IGNORED

Ball Position on Uphill and Downhill Lies

Note: This thread is 1400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with your ball position on downhill and uphill lies?

• Nothing - I keep it in the same place as a flat lie.
    • Downhill the ball is forward. Uphill the ball is back.
    • Downhill the ball is back. Uphill the ball is forward.

• Administrator
Michael Breed goes against what people usually seem to recommend: that on a downhill lie you play the ball back and vice versa. He recommends you play the ball forward on a downhill lie.

How do you play a downhill or uphill lie?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play it the same... I like uphil lies though better, since I sweep my irons, so this actually makes me take a divot instead of just sweeping it up.

It's not something I've ever really payed much attention to, though. Neither lie seems to really bother me unless it's pretty severe.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

On downhill lies I play the ball back in my stance, and on uphill lies I play the ball forward. But, it hasn't been working for me so I'm going to try the opposite. I think it's mostly the mental aspect that's affecting my shots. I always chunk it on uphill lies and thin it on downhill lies (expected).

So, if I make it so the ball is up on dowhill lies and back on uphill lies, maybe I will make a mental note to move my weight more forward on the downswing for dowhill lies and keep still on uphill lies. This is a pretty good thread. Which Iacas is not known for.....

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

On downhill lies, I play the ball back a little. Uphill lies are a little different. Sometimes I use the hill, play the ball forward, take more club and go ahead and hit hit high. Other times, I play the ball back, keep my shoulders level and hit into the hill and drive the ball. The ball acts more like a punch shot, but I like it because it is easier to control from shorter distances.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I try to orient my spine to the hill like I would on a flat lie (approx. perpendicular), and I may change the loft of the club depending on it being uphill or downhill. Downhill always feels trickier.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I must be completely screwed up......I tend to move it a bit back in my stance for both downhill and uphill lies.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've given this question a lot of thought over the years, and tried many different approaches. It is a matter of degree for me, and how I feel.

First off, there seems to be some "minimum angle" so that the term uphill and downhill don't seem to make as much difference, and when the slope is less than this amount, I play the shot the same as a normal shot, with only a little change in trajectory. I can use legs and shoulders to level things out.

But if there is a slope more than this angle (and the angle sort of changes depending on how well I am playing), then the situation changes and I hit what the angle dictates. If it is downhill, I accept the ball will come out lower and hotter. If it is uphill, I generally try to knock the shot down a little and guard against the hook, unless I really want the extra height on the shot. In both cases, I take a little more club and swing more within myself, not trying to get anything extra. In general, the downhill lie is the hardest one for me, more than side hill or uphill. I've learned to take my medicine and drive the ball down while trying to make sure I don't fade it or come off the shot.

This topic is timely. Today, I actually tried a more forward ball position on a iron approach from a moderate downhill lie (hear about Breed's idea.) I stepped through the shot a bit, like a Gary Player follow-thorough. It actually worked, somewhat to my amazement. Hit it in there about 10-12 feet, slightly long and right, from 180 out into the wind on the number one handicap hole, and stopped it on a dime. I tried to act like the step through was all planned (it was unavoidable.) The shot had more height, and went very straight -- probably the best shot of my day given the difficulty factor. Maybe there is something to playing it forward. As we sometimes say, "It worked one time in a row."

RC

Downhill the ball is back. Uphill the ball is forward. It's the way I learned and it works for me.
In My Bag (upgrading soon hopefully)

Driver: TiSI 10°
Irons: ISI Black Dot 3-PW (minus lost 5i)
Putter G5i Piper JMAX Milled Wedge 52°Ball: Whatever I Can Find

I must be completely screwed up......I tend to move it a bit back in my stance for both downhill and uphill lies.

I do the same. I have trouble clearing my hips on uphill lies so if I play it too forward then I tend to pull my shots.

« Keith »

With both lies I take a wide stance to get good support and feel stable. I don't make a full turn or swing, more like a bunker shot really where I keep my legs and hips quiet so I don't lose my position.

On downhill lies I move the ball back a bit, to center or slightly behind, depending on the angle of the hill.

On uphill lies I keep the ball where I always do or a bit more towards the middle, depending on the angle.

Little hip turn so I don't lose balance, on uphill I try to do a sort of stack & tilt swing with weight on the left foot. I do not want to risk falling back on my right foot and losing control.
Most important is the angle of your shoulders anyways. Always trying to keep them parallell with the ground. Doing that, chances are bigger that you'll fall back if you don't keep your weight forward

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Uphill I play it back, downhill slightly forward. I also was told once to try a slightly open stance on uphill lies to help get (hips) through the ball and it has helped a lot! My dad lives on a course in the mountains and these lies are very common.

Also try to keep shoulders even with the turf.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Must be noted that playing the ball back means different things. Jack hit everything off his left heel, so for him, playing a ball in the middle of the stance would be playing it back.

I tend to place the ball back a bit on long downhill, uphill, side hill, and long fairway bunker shots. This mentally helps me to hit the ball first.

On short uphill shots, I'll play the ball forward a bit.

keeping shoulders level with the slope helps.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Downhill- less club, ball back
Uphill- more club, normal ball position
(I play everything off the inside of my left heel)

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

• Administrator
Must be noted that playing the ball back means different things. Jack hit everything off his left heel, so for him, playing a ball in the middle of the stance would be playing it back.

I think most people will assume "back" and "forward" mean "from their normal position."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Basically for either lie I try to get my shoulder parrallel to the surface and put the ball back in my stance to help ensure good contact. Of course this means that I usually have to aim a little bit one way or the other depending on the direction of the lie, but I have found this works much better for me as opposed to moving the ball around. I play the ball back for most awkward lies.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I really need help with this. I got on one hole that was very sloped, and melted down.
It cost me the match.

Also, didn't see it in this thread, what about alignment for a shot where it is not straight up or down hill, but sideways above or below your feet.
I believe I read or seen a recent tip to expect the ball flight to follow the shap of the slope you are on ?

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

I really need help with this. I got on one hole that was very sloped, and melted down.

I'd say it's just like an airplane. Tilt it to the left and it will fly left, and vice versa. When ball is above your feet, it will have a tendency to fly left. Again, and vice versa.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

1st off, I assume you mean ball above/below feet, if not then this answer is for a diffrent thread!

With the ball severely above my feet I more often than not will play it back in my stance while choking up on the club an amount appropriate for the slope. I have found the choking up is very important, otherwise I'll end up w/ a pull.

With it severely below my feet, play it more neutral to front depending on the slope. I also concentrate on closing the club face completely to prevent a push.

I do have more success/confidence with the ball above feet then below FWIW.

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Note: This thread is 1400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!