looked like one of my good swings.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Ay yay yay...

Painful. I hope he gets his head together tonight.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

• Administrator
BTW, we'll be doing a live blog tomorrow morning at 9am EST. On the main page of the site.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Johnny Miller's repeated mention of Duval's 882 ranking - okay, I get the picture. It's one thing if Duval was someone we never heard of and had no history, but he does have a history, a 59, and a major, so it shouldn't be that surprising.

Duval reminds me of Mats Wilander, who was a quiet sort, won the Australian, French, US Open and then disappeared into oblivion.

I normally like the opening video "essay" of the past US Opens, for example the 99 US Open that Payne Stewart won. More dramatic. This years' was very bland.

Loved seeing the full flight of the tee shots on #1, similar to Wood's 3 iron on the 18th @ Doral, was it? If you've played the hole, you really get a gauge on how far the pros hit it, because where the pros are teeing from is about the same as where you'd tee off from.

The behind the ball cam was a cool angle. It's amazing how much the clubhead sometimes twists after ball impact.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the second consecutive year, Rocco Mediate has gone off in the penultimate group for the final round of the US Open. Only for the 2009 edition, he's in the second-to-last group going off the back nine -- which means that he's in 3rd or 4th place if you turn the leaderboard upside down.

In all seriousness, we may see a funny situation tomorrow. Since the USGA sent players off 1 and 10 at the same times, the wave going off 1 could finish first and leave us with a few stragglers to finish off the championship. This scenario is unlikely, of course, because the front-nine wave has a lot more at stake (and thus will likely play slower) than the back-nine wave. But don't be surprised if Andres Romero and Jeff Brehaut conclude this year's US Open on the 9th green, waging a wild battle for a share of 58th.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

We've had those situations all week. The USGA filled the final pairings of the first wave with local qualifiers, presumably so ESPN could obsess over Tiger Woods' second round Friday night without worrying about showing the last hour or so of play. Thanks to the delays, though, those players took center stage on Saturday afternoon, leading to a long discussion among the NBC commentators about how one of the local qualifiers looked like David Eger (a former USGA and PGA senior administrator, U.S. Mid-Amateur champion, and current Champions Tour player with whom the crew was obviously familiar, but whose references only 37 people watching at home understood).

The worst thing for all parties involved is Rory McIlroy going on a tear. He was the first player to tee off on the tenth hole, and he's 2-under through 10 holes, 2-over for the tournament. He still has most of the front nine to play, and the outward half of Bethpage Black is clearly the easier half. Shooting 30 or 31 is not out of the question, and Rory is someone who can do it. What if he posts -2 or -3 as the first player back in the clubhouse?

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

why again do you hate rory so much ?

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

Keep your fingers crossed. My daughter in the city, and friends at Brookhaven think it could be rain free until late in the afternoon. The Weather Channel has possible rain at 3 pm.

So, with greens finally into the 13s, who knows what might happen. This could get exciting.

RC

why again do you hate rory so much ?

I'm not disparaging Rory one bit; I wouldn't even take the scenario into consideration if I didn't think he could do it. I'm saying the USGA wouldn't be too pleased with a potential winner finishing on 9 while the final pairing still has 10 through 18 to play.

I'm saying the USGA wouldn't be too pleased with a potential winner finishing on 9 while the final pairing still has 10 through 18 to play.

I gotta believe they know that there is always that risk when you start 1/2 the field on the front and 1/2 the field on the back.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

ive gotta say ricky barnes has one of the ugliest swings ive ever seen!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

If you want to know what lazy hips will do to you... watch Barnes. He is trying to guide the ball with his upper body, swaying forward with no turning brace under him to keep the club going toward the target. Hitting it hard is not helped with all that upper body movement. It only gets worse unless the player figures it out and firms up.

RC

I'm liking two-thirds of my pick last night of a tie between Mahan, Mickelson, and Watson at the end of this round.

Note: This thread is 5471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!