IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

D: 230-250

2H: 210-220

4H:185-195

5i: 170-180

6i: 160-170

7i: 150-160

8i: 140-150

9i: 125-135

PW: 110-120

AW: 95-110

56*: 75-100

60*: < 65

I don't enter distances with a disclaimer. If I put down X yards for my 7-iron, that's what yardage I'd typically pull a 7-iron. Obviously variables like flyer lies, slope, being cold on the first hole, being amped up on the par-5 18th, which set of irons I'm playing, which ball I'm using, etc all factor in, but what you see is what you get much more often that not. I also don't have an extra 40 yards in the tank with my long irons. I swing them pretty hard because I seem to be more consistent that way . . . until the old tennis elbow acts up.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Driver : OB

3 Wood: At least to the women's tee box

5 wood: Grass burner

3 iron: Fat

4 iron: Thin

5 iron: In the drink

6 iron: Backwards

7 iron: Into the bunker

8 iron: Into the water hazard

9 iron: Chunked

SW: Shanked

LW: Swing and a miss

Putter: 15 feet past the hole

But in all seriousness

Driver: 240-260

3 iron : 200-215

4 iron: 195-205

5 iron: 190-200

6 iron: 185-195

7 iron: 175-185

8 iron: 155-170

9 iron: 145-155

PW: 130-145

GW : 110-120

SW 95-105

LW:75-90

Putter: Short of the hole

Originally Posted by trackster

Driver: 240-260

3 iron : 200-215

4 iron: 195-205

5 iron: 190-200

6 iron: 185-195

7 iron: 175-185

8 iron: 155-170

9 iron: 145-155

PW: 130-145

GW : 110-120

SW 95-105

LW:75-90

Putter: Short of the hole

Those numbers are a little funky.

Either you are swinging too hard with your irons, or doing something wrong with your driver.  If your driver is only 240-260, then you shouldn't be hitting a 6 iron 195 or a 7 iron 185 or 9 iron 155.  You're getting above average distance for a pga tour pro on your irons, but are hitting your drive on the low end of a lpga tour pro.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Either you are swinging too hard with your irons, or doing something wrong with your driver.  If your driver is only 240-260, then you shouldn't be hitting a 6 iron 195 or a 7 iron 185 or 9 iron 155.  You're getting above average distance for a pga tour pro on your irons, but are hitting your drive on the low end of a lpga tour pro.

I disagree. Swinging a driver and an iron are totally different swings. I've been told people with more upright swings have trouble getting distance out of woods, and vice-versa for those with a flat swing.

Of course this is all speculation as to his swing.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

I don't care how different your swing is with drivers and irons, you shouldn't have only a 45 yd gap between the low end of your driver and the high end of your 6 iron.  He is mashing the 6 iron like Rory McIlroy on a good day, but hitting his driver similar to Nancy Lopez in the twilight of her career.

If that's true, why even carry a 3 and 4 iron?  Just get a club you can hit 220 and then load up on wedges for the extra clubs.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I don't care how different your swing is with drivers and irons, you shouldn't have only a 45 yd gap between the low end of your driver and the high end of your 6 iron.  He is mashing the 6 iron like Rory McIlroy on a good day, but hitting his driver similar to Nancy Lopez in the twilight of her career.

If that's true, why even carry a 3 and 4 iron?  Just get a club you can hit 220 and then load up on wedges for the extra clubs.

Could have a really steep AoA and put way too much backspin on the driver.  That would allow for good iron distance and comparatively shorter driver distance.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I don't think that they are funky at all.  I have the potential to hit my driver 280-290 yards.  But unlike most people on here I don't use one swing to create an average.  I have a video of an iron swing and a driver swing on the my swing form, you can check them out if you want.  And honestly a 195 yard 6 iron is not above average for a tour pro.

I don't carry a 3 wood.  Never have really needed it.  I played a course the other day and had a 460 yard hole that i played driver 6 iron to the green, and then in the opposite direction there was a 455 yard hole that I played driver 6 iron to the green.  At my home course the par 5 on the front says 520, but that is laughable i google earthed it to be around 470 and this morning I played driver, 5 iron to the green.

Originally Posted by ddalet

not only that, he hits his 5-6 iron practically the same.

