IGNORED

Have you been professionally fitted?

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Have you ever been professionally fittted?

• Yes
    • No

I am in the process of being professionally fitted. It is being done by my instructor which to me is beneficial because he knows my swing and what we're working on.

The other obvious advantage to this is the amount of time we have spent getting it right. I am pretty sure that we are about done with irons, we have the specs but will be testing 4-5 different style of heads to make a final decision. This took about 4hrs of time to fit for the irons. Shaft length,shaft weight,shaft flex, amount of offset,lie angle were all fitted.
I will be going through the same process for my driver and woods and hybrid.
To me the ideal position would be to be a fairly high handicap,fairly new golfer. Go and find a great instructor who is also a fitter, he or she can then work with you on your swing and work with you to get fitted for the proper sized clubs for your swing.

I will say that i was a skeptic going in. But now i am a complete believer. I would never have imagined that i would ever strike the ball so much better with being fitted.
I will also say that i am 6'2" so needing a longer shaft length was kinda obvious.

I will also say that having a top pro fit you is probably the biggest key. If they know what you are doing then its a given to me that you will play better after being fitted.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my MP-67's fitted and it has helped tremendously. I was hitting my irons thin when I decided to get fitted. It turns out I needed an inch added, and that made all the difference in the world. Now I need new irons because I wore out the grooves in the sweet spot.
Driver: ZL 10.5⁰
Fairway: Burner 15⁰/19⁰
Irons: MP-67
Wedges: 1018 52⁰/56⁰/60⁰
Putter: Byron Morgan 007xBall: Pro V1x

I'm planning on getting fitted at the Callaway Performance Center in Carlsbad. I haven't been fitted before, but hopefully fitted clubs will help me tremendously, especially because I'm still playing ladies clubs that I have outgrown. =P

Not fitted for new clubs, but got my irons and wedges adjusted 2º upright on the lie, nothing else needed to be done. I feel more comfortable at adress, may be slicing a bit less than before, but no dramatic changes. It's such a small adjustment that the difference isn't all that big.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

was fitted about 1 month ago - noticed immediate improvement with ball flight and ball striking consistency

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

How much does it cost to get fitted? Can they fit a whole set?

If later you want to sell an iron set can you get them set back to standard?

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

How much does it cost to get fitted? Can they fit a whole set?

Depends on where you go. You are in Southern California so I will make a recommendation for you. Go to Max Out Golf Labs. They do a dynamic fitting that lasts a few hours. Its by appointment only but its well worth it. Another person to try is Joe Kwok. You can look him up at Joe Kwok Solutions. Excellent club fitter and club builder. Both of these places will fit you for everything. I went to the NY location and had my entire bag fitted: Driver, Wedges, Irons, Putter and Hybrids. They also provide a "blueprint" which gives you all your spec information that you can use for future references. You can definitely get equipment bent back to standard. As for the original question posted by the OP: Anyone who is serious about their game like most of us here on the 'trap, should get fitted. A good fitter will make recommendations on almost everything from loft to type of shaft and its weight, that will almost be certain to put you on the path to becoming a better golfer. Ultimately, though, it's up to your work ethic and desire but being confident that your equipment is exclusive to you, well, isn't that worth time, effort and money?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Depends on where you go. You are in Southern California so I will make a recommendation for you. Go to Max Out Golf Labs. They do a dynamic fitting that lasts a few hours. Its by appointment only but its well worth it.

Thanks a lot man! very helpful response =)

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

Depends on where you go. You are in Southern California so I will make a recommendation for you. Go to Max Out Golf Labs. They do a dynamic fitting that lasts a few hours. Its by appointment only but its well worth it.

I need to suggest

against the Max Out Golf in Southern California. I've heard good things about their other locations, and a few of my friends had good experiences elsewhere, such as the ones in the north-east that I presume you went to, but everyone I know - myself included - who went to the one in So Cal (specifically, Sherman Oaks) was given the same set of suggested clubs (for new clubs) and same suggested shafts (regardless of new or used). This includes a man over 70 and another, younger man, with a + handicap. In fairness, they might suggest different shafts for women, but I don't know any that went there. Everyone who I know that went to the Sherman Oaks location was suggested the same AeroTech R-Flex iron shafts, which Max Out Golf tries to push as steel but are really graphite, standard length. TaylorMade's newest driver, standard length, R-Flex. 3-Wood with Fujikura (sp?) shaft. Putter 34", Scotty Cameron unless another advance brand was specified (two people mentioned they wanted Mizuno-brand clubs were suggested Bettinardi). It's become almost a running joke at courses around here to mention Max Out Golf when you see someone with the AeroTech shafts. Since removing these shafts from my irons, and putting my R300s back in (fit by a Mizuno rep - and they were certainly not the standard length). There are good fitters, but Max Out Golf isn't one of them. They aren't lacking in pedigree - the founder won the U.S. Amateur in between Phil Mickelson and Justin Leonard. But when everyone is suggested the same clubs and shafts, I start to get suspicious. I found out about this about a month and a half after I got "fitted" by them, and have since called about a dozen times with no response from them. I stopped when I saw their location isn't there anymore.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I need to suggest

