IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

-The guy who ignores golf etiquette...I have a friend who, while putting, putts first and finishes until he holes it regardless of if he was furthest from the hole to start or not...all of us have to wait until he finishes.

I don't allow that. I have said to total strangers, 'excuse me, I'm away'.

How about the guy who always hits and then goes up to his ball before you hit so that he is pretty much in your field of view the entire round?

And since I have joined our local CC, I am really getting pissed at people that don't replace their divots on MY course.

dak4n6

The guy who gets far to full of himself is one that makes me want to start fighting them. One of my friends is like this when we hit the range, and it completely screws my game up because it makes me so annoyed.

Also the person who simply doesn't follow golf etiquette to any extent. It won't ruin my day, but I feel that it should be common knowledge if you are going to play at a course (of course there are extremely rare occasions that you can't get THAT mad)

As for people who take to many swings, plays extremely slow or fast, they don't really bother me. In my eyes, do what you gotta do to play your game. Of course there is a limit. Don't do 15 practice swings, or make a single hole take an hour.

Originally Posted by JJLinn

-The guy who gives you "lessons" without you asking for them...so annoying as I already have enough in my head about my swing.

This, by a mile.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also get slightly annoyed at the guy who has hit his drive into my fairway...and then stands there 10 feet from his ball while I hit my drive.  That, or he will go through his whole practice routine while making me wait it out so he "can get going".

If you know your ball is on another hole...as you're driving up..check the tee box. If you see someone about to play..then just wait on your hole until they've hit and then drive over!

Another pet peeve I was reminded of during my last roung...ball hawks.  Not the ones in your group that look for balls in the weeds while they are moving through a hole..but the people who pick up any ball they see laying on the course without any regard that it might be someones ball in play!  My group hit our tee shots on the 9th hole which runs parallel to the 1st.  There was a strong wind and my friend lost his usual fade to a biggg slice.  The guy playing one SEES us tee off...not to mention the ball ended up landing about 20 yards from HIS tee box yet he still picked the ball up on his way down the 1st hole.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

Another pet peeve I was reminded of during my last roung...ball hawks.  Not the ones in your group that look for balls in the weeds while they are moving through a hole..but the people who pick up any ball they see laying on the course without any regard that it might be someones ball in play!  My group hit our tee shots on the 9th hole which runs parallel to the 1st.  There was a strong wind and my friend lost his usual fade to a biggg slice.  The guy playing one SEES us tee off...not to mention the ball ended up landing about 20 yards from HIS tee box yet he still picked the ball up on his way down the 1st hole.

I HATE THIS!!!!!!  I can't tell you how many times I have hit my ball into the rough at the top of a hill between two holes and my ball is gone because some jerk picks it up.  I've actually hit the ball and watched from the tee some guy just bend over in his cart and snag it.  And when I go to tell him that is my ball, he has the audacity to say "are you sure?"  God that pisses me off!!!

Guy who plays "Never-Ready Golf".  I have a good friend who plays like this, he's always last to tee off on any box, and yet he's never ready to hit when it's his turn.  And on the green, he has no idea that he's away, constantly waiting for somebody to tell him it's his turn to play.  I think he does it out of deference, like he's afraid to violate the rules and play out of turn, but after a time I feel like a nagging old lady constantly telling him it's his turn to play while I stand over my putt or approach.

And how about "Par 5 in two Guy", who "belts" his tee shot 200 down the middle, and then wants to wait while the group in front of him clears the green from 280?

Ball-Hawks are a frequent nemesis, of course, as is "Guy Who Can't Put the Flagstick In Correctly".  I mean, is it really that hard to make sure the flag stick is all the way in before you walk off the hole?

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Oh, and I forgot one more:  "What club did you hit" guy.  This guy is competing with you, and just wants to know how far you can hit your 7-iron (for example), or even better, waits to tee off on the tricky par 3 (even if it's his tee) so he can get an advantage of knowing your club selection.

Originally Posted by carrx

Guy who plays "Never-Ready Golf".  I have a good friend who plays like this, he's always last to tee off on any box, and yet he's never ready to hit when it's his turn.  And on the green, he has no idea that he's away, constantly waiting for somebody to tell him it's his turn to play.  I think he does it out of deference, like he's afraid to violate the rules and play out of turn, but after a time I feel like a nagging old lady constantly telling him it's his turn to play while I stand over my putt or approach.

And how about "Par 5 in two Guy", who "belts" his tee shot 200 down the middle, and then wants to wait while the group in front of him clears the green from 280?

Ball-Hawks are a frequent nemesis, of course, as is "Guy Who Can't Put the Flagstick In Correctly".  I mean, is it really that hard to make sure the flag stick is all the way in before you walk off the hole?

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Mine is people that can't phone ahead for food when in my group.

On my course, which is always busy there is a board with a phone number on the 7th hole so by the turn your food is ready for pick up.

