IGNORED

Tiger's Poor (or Childish or Angry or Unprofessional) Antics

wrx_junki
Note: This thread is 5381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why is that strange? How does a persons backstory and current profession have anything to do with which athlete he favor? Why should the media reward the "best person", a term I'd be interested to hear how you judge by, by the way. Would've been pretty boring if all the media and fans praised a single person, being the highest ranked player that behaves like some people here expect.

I think he likes Tiger Woods because he is a brat.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Tiger's not a brat.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh my God. He is not a perfect human being in every way. Let's ban him from the tour. I frankly do not like him any less for his outbursts. Kind of makes him more human to me. He has worked to get better about it but his competitive nature is so strong it would probably be unnatural for him to completely stifle it.

Look at how he lives his life, his dedication, a good guy by and large. He's not a gregarious people person that people naturally like but a pretty clean guy it seems.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

It seems as though he is trying to change a little bit. I remember (although not specifically) after one bad shot he yelled "TIGER!" in place of any other choice word that he would normally use. I really don't mind the outbursts. He's an extraordinarily competitive person and is trying his very hardest on every single shot. If he wasn't as competitive and fiery he wouldn't be the player that he is.

909D3 9.5° w/ UST ProForce V2 (XS)
975F 14.5° w/ UST ProForce V2 (XS)
735CM 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold (S300)
56° Spin Milled
60° Spin Milled Studio Style Newport 2 35" Pro V1x or Tour B330

This reminds me of Vijay during The Masters. I would link the youtube but I fear for our youth learning "highly technical golf language". Besides, anything a golfer mutters to himself very softly should not be broadcast.

But he does seem like every shot is horrible unless it is in the hole. Maybe this is why he is so good?

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

I do not like Tiger's antics. I think it's immature and unprofessional. He wouldn't want his kids doing the things he do on the golf course, so why would it be alright with him? He's suppose to be a role model for kids and golfers around the world. Nike should start taking away money and he should be getting suspended from tournaments. But congrats to him winning the Buick Open he played very well.

• Administrator
He wouldn't want his kids doing the things he do on the golf course, so why would it be alright with him?

Because he's an adult, not a kid.

I don't want to see a kid chugging a 40, but if I see a 30-year-old dude doing it I really don't care.
He's suppose to be a role model for kids and golfers around the world.

Sez who?

Nike should start taking away money and he should be getting suspended from tournaments.

Ha! Now I get it. Your whole post is sarcasm/satire. Got it. Ha ha.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He wouldn't want his kids doing the things he do on the golf course, so why would it be alright with him? He's suppose to be a role model for kids and golfers around the world.

I gotta say, if someone's kids are learning how to act from a pro golfer, there are more problems at home than swearing after a bad shot.

9* 2009 Launcher
3W & 5W
3-PW MP-52
56/10 & 60/10 SV Tour Wedges
Dual Force 220 Putter Tour ix

Sez who?

The term role model first appeared in Robert K. Merton's socialization research of medical students. Merton hypothesized that individuals compare themselves with reference groups of people who occupy the social role to which the individual aspires. The term has passed into general use to mean any "person who serves as an example, whose behaviour is emulated by others".

-wikipedia Wikipedia for one (by my reading of it at least). My opinion (thats right, just an opinion) is that people do not get to decide if they are or are not role models. Sorry Charles Barkley. It seems to me that the individuals doing the emulating make that determination. If people (or a person) think(s) of you as an "example" and "emulates" you, then you are a role model. We may disagree about the definition but I doubt anyone would argue that some folks out there see Tiger as an example and do emulate him to some extent.

The job of a parent is to help a child understand the complexities of life, to build character, to educate, to strengthen, etc. Tiger may be a role model by wikipedia's definition, but that doesn't mean that as a parent you have to sit back and silently let Tiger's behavior be accepted by your child as the appropriate way to act. Tiger can serve as a good role model for his *work ethic* and his *competitiveness*, sure. So he swears - be a good parents and help your child put that in perspective. A kid doesn't have to emulate EVERYthing that Tiger does. What, he's going to marry a blonde? Live in Florida? Blow out his knee? All because Tiger is his 'role model'? He's a golfer who swears (like 99% of golfers). Where's the fire?

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

My opinion (thats right, just an opinion) is that people do not get to decide if they are or are not role models. Sorry Charles Barkley. It seems to me that the individuals doing the emulating make that determination. If people (or a person) think(s) of you as an "example" and "emulates" you, then you are a role model. We may disagree about the definition but I doubt anyone would argue that some folks out there see Tiger as an example and do emulate him to some extent.

Maybe, but the fact that Tiger (or Barkley) is great at a sport doesn't give you any special right to demand that he behave according to your moral preferences. He's an adult, he's free to make his own decisions. If you don't like them, you don't have to continue being a fan. If your kids are idolizing him, it's YOUR job to make sure they understand that being a great athlete has no bearing on other aspects of the guy's behavior.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

The job of a parent is to help a child understand the complexities of life, to build character, to educate, to strengthen, etc. Tiger may be a role model by wikipedia's definition, but that doesn't mean that as a parent you have to sit back and silently let Tiger's behavior be accepted by your child as the appropriate way to act. Tiger can serve as a good role model for his *work ethic* and his *competitiveness*, sure. So he swears - be a good parents and help your child put that in perspective. A kid doesn't have to emulate EVERYthing that Tiger does. What, he's going to marry a blonde? Live in Florida? Blow out his knee? All because Tiger is his 'role model'? He's a golf who swears (like 99% of golfers). Where's the fire?

