IGNORED

Dilema

Note: This thread is 5383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok i have a HUGE dilema. I had been looking at a set of irons and had finally settled on a set of TM tour prefereds w/ kbs shafts. Well turns out i made a STUPID descision and i HATE the irons(i shoot really well for one round then shoot 90s cause i lose all feel) and have decided to try a different set. I am currently thinking of going with the Titleist ZBs or getting the PW-8 iron in mizzy mp67/68(has anyone hit the 68s?), 7-6 in mp-62, and 5-4 and maybe 3 in mp-52 or 57s. My question would i have any trouble with lofts and lies if i mix and match the mizuno set or should i get the zbs because they are all the same lofts. Also has anyone tried mixing and matching the mizuno irons. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

P.S.-I now agree with Iacas that TM cavity backs are terrible(i have heard many of his stories about them not being responsive at all)!!!!!

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Ok i have a HUGE dilema. I had been looking at a set of irons and had finally settled on a set of TM tour prefereds w/ kbs shafts.

Strike one. Your name is "Titleist Man" and you settled for TaylorMade clubs.

Well turns out i made a STUPID descision and i HATE the irons(i shoot really well for one round then shoot 90s cause i lose all feel) and have decided to try a different set.

Back to zero strikes, since you figured it out

I am currently thinking of going with the Titleist ZBs or getting the PW-8 iron in mizzy mp67/68(has anyone hit the 68s?), 7-6 in mp-62, and 5-4 and maybe 3 in mp-52 or 57s.

I don't think the -68s are out yet: they aren't even on Mizuno USA's site, despite some pictures existing of them.

My question would i have any trouble with lofts and lies if i mix and match the mizuno set or should i get the zbs because they are all the same lofts.

Mixing sets doesn't mean the lofts have to match. Look at Titleist's AP1 and AP2 sets - they integrate. At the cross-point you might have a 6 degree gap, but not a distance gap (beyond the expected 10 yards/iron). I believe the same is true with integrating MP-57 and -67 (although it's only a 5-degree gap there).

Also has anyone tried mixing and matching the mizuno irons. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

The following threads may be useful to you in your quest:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21534 http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21074

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just a personal opinion, but I would steer clear of mixing sets. It's hard enough to get good feel going in a round with just one set, but to get good feel with 2 different iron sets is giving yourself something else to deal with that isn't necessary.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

Man... i am glad i came to this thread.

First off, the R7TP are not bad!!!! I hate the tour preffered but the R7 TP are still great irons! They arent blades, but god, i dont care if im not hitting it in the exact sweet spot.. so what if it feels the same between a nickel and a penny size spot.. it doesnt matter!!

as for mixing, mizuno is all about keeping in the style... if you want to match, the MP 60's go with the 32's, and the 67's go with the 57's. Here is what i warn you..I am a pretty good ball striker, i played the 60's, 32's, and 67's all in the past year for more than a few rounds.... an average 9 iron went like this,

32's-155
60's-157
67's-140

So what im saying is i have a hard tiem playing OTR 67's with a mixed set because i hit them just short. You gotta bend em alittle strong or the other irons weak to match up your yardage gaps. the 32's and 60's are verrrrry similar clubs.. as in the 32 is a very forgiving blade. so going with the 32 60 combo set is a great idea. get the 32's in 7-pw and the 60's in 2-6. i wouldnt go with the 57's.. i am sure they are good for some people, but i just cant stand em.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Just a personal opinion, but I would steer clear of mixing sets. It's hard enough to get good feel going in a round with just one set, but to get good feel with 2 different iron sets is giving yourself something else to deal with that isn't necessary.

I can tell you that there's no problem with mixing sets. I do not have a problem going between three different sets during the course of the a round. Good irons perform if you swing'em well.

I was going to mix a Mizuno set (67-57) myself but decided on getting the ZB's. I thought both sets were comparable, I just got a better deal on the Titleist's. If the Mizunos were $50 less, I might have got them. After almost a year with the ZB's, I can say I will have these clubs for a long time. I don't have even the slightest interest in getting anything else.

