IGNORED

Why do so many people play a 60* wedge??

Note: This thread is 5329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I don't know why so many people have 'em. I use mine about once every three or four rounds. Specialty shots only.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 60* and I like it. It's more useful than you think. I wish I would have gotten 52*, 58*, and 64* instead of 48* 56* 60, but a 60* is still very useful.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I use my 60 degree maybe once a round. Like people said when you don't have much green to roll it on or if I need a shot that goes about 60 or 30 yards.

As for walking vs. cart, I get carts for free as part of my job, but I believe walking would help me concentrate more on my game plan and less socializing.

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

I don't use mine much, but with the way my lofts on all my clubs work out I have an extra spot so wtf.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

POOR COLLEGE KID

I bought a used ACUITY (dicks sports) for $12 OFF EBAY.
Grooves are still there.
It does the JOB.

Im not cheap, I can easily afford to buy nice clubs, but would rather spend the money on playing.

POOR COLLEGE KID

Hey. Don't go hating on college kids.

I think my LW is 60*, but for the most part my sand wedge does the trick so I rarely use the lob wedge.
Driver: Cobra Speed Pro S X/10.5*
3W: TaylorMade Rescue
Irons: Adams Ovation 3 (4-LW)
Putter: Ping Zing 2i
Ball: Noodle + Long & SoftGlove: FootJoy SofJoyShoes: FootJoy GreenJoyShort term goals:Break 92 for 18 holesShoot 5 pars or better in one round.

I carried one for a month or two and didnt use it very often. But I also wasnt the best at hitting a 60* wedge so I tryed out a Vokey 58* and liked it and hit it much better. I carry that now instead.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

I use mine usually anywhere from 30-50 yds out or right around the green.Since I usually land my approach shot around the green not on it
I use it alot

Hit'em Long and Strong
Big Tazz

-does the 60* help you around the green, where a 56* wouldn't do?

i use my 60* for quick stops on greens,ive always had the same bag setup so i didn't have to take a club out.i use a full 60* if i want a lot of spin going into a tucked pin other than that i will use a 3/4 sw for that distance

I don't know why so many people have 'em. I use mine about once every three or four rounds. Specialty shots only.

Just curious why do you carry a 60*? Judging by your signature you have a 60 and a 54, it seems odd that you do most of your chipping/pitching/bunker play with a 54 why not go down to a loft you would be comfortable using more often like a 57-58 instead of the 60. I assume you don't hit the 60* great most of the time or you would use it more.

I am not telling you what to do, I just want your reasoning behind this.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

• Administrator
Just curious why do you carry a 60*? Judging by your signature you have a 60 and a 54, it seems odd that you do most of your chipping/pitching/bunker play with a 54 why not go down to a loft you would be comfortable using more often like a 57-58 instead of the 60. I assume you don't hit the 60* great most of the time or you would use it more.

I'm a 1.7 - I can handle the 60. It has nothing to do with comfort or "not hitting it great." I just rarely need the loft. I'd use a 57 even less than a 60 - why would I want a 3° gap? When I need the loft the 60 gives me, I use it. But I rarely need the loft. You have to short-side yourself pretty darn bad to need a 60 degree wedge.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm a 1.7 - I can handle the 60. It has nothing to do with comfort or "not hitting it great." I just rarely need the loft. I'd use a 57 even less than a 60 - why would I want a 3° gap? When I need the loft the 60 gives me, I use it. But I rarely need the loft. You have to short-side yourself pretty darn bad to need a 60 degree wedge.

I agree, I'm pretty sure he has no problem hitting a 60 degree - judging by the wink I'm sure that was a joke, because even I can hit a 60 just fine at a 10 handicap.

I dropped the 60 degree out of my bag because like Iacas said, I don't really need the loft. If I short side myself and need the flop, I open the face on my 56*. I've never really found the need for my 60* to be honest.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I know your a 1.7 that is why I wanted your reasoning. I didn't want to offend/annoy you.

You are one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum, I just wanted to know why you carry a club that you hit every 3 or 4 rounds.

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

• Administrator
I didn't want to offend/annoy you.

You didn't. I just wanted to give a brief answer, because of the opinions you should consider when deciding what to do with your own game, my opinion should be way, way down on the list.

I just wanted to know why you carry a club that you hit every 3 or 4 rounds.

If you're asking why I don't replace it with another club, my set really has no gaps at the long or short end, so there's really no club I could replace it with and use more frequently. When I need the 60, I really need it. I just don't need it very often. :)

I could never get used to a 60*. Two of my golfing partners have 60*'s, and neither of them hit it great.

Also just a question. I'm wondering why some people prefer to have a spin-milled 60* rather than a spin-milled 54* (or any other sand/gap wedge). Because wouldn't you generally get more spin on a lob wedge than a sand/gap wedge? I was just pondering that.

If you're asking why I don't replace it with another club, my set really has no gaps at the long or short end, so there's really no club I could replace it with and use more frequently. When I need the 60, I really need it. I just don't need it very often. :)

Thanks for the clarification. It is a good thing you don't need your 60* too often, when you really need a 60* you are in trouble.

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Thanks for the clarification. It is a good thing you don't need your 60* too often, when you really need a 60* you are in trouble.

Hmmm. That may explain a lot about my game, right there. I use it a lot, but I like it a lot. Maybe I shouldn't, but it's a fun club. Early on in the golf chapter of my life, I was a newb practicing putting on the green, when a local chap came by and practiced his little lobs from below the green on to the green. I thought it looked very appealing and fun. The guy's style and finesse inspired me, and that's now a part of the game that I relish. I do this for fun. But when my long game or approach shots fail me on the course, my 60 has bailed me out plenty of times. I spend a lot of time with the 60, 56 and PW in my backyard, a box of almostgolf balls and a little worldofgolf net, It also gets a workout with all kinds of shots at the range. So I feel very comfortable with the 60. That helps when I'm in some greenside rough, but I also love 20-40 yard high arcing lobs onto the green from the fairway, they are immensely gratifying (except when bladed, of course, and therein lies the rub). Duplicating the short game on the course seems to require as much mental equanimity and presence of mind as it does technique. And that seems a lot harder to practice -- I've got a long way to go to figure out that part of the mental/physical approach.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

I could never get used to a 60*. Two of my golfing partners have 60*'s, and neither of them hit it great.

Spin milled is a manufacturing process, it has nothing to do with putting spin on the ball.

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Note: This thread is 5329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!