I still have a friend that insists he doesn't know what he wants until hole 9 so we wait around for 10 mins while they prepare it and there are groups waiting to play through

Bugs the sh1t out of me

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Originally Posted by trickymicky69

Mine is people that can't phone ahead for food when in my group.

On my course, which is always busy there is a board with a phone number on the 7th hole so by the turn your food is ready for pick up.

I still have a friend that insists he doesn't know what he wants until hole 9 so we wait around for 10 mins while they prepare it and there are groups waiting to play through

Bugs the sh1t out of me

LOL! Yes, this is a definite. Does the menu change quite frequently? I play with someone who acts like they have a new menu every week!

Originally Posted by JJLinn

-The guy who ignores golf etiquette...I have a friend who, while putting, putts first and finishes until he holes it regardless of if he was furthest from the hole to start or not...all of us have to wait until he finishes.

That's just wrong. Why not say anything to him? Something to the tune of "Hey shithead, you're supposed to wait". That said, we do have a "putt when you're ready" rule with our group. For instance, if you're on the green already and the guy who is farthest just chipped on, just putt instead of making him rush to get his putter and line up. Same with tee'ing off. If you're ready and the guy who should technically be up next is still in the cart or whatever, tee up and go. It speeds things a long and no one seems to mind.

My biggest pet peeve is when playing with someone who's obviously not having fun on the course (usually the over analytical hyper-competitive weekend golfer who can't understand why he's hit bad shot after bad shot) and their joykill attitude makes it that much harder for you to enjoy your time on the course.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

'Not sure if it was mentioned it, but I cannot stand the guy that waits for the green to clear on the second shot of every damn par 5 and tees of short part 4.  I have no problem with this if the person is actually good, but more likely than not, their justification for waiting is that they think they can hit a 300 yd drive or got 275 with their 3 wood or maybe hit one that far once on at a drving range, but not once in an actual round do they put it near the green.  Best case scenario is they waste time for what was a decent layup, but more often than not they shank it b/c they waited too long to hit the ball and then  are still away....makes me want to scream "for the love of god just take a hybrid and leave yourself a wedge!!!!!!"

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

Originally Posted by msbeebe

LOL! Yes, this is a definite. Does the menu change quite frequently? I play with someone who acts like they have a new menu every week!

you are right on the money there!

menu hasn't changed in three years

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

I play with the same group every week, we are all close friends. 3 of us tell the truth, then we have the "golf liar", none of us are very good, all shoot mid 90's on a good day, but the golf liar hacks his way up the wrong fairway, 3 putts and declares a bogey. we all watched you slice your tee shot, chip out of the trees, duff two approach shots and 3 putt...........

Originally Posted by carrx

Oh, and I forgot one more:  "What club did you hit" guy.  This guy is competing with you, and just wants to know how far you can hit your 7-iron (for example), or even better, waits to tee off on the tricky par 3 (even if it's his tee) so he can get an advantage of knowing your club selection.

+1 Whenever we are on the tee box for a par 3, I always get asked "what club you using?" Then, if I hit it short, or long, my friend changes his club. We've always hit differently, why would he pick the same club? Not to mention I don't always hit my irons as flush as can be. Makes no sense to me.

Also, when nobody pulls the pin out, so I have to go do it. It happened this Sunday. We were playing and I had around a 20 footer for birdie. My friend had just chipped on with his third shot to about 10 feet...and he didn't pull the pin. And you can take a guess as to who puts the pin back in every hole...

Originally Posted by pidge rgj

I play with the same group every week, we are all close friends. 3 of us tell the truth, then we have the "golf liar", none of us are very good, all shoot mid 90's on a good day, but the golf liar hacks his way up the wrong fairway, 3 putts and declares a bogey. we all watched you slice your tee shot, chip out of the trees, duff two approach shots and 3 putt...........

We have one of those too! I love asking him what he got. He'll act like he's counting and then say "bogey?" Then we'll say "no way you got a bogey." Then he replies "oh wait, 7..." haha.

I feel you guys on all of these pet peeves. Its just kind of sucks when its your significant other. My wife who I love to death can sometimes take me out of my game because she sets up to the ball, backs away, take 3 practice swings,  line up again, adjusts herself, and then top the ball.  Every shot. I mean, when she connects, look out. 210 down the middle. But when she is off, it is too slow. I've been thinking of a way to help her come up with a better preshot routine that will speed up her play.

When it comes to hitting par 5's in two. One of my pet peeves is when I go for my second shot on a par 5 and my buddy stops me from hitting because someone is on the green and they think I can hit my 3 wood 280. Doing it once in a while is one thing, but I dont remember the last time I consistently hit my 3 wood anywhere over 260. That sometimes throws me off when Im ready to hit. I usually endup  screwing up the shot.

Note: This thread is 2517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!