Not really, It is harder to gage the distance of my higher irons since i don't use them as often.  We have a 205 par 3 , google earthed to be about 190 that depending on the wind I will play a 7, 6, or 5 iron.

Originally Posted by ddalet

not only that, he hits his 5-6 iron practically the same.

I'd be dropping the 4 and 6 or looking at a hybrid or something.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Man there are some seriously long hitters on this forum!  Definitely not posting my distances.

Become a better putter with Putt for Dough putting drills and tips.

Originally Posted by pweenie

Man there are some seriously long hitters on this forum!  Definitely not posting my distances.

Most people seem to think that internet adds 10 to 15 yards but I don't think that is true.  What I think is true is that people actually think that they hit their clubs that far.  One thing I have noticed (using google earth) is that tee box to yardage markers are not very accurate for measuring.  But yardage markers to middle of green are pretty accurate for measuring.  It doesn't matter how far you hit if you are accurate.  I got paired with a gentleman that would hit a hybrid from about 150 out, land the ball 20 yards short of the green and it would roll on.  What ever works.

Driver: 270

3 wood: 240

5 wood: 210

5 iron: 180

6 iron: 170

7 iron: 160

8 iron: 150

9 iron: 140

PW: 130

GW : 120

SW 110

LW: 100

All the ranges are approx, sicne I never hit it the exact same distance each time, these would be more of an average. I need another club in there between the 5 wood and 5 iron. Can't decide between a 4 hybrid, or maybe a 7 wood. I might get one of each made and give them each a try. I know 7 woods are a bit unorthadox for someone my age, but I really don't care, if it works, it works. I never really used the long irons that much before, so I dropped the 3 & 4 irons a few years ago and loaded up on wedges. I did carry a 4H for a while, but not long enough to get used to it.

Quote:
Most people seem to think that internet adds 10 to 15 yards but I don't think that is true.  What I think is true is that people actually think that they hit their clubs that far.  One thing I have noticed (using google earth) is that tee box to yardage markers are not very accurate for measuring.  But yardage markers to middle of green are pretty accurate for measuring.  It doesn't matter how far you hit if you are accurate.  I got paired with a gentleman that would hit a hybrid from about 150 out, land the ball 20 yards short of the green and it would roll on.  What ever works.

True that people want to be seen to hit the ball far!  The score card only reflects the score and not the distance you hit a club!

The most common amateur mistake just happens to be coming up short - is that maybe because they think they can reach with a specific iron only to find out they can't?

Anyway I'm still not posting my distances up here!

Become a better putter with Putt for Dough putting drills and tips.

As long as I'm on the fairway/green when I take my next shot, I don't care how far I hit it. But as a young buck at the age of 24, I hit it pretty well in my opinion.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

These are honest figures, and in Scotland where it's a bit colder Driver - 240/250 (270 in the one warm day we get in a whole year) 3wood - 225 off tee 5wood - 215 off tee 3hybrid - 200 4 iron - binned it 5 iron - 175 if I actually connect 6 iron - 170 sometimes 7 iron - 160/165 8 iron - 153 9 iron - 140 Pw - 125 Aw - 105 Sw - 93 Lw - 60 yards (60 degree)

In the bag:

R11s Driver

R9 3 Wood

R9 5 Wood

TM 2009 Hybrid

MP59 5 - PW

Vokey SM 4 50

Vokey Sm 4 60

Vokey SM 4 54

Ping D66 Putter

been working on dialing in distances with my laser & keeping a log book, so here's my latest revision:

58: 70

53: 90

48: 100

pw: 110

9: 125

8: 135

7:145

6: 150

5: 160

4: 170

7W: 185

3W: 195

D:235

These are target yardages- working on feel if I need to ramp it up, or back it down.    I'm working on downward ball strike with 8i & up and if I really compress it, I'm at least 20 yards longer - toughest part of the game for me - when I really hit a wedge pure with a divot, I'm way long & get penalized - very demoralizing.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys thing Humidity has a huge effect on distance? Since Ive moved to Corpus Christi Tx where its always hot and humid ive noticed alittle less distance.

Equipment

Driver - 09' Taylormade Burner

3 wood - Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 13 degrees

18 degree Adams Idea

3-PW Callaway X-18's

Putter - Orlimar Tourizmo #2

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!