Wow that seems pretty sketchy. Is there any other places in southern California that you can recommend? If it helps, I live in Ventura County

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:

Wow that seems pretty sketchy. Is there any other places in southern California that you can recommend? If it helps, I live in Ventura County

Many OEMs will do this for you, if you know which clubs you want to buy. Callaway and TaylorMade have big fitting facilities in Orange County. Many, including those two, will give you suggested specifications at their fitting days.

If you don't want to go to a manufacturer, there are other solutions. golf_junkie27 is usually right on the money on just about everything he says. That's part of why I jumped in when I did. If I were to go for another fitting, and didn't want to go to the club manufacturers directly, I would take his other suggestion:
Another person to try is Joe Kwok. You can look him up at Joe Kwok Solutions. Excellent club fitter and club builder.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My fear of being fitted is that in trying to improve my game, I will significantly change my swing, grip, stance, etc and the fitting will be void.
Driver: Cleveland Hi-Bore Tour 9.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Red-Stiff
Fairway: Cleveland Hi-Bore 15°, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red-Stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Dual TP 3H, Diamana Blue Board-Stiff
Irons: MacGregor MT 3-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff
Wedges: MacGregor MT Pro 52-6° & 58-10°Putter:...

My advice..don't get fitted until you have a decent game goin' for you (i.e. single dig handicap). Most irons are one size fit all except for really tall or short people. It's just a big hassel and if you change setup or posture you may be in trouble. So i mean it is a personal choice and more power to you if you do.

I'm not so sure this is good advice? You think everybody is born a single digit?

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Callaway and TaylorMade have big fitting facilities in Orange County.

I met someone who works at the TaylorMade fitting facility and my instructor asked him about me getting fitted and they said I most likely wouldn't be able to get fitted there. I think their fitting facility is very exclusive? I dont know.

But my instructor sends a lot of his students to the Callaway center to get fit so I'm going there instead since I have Callaway irons right now anyways. Titleist also has a fitting center in California, but I think it's $750 to get fitted.

If tiger woods and anthony kim can learn on clubs that were too heavy and stiff for them, than i think i can as well. Fitting really isn't needed unless you are a good golfer...meaning consistantly shoot in the mid to low 70's. High handicappers will not see an improvement, its best if they spend their money on lessons.

If tiger woods and anthony kim can learn on clubs that were too heavy and stiff for them, than i think i can as well. Fitting really isn't needed unless you are a good golfer...meaning consistantly shoot in the mid to low 70's. High handicappers will not see an improvement, its best if they spend their money on lessons.

Nonsense. I'm not sure why you're trying to downplay the importance of fitting, but you're

talking crap . You're trying to say fitting is some elitest procedure only for Single figure players - why, because you're there? Why just for single figure players and why not for scratch players who regularly break par? I agree that fitting isn't necessary for absolute beginners, but to say it's only needed for 70 shooters? If you are Joe average who can pick up a standard set and it fits, then it's all well and good. But what about if the player really needs a different lie angle - a couple of deg up or flat, you think using standard lie angles is really going to help them improve?
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

I need to suggest

Shin,

That is awful. My experience was the exact opposite. They did not push a single brand and actually made some alterations on my wedges and putter. Did not have to purchase anything new but they just bent my wedges and added weight and increased the loft of my putter. I'm sorry that they did this to you. As for the Aerotech, I've read that it's actually a combo shaft. Meaning, that they have a graphite core and steel fiber that covers the entire shaft. This is one shaft that comes highly praised from the folks at Scratch Golf. (They make sweet wedges BTW) Glad to see that you wee able to rectify the situation.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

To all the folks wondering about fitting.

If you have the option to get fitted when buying new clubs, do it. Period. The process is not going to make you play any worse.
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood

Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!