IGNORED

How Do I Post to GHIN For Match Play?

Fairway_CY
Note: This thread is 1737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So... I've never played in a match play tournament before. This coming Saturday is the qualifying (stroke play) round... and assuming I make it through there into the top 16 (or 8 depending on flight entries) I will play my first ever match play round the following Saturday.

My question is... how do I post it to GHIN?

Suppose the match is over by hole 12... I know a 'legal' round is at least 14 holes. Do I just report it as a 9 hole round then?

And... if it goes 15... I just take par plus handicap strokes... right?

But... how do I handle conceded putts? I've ALWAYS putted everything out so there was no question when I posted. But, if my opponent is hitting 6 on a par 4 short of the green and I'm waiting to putt for birdie from 20 feet and he gives me that putt to concede the hole... how do I score it?

Thanks for the help.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Suppose the match is over by hole 12... I know a 'legal' round is at least 14 holes. Do I just report it as a 9 hole round then?

Yep. And a legal round is 13 holes, actually.

Source: USGA Handicap Manual If 13 or more holes are played, the player must post an 18-hole score. If 7 to 12 holes are played, the player must post a nine-hole score. In either case, scores for unplayed holes must be recorded as par plus any handicap strokes that the player is entitled to receive on the unplayed holes. (See Section 4-2 and 5-1a .)

And... if it goes 15... I just take par plus handicap strokes... right?

Yep.

But... how do I handle conceded putts?

If you would have made the putt, you write that down. If you'd have two-putted, you write that down. You write down the score you most likely would have made, even if you are conceded the hole from the fairway or even the tee.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You write down the score you most likely would have made, even if you are conceded the hole from the fairway or even the tee.

Cool... thanks for the information. I didn't know 13 was a legal round, thanks for pointing that out to me. Hmmm... score I most likely would have made. I've been 50 yards from a green for my approach on a par 4 and made 9... guess I'll have to give myself the 'benefit of the doubt'. Thanks again... very helpful. CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Hmmm... score I most likely would have made. I've been 50 yards from a green for my approach on a par 4 and made 9... guess I'll have to give myself the 'benefit of the doubt'.

Most Likely Score

A "most likely score" is the score a player must post for handicap purposes if a hole is started but not completed or if the player is conceded a stroke. The most likely score consists of the number of strokes already taken plus, in the player's best judgment, the number of strokes the player would take to complete the hole from that position more than half the time. This number may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit. (See Section 4-3.) http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14370 Also you should check to see if you are required to post those rounds as Tournament Scores. In my club we require club championship matches to be posted as Tournament scores. Tournament Score A "tournament score" is a score made in a competition organized and conducted by the committee in charge of the competition. The competition must identify a winner(s) based on a stipulated round(s), and must be played under the principles of the Rules of Golf. Using the above definition as a guideline, the committee (preferably the Handicap Committee in consultation with the committee in charge of the competition) must determine in advance if these conditions are met and announce in advance whether the score must be identified by the letter "T" when posted. Routine events, such as regular play days, normally are not to be designated as T-scores because they are not significant in the traditions, schedules, formats, and membership of the club. (See eligible tournament score.) Examples of inter-club competition scores that may be posted as tournament scores when they meet the above conditions are: competitions restricted by age, member-guest competitions, team matches, qualifying rounds for city, state, and national competitions, and competitions conducted by golf associations. Examples of intra-club competition scores that may be posted as tournament scores when they meet the above conditions are low gross-low net competitions, four-ball match or stroke-play competitions, Stableford competitions, and club championships which are stroke or match play, scratch, or with handicap.

Rob Tyska

• 7 years later...

Bumping an old thread, friends have ask me "when a Match is over, should they complete the round?"
I have always thought that yes they should if they elect to, or scores will be entered by the committee as Par plus Handicap given players complete more than 13 holes for a round.

Some guys are indicating that regardless when the match is over, Par plus Handicap are recorded by the committee and players do not have the option to complete the round for scoring purpose.

Need some help here as I can not find the USGA ruling. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

5 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Bumping an old thread, friends have ask me "when a Match is over, should they complete the round?"
I have always thought that yes they should if they elect to, or scores will be entered by the committee as Par plus Handicap given players complete more than 13 holes for a round.

Some guys are indicating that regardless when the match is over, Par plus Handicap are recorded by the committee and players do not have the option to complete the round for scoring purpose.

My club makes it explicit:  feel free to play the remaining holes (you paid for it after all), but enter par + handicap for any remaining, regardless of your actual score.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I couldn't find an applicable decision in the Handicap Manual.  In my opinion, this would be a decision made in advance by some combination of the Handicap and Tournament Committees, and published for everyone to know.  I'm leaning toward thinking that a tournament match is a stipulated round, and the round is over when the match is decided.  I'd go with the method that @Shindig mentions.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 1 year later...

