IGNORED

2009 U.S. Women's Open

CG031
Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
According to the USGA, based on the course setup, the Course Rating for the US Women's Open this week is 79.8 the Slope Rating is 145.

Yes, and women get different course and slope ratings. You can't compare course and slope ratings to men, and my hunch is that they've given you the women's course rating and slope.

The average female scratch golfer only hits her driver 210 yards (it's 250 for men). So, having attended several LPGA and PGA Tour events, I'll continue to make my own conclusions about their play relative to each other (specifically, not LPGA vs. regular male golfers).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are 70 players exempt under the current format which I'm sure is a number the USGA is comfortable with. The USGA has announced that they are scrapping local qualifying starting next year for the Women's Open. They will have just 36 hole sectional qualifying but it will be spread out over a 3 week period to give players more options on when and where they can attempt to qualify.

No one was questioning the number of exemptions, just the manner in which they were doled out; i.e., that will be changed too.

As for the qualifying, I have been saying that for awhile here and on the TGC forums, that there was a qualifying site discrepancy because all the women touring pros were essentially forced to compete against each other since there was a scheduling conflict in that the LPGA CHampionship was concluded the night before open qualifying on June 16th.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Yes, and women get different course and slope ratings. You can't compare course and slope ratings to men, and my hunch is that they've given you the women's course rating and slope.

Of course it's a women's course rating and my post had nothing to do with comparing LPGA and PGA pro's.

Rob Tyska

• Administrator
As for the qualifying, I have been saying that for awhile here and on the TGC forums, that there was a qualifying site discrepancy because all the women touring pros were essentially forced to compete against each other since there was a scheduling conflict in that the LPGA CHampionship was concluded the night before open qualifying on June 16th.

Isn't that quite a bit like the PGA Tour's qualifier in Columbus, OH the day after The Memorial?

Seems fair to me. They take more players from that qualifier than they do from the others (like they do with the men), do they not?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Isn't that quite a bit like the PGA Tour's qualifier in Columbus, OH the day after The Memorial?

Somewhat, but the LPGA Championship is more draining in that it's a major, which also means no pro is going to skip it to go to an easier qualifying site like they might do for the Memorial.

And, for the women, the scoring discrepancies between that site and all others was just incredible. The scores of Wie and Gulbis would have qualified them at every other site. 24 qualifiers shot higher scores than both (that number goes up if you just use Wie's score) and about 10 qualifiers shot scores of a dozen or more strokes higher than either of them. I think the USAGA realized the problem and that's why the qualifying will now take place at the various sites over 3 weeks instead of one day.

My Tools of Ignorance:

• Administrator
And, for the women, the scoring discrepancies between that site and all others was just incredible. The scores of Wie and Gulbis would have qualified them at every other site. 24 qualifiers shot higher scores than both (that number goes up if you just use Wie's score) and about 10 qualifiers shot scores of a dozen or more strokes higher than either of them.

Well that's irrelevant. They weren't competing against people playing other courses.

Having qualifying after a major is a valid point. The rest, quite frankly, eh.

Having qualifying after a major is a valid point. The rest, quite frankly, eh.

Yes, and both Wie and Gulbis, by virtue of being around the top 20 the last day and the effects of rain delays, were both on the course until after 7:00PM the night before qualifying. Many of the other pros that went to the same qualifying site either missed the cut or finished much earlier in the day, thus giving them more time to unwind, rest or prepare themselves mentally.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Alexis Thompson. 71 today. 3 shots back. 14 years old.

Yea 14 and competing in her third US Open!!!!

Don't forget to root for your neighbor from Shrewsbury, MA too, Brittany Altomare .

Mike

• Administrator
Just watched a gal chip from the green with the flagstick still in. Ooops! None of the announcers caught it, but when they came back from break, they brought in a USGA official to talk about it.

She didn't hit the flagstick, though, so it didn't matter in the end.

That happened in the 2002 US Mid Amateur championship match that was played at Stanwich. George Zahringer, the eventual winner and one of the top amateurs in the country, didn't have his caddie hold the flag when he chipped from the front of a green to a tucked back left pin. He too fortunately didn't hit the flagstick.

Rob Tyska

• Administrator
wooo, go Paula!! only 1 back.

Oh wow, she birdied 18. Coverage cut out when she was on the 15th, I think.

I've heard that Kerr is a bit of a jerk to people, but she autographed a badge at the Jamie Farr for me after she was about done (I saw her late and was late to get up to the line along the ropes), so eh. But I watched Paula win that event last year, too, and it'll be great for her to get that monkey off her back. Definitely pulling for Paula.

How far do women hit the ball? Anyone got stats on the entire club for someone?

I came to think of it when I saw two of them tee off with what looked like woods on a 180 yard par 3 hole.

Paula having big trouble with the easy par 4 10th. Took her 5 shots to get the ball on the green. One bunker shot that flew the green, then a short pitch followed by a short chip.

Saw some clips from the day, one throwing the ball in a fit after a missed putt, another one throwing the putter over half the green to hit the bag after a missed putt.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Just watched a gal chip from the green with the flagstick still in. Ooops! None of the announcers caught it, but when they came back from break, they brought in a USGA official to talk about it.

I knew you had to take the flagstick out to putt and not get a penalty if you hit it. So what happens if you chip or pitch from the fairway or rough and hole it but do hit the flagstick? Is it still a penalty or what? I'm not very good with these rules yet and plan on getting a small rulebook soon. Thanks

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

• Administrator
How far do women hit the ball? Anyone got stats on the entire club for someone?

You can look up their driving distance online. Suffice to say it's not very long - they're not even coming close to flying it onto the 253 yard hole. The long hitters are about 275 yards, the average is 245 or so.

Paula having big trouble with the easy par 4 10th. Took her 5 shots to get the ball on the green. One bunker shot that flew the green, then a short pitch followed by a short chip.

Yeah, and you forgot one of the pitches. Bunker, chip, pitch, pitch.

Ouch. I was rooting for Paula, and there's still time left, but I think she's about done. She'd need a GREAT final round at this point. You never know though - maybe if she's far enough back she'll have the fire to do it.
Saw some clips from the day, one throwing the ball in a fit after a missed putt, another one throwing the putter over half the green to hit the bag after a missed putt.

Lorena and Pressel, in order.

I knew you had to take the flagstick out to putt and not get a penalty if you hit it. So what happens if you chip or pitch from the fairway or rough and hole it but do hit the flagstick? Is it still a penalty or what?

It's only a penalty if your ball was on the putting green.

Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!