One thing about mixing the Mizunos, the 67's have weaker lofts than the others so be prepared to have them bent, or have a big gap between a couple of clubs.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

What's wrong with the 67's in your sig? I really don't see why you would buy new ones if you are gonna go with Mizuno blades.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Disagree completely. I have 3 types of irons (see below). The transition between clubs is effortless. I get the added forgiveness in my long irons and control in my short irons. The best of both worlds. What are you basing your opinion on?

My irons consist of: 4 & 5 Pocket cavity 6 & 7 Cavity back 8-P (and all wedges) Blades Back to the OP. Why would you even consider the 68's without hitting them first? I encourage the combo or mixed set because of the reason(s) I noted above but I would suggest hitting each club first. There are definitely subtle differences between the clubs you are considering.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

One thing I will add to the OP and please don't take it the wrong way.

Make a decision and stick with it!! For months you have been obsessing over new clubs. Do I want club A or club B or club C? Try them all, figure out which one you like best, pick a shaft that works, and go get them. Half the summer is gone and you still don't have what you want. I can guarantee you this, once you make the decision and are at peace with it, your life and game will be so much better off.

No clubs will be perfect the first few rounds. Anytime you change, it will take some time to get used to them. Maybe you just need some more time with the TM's to get used to them. It took me about 10 rounds and 8-10 range trips to get to where I am comfortable with my new set. They were so much different than what I had, it just took some time to get used to them.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Ever wonder if it's the indian and not the arrows?

I find the Tour Preferred to be very responsive, forgiving (for a small club with minimal offset) and good from ever lie. I didn't think they agreed with me at first but I gave them time. After all - the guys who fitted me really know what they're talking about and they said I was going to love this club. The KBS shafts are brilliant too.

It's very easy to blame the clubs when you shoot in the 90's. You're playing off a handicap of 7? Thought you'd be able to break 90 with any irons. Feel or no feel. Missing a green should only be one drop shot for you. Were you driving it in the rough? Shanking it? Hitting it into water hazards or OB?

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Ever wonder if it's the indian and not the arrows?

great post.

I mean clubs help. honestly, you gotta like what your hitting, but the 67's are great clubs, you dont get much more feel than them, but they are the opposite of the tour preffered. your not gonna hit it the same, probobly much higher, and a bit less spin with a lot more distance. you got two great sets there, just pick one and game em. its not bad to tinker about with say your driver, but you gotta have confidence in your irons wedges and putter so that when you hit that driver bad, you can still par.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Well you guys are right I have been obsessing over irons and I should learn to get comfortable with them and trust them. I think I will give them another try after all my tourneys are over. I guess the thing is that the taylormades and mizunos are sooooo different. Well thanks for all the help. Probably a pointless thread but thanks this sets my mind at ease.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Well you guys are right I have been obsessing over irons and I should learn to get comfortable with them and trust them.

thats probably a very good idea. ive been playing the same model (2nd set) since 2003. before that i played the DCI 962's for 9 straight years. i know my irons like the back of my hand and how far i can hit each one of them and what kind of shot i can hit with each one of them. ive tinkered with different sets here and there but for the most part ive always stuck with one set and i truly believe it helps in the long run, at least for me anyways. i am VERY comfortable with the irons ive been using for 6 years now. i just dont understand how someone can play a different set of irons every year. i mean, well, yes i can understand it, but for me personally i like getting used to one set and staying with them once im comfortable with them. not playing the latest and greatest set that comes out every year. but, to each his own...

thats probably a very good idea. ive been playing the same model (2nd set) since 2003. before that i played the DCI 962's for 9 straight years. i know my irons like the back of my hand and how far i can hit each one of them and what kind of shot i can hit with each one of them. ive tinkered with different sets here and there but for the most part ive always stuck with one set and i truly believe it helps in the long run, at least for me anyways. i am VERY comfortable with the irons ive been using for 6 years now. i just dont understand how someone can play a different set of irons every year. i mean, well, yes i can understand it, but for me personally i like getting used to one set and staying with them once im comfortable with them. not playing the latest and greatest set that comes out every year. but, to each his own...

Very true. I mean i understand that finding a set that you are comfortable with is hard. i mean you try some and after a few rounds you just know that they are not for you. but i mean you gotta give them a chance in the bag, dont just say you had one bad round and that its the clubs. Hell i hooked the ball more than i ever imagined with this nike head i have, took it to the range today and realized that its really my swing, give it some time and cooler heads prevail

Note: This thread is 5383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!