Bump @DaveP043 since I do not have a Handicap Manual a friend sent me this info on the ruling.

Match Play Score Posting.jpeg

He did indicate his manual is 3-4 years old and not sure if the ruling has changes.
IMO, it would be difficult for a committee to penalize a player or prove a player is inflating scores once a match is over. 

While on the other hand, I do not have a manual and online search has been no luck finding the current ruling,
I did come across this. I'm not sure if this is the new USGA ruling?

Posting Match Play Scores for Handicap Purposes 
The 2019 Match Play Scores will be posted in GHIN this year.  After reviewing the USGA policy for “Posting Match Play Scores” the Match Play Committee has concluded that the USGA policy should be followed.  
The concession of a hole is not a concession of the score on the hole as described in the USGA policy.  The other important part of the policy is that once a match has ended the score on each of the remaining holes is par plus any handicap strokes based on the hole handicap.  Said another way a player does not record scores for “playing out” the remaining holes.   
Please review carefully the “most likely score” description reproduced directly from the USGA policy below. 
It is important that everyone understand the procedures to be followed. 
The actual USGA Policy is as follows: 

POSTING MATCH PLAY SCORES For Handicap Purposes 

1. Holes played and completed  Record score for each hole played and completed.  
2. Holes played, but not completed  If you begin play on the hole but do not complete the hole, record the number of strokes taken, plus the number of strokes you most likely* would have taken to complete the hole. That number is not to exceed your maximum allowable hole score on the Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) Chart.  
3. Conceded Strokes  Treat conceded strokes the same as #2, Holes played but not completed.  
4. Holes not played  If you stop the match play round because one competitor has already won, record par plus any strokes you are entitled to on the remaining holes.
You must, however, play at least 13 holes in order for an 18-hole round to be posted, and must play at least 7 holes for a 9-hole round to be posted for handicap purposes. 

*most likely score:  A most likely score is the score a player must post for handicap purposes if a hole is started but not completed or if the player is conceded the hole. 
The “most likely score” consists of the number of strokes already taken, plus, in the player's best judgment, the number of strokes the player would take to complete the hole from that position more than half the time.  
This number may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit. 

36 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Bump @DaveP043 since I do not have a Handicap Manual a friend sent me this info on the ruling.

Match Play Score Posting.jpeg

He did indicate his manual is 3-4 years old and not sure if the ruling has changes.
IMO, it would be difficult for a committee to penalize a player or prove a player is inflating scores once a match is over. 

While on the other hand, I do not have a manual and online search has been no luck finding the current ruling,
I did come across this. I'm not sure if this is the new USGA ruling?

That is the current rule...  

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

That is the current rule...  

Thanks Dave, just to clarify, are you indicating the 5-2A/7 rule is still effective?

Or the rule in the Quoted section of the above message?

Just now, Club Rat said:

Thanks Dave, just to clarify, are you indicating the 5-2A/7 rule is still effective?

Or the rule in the Quoted section of the above message?

5-2a/7 is current.

In David's bag....

27 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I've never posted a match play score before.

Our club posts all match play scores as a tournament score.
Any sanctioned event, the scores are also posted as tournament scores by the event committee,
or at least the events I have played in.

@David in FL is right, the handicap manual hasn't changed since that decision was introduced.  The quoted portion may be a local Handicap Committee's procedure.  If so, it would be similar to a Committee using an unauthorized local rule, it runs contrary to published USGA rules.  Can you remember where you found it?

For future reference, you can get to the USGA Handicap Manual here:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14367

The Handicap Manual also outlines the requirements for scores to be considered Tournament rounds in the Definitions.  Some, but maybe not all, match play scores would qualify.

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

For future reference, you can get to the USGA Handicap Manual here:

I've read that through and through and not seeing any info addressing Match Play when contest is over.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Can you remember where you found it?

http://hrmga.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Posting-Match-Play-Scores-to-Ghin-1.pdf

Here is the article, it originated from Heritage Ranch MGA. Must be a local ruling as you indicated. 
This may be their guidelines or local club rule most likely.
Take a look at #4 - Holes not Played.

Match Play 2019.PNG

I did venture on this article from the Golf Association of Michigan 
https://gam.org/?News&newsID=85

12 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I've read that through and through and not seeing any info addressing Match Play when contest is over.

5-2a/7 is found in the decisions...

• Informative 1

In David's bag....

Thanks David, I'll grab the book at the club and give it a read.

14 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Thanks David, I'll grab the book at the club and give it a read.

You can also download the app for your phone or tablet.  Highly recommended.  :beer:

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 1737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!