I agree whole-heartedly with this. I will add that parents should try to carefully filter the characteristics of all beloved public figures. Tiger may be the best rolel model out there but, nobody alive exemplifies

every character trait that I wish I could apply to my son/daughter. I worry that forum users are being to touchy about this thread. Not every poster that does not mind Tiger's on-course attitude is saying that he is the picture of morality. Nor is every poster critical of his behavior saying that he should be kicked off the tour. For some, it would help Tiger's image if he was more laid back. For others, it would harm his image. No real harm in either opinion. Not a single post in this thread is gonna change the way Tiger behaves. It is just a neat way to share thoughts.

Maybe, but the fact that Tiger (or Barkley) is great at a sport doesn't give you any special right to demand that he behave according to your moral preferences. He's an adult, he's free to make his own decisions. If you don't like them, you don't have to continue being a fan. If your kids are idolizing him, it's YOUR job to make sure they understand that being a great athlete has no bearing on other aspects of the guy's behavior.

Again, I agree. Nobody gets to demand anything from role models. He does have the right to make his own decisions. And viewers certainly do not have to approve of them.

The thing about kids is that it can be tough to be sure what is "getting through" to them. Your right, that is the parent's problem not Tiger's. However, it can be a significant one. I would guess that most parents would be proud if their son or daughter turned out to be exactly like Tiger. I know I would. Overall, he IS worthy of admiration and emulation. On the other had, many parents would choose Tiger minus the profanity, club slamming, etc. over the former.

I didn't care if Tiger swore. He's toned down the use of the f-word and has, for a few years, limited himself to "goddammit." I was okay with him flipping clubs - even "throwing" clubs though certainly not as defined by Tommy Bolt et al. - at his bag after a shot.

Well, first of all the smoking thing isn't fair because back in their prime it was the correct and cool thing to do. Havn't seen them fire one up in the last 20 years or so. I think the difference between me and Tiger firing off an "F" bomb is that I'm not on TV. I don't care how he talks off the course out of earshot of mainly women and children but on the course it's pathetic. He should and could stop it. I don't understand why his agent, or maybe the company with the big swoosh on his chest don't speak to him about it. If I talked like that at my job guess what, I would get fired.!!!!...wonder what he's gonna say to his kid the first time they shank one and they drop the "F" bomb...."doin' like daddy does!"...

Actually the reason Jack quit smoking on the golf course is because he didn't like the way he looked when he saw film of himself doing it. It's been decades since Nicklaus or Palmer smoked on the golf course, and it was a completely different era. The kind of swearing Tiger does on the course would not have been heard from Jack or Arnie on the course, no matter how "pissy" it is claimed they were.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Well, first of all the smoking thing isn't fair because back in their prime it was the correct and cool thing to do. Havn't seen them fire one up in the last 20 years or so.

If by

"them" you mean any tour player, I've seen a few players light up on the course. Many of the asian players smoke during their round(s).
I think the difference between me and Tiger firing off an "F" bomb is that I'm not on TV. I don't care how he talks off the course out of earshot of mainly women and children but on the course it's pathetic.

I'm assuming here but the people that are watching Tiger are probably well aware of his "antics". I'd say the odds are good that they've seen these things on tv or have read or heard about them. It's there choice to follow him, it's their choice to hear and see these things.

He should and could stop it.

He should stop it because you and some other armchair quarterbacks say so?

I don't understand why his agent, or maybe the company with the big swoosh on his chest don't speak to him about it. If I talked like that at my job guess what, I would get fired.!!!!

I pretty much consider Tiger (and many of the other tour players) self employed.

...wonder what he's gonna say to his kid the first time they shank one and they drop the "F" bomb...."doin' like daddy does!"...

That's an issue for him to face.....no concern of mine. Good chance it's going to go down as any other parent that faces that issue.

Well, first of all the smoking thing isn't fair because back in their prime it was the correct and cool thing to do. Havn't seen them fire one up in the last 20 years or so. I think the difference between me and Tiger firing off an "F" bomb is that I'm not on TV. I don't care how he talks off the course out of earshot of mainly women and children but on the course it's pathetic. He should and could stop it. I don't understand why his agent, or maybe the company with the big swoosh on his chest don't speak to him about it. If I talked like that at my job guess what, I would get fired.!!!!...wonder what he's gonna say to his kid the first time they shank one and they drop the "F" bomb...."doin' like daddy does!"...

If you go to a tournament you'll see players smoke a lot. Tim Heron smokes, Tommy Armor III smokes among others.

I have no problem with it at all. Smoking isn't illegal and isn't morally wrong so what's the problem? Kids might see it? I don't care about other peoples kids and if someone feels the need to shelter their kids so much then lock them in their rooms. Smokers are persecuted enough in this Nazi attempt to marginalize and demonize a group of people that enjoy smoking in a free country. As for swearing, once again who cares? Kids? This world isn't for kids so I don't care. If a parent doesn't like their kids to hear a word then don't bring them. Adults, living in an adult world, don't really care about other peoples kids. If someone makes the choice to have a family, fine. But don't expect the adult world to act like children to appease them. Tiger is a competitor of the highest level. He is intense. More intense than most anyone can believe. He expects to be great. He has to let it out some how and this is how he does it. Remember, Tiger Woods plays golf for himself. Not for us. I'm sure he could give a damn what some people think of him. And good for him for it.

Reading through the book review thread on Tiger's book, he had this to say in it:

-On bad shots
"I wish I could find a way to deal with those situations without being a jerk but I haven't been able to. It's my way of dealing with bad shots and I regret that it offends some people but I have to do what is necessary for my game."

How can you argue with this?

Note: This thread is 5381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!