IGNORED

Michelle Wie, Solheim Cup

iacas
Note: This thread is 5330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Does Michelle Wie belong on the 2009 Solheim Cup team?

• Hell yeah!
    • Hell no!
    • Only if she qualifies on points
    • I can see it either way (i.e. I'm a wimpy fence-straddler)

• Administrator
I think she belongs. She's sixteenth, yet she has only accumulated points this year. Christina Kim, who is pretty "safe" in eighth place currently, is 54th on this year's money list with $132k while Michelle Wie is 18th with $470k! Michelle's 20th in the Player of the Year race (done on points), while Christina Kim is T43.

And even just this year, Michelle's played 12 events and finished top 10 in five of them. Christina Kim? 15 events, ONE top-ten finish.

And that just speaks to the quality of her play. I haven't even touched the marketing bump the under-covered Solheim Cup will get.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I say only if she qualfies on points....but I was close to voting for 'I can see either way.'

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I say only if she qualfies on points, I think she should earn it. While she has a ton of potential, she has been given a lot a slack by golfing organizations. I don't think winning the Public Links at 13 is enough, need something more.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

• Administrator
I say only if she qualfies on points, I think she should earn it. While she has a ton of potential, she has been given a lot a slack by golfing organizations. I don't think winning the Public Links at 13 is enough, need something more.

This is what I don't get... what more does she need to do this year? The other girls had two years to get on the team. She's had one (because she's a rookie). Among U.S. rookies, she's #1 (and she's #2 behind Jiyai Shin, who is only technically a rookie). She's #18 on the money list, with only Kerr, Creamer, Stanford, Lincicome, and McPherson ahead of her on the U.S. side. She's got four more top-ten finishes in three fewer starts than Christina Kim has this year.

I think that based on her play THIS YEAR she HAS earned a spot. Virtually everyone else in the top 30 in the points standings has had two years to earn their points - that she's gotten to 16th playing only 12 events shows things. Here's a list of the other people who are in the top 30. What two would you pick over her? Laura Diaz, Stacy Prammanasudh, Pat Hurst, Juli Inkster, Jane Park, (Wie) Wendy Ward, Meaghan Francella, Irene Cho, Allison Fouch, Michele Redman, Stacy Lewis, Leta Lindley, Jill McGill, Heather Young, Reilley Rankin, Vicky Hurst, Katie Futcher, Sherri Steinhauer, Kelli Kuehne. All but Stacy Lewis and Vicky Hurst accumulated points last year, and only five of them (all of whom got points last year) are ahead of Wie - plus the ten in the top ten. I didn't mention the Publinx she won at 13. It has no bearing on the Solheim Cup. I think you've perhaps gone too far in the "make her earn it" sentiment, almost a sort of backlash... and ask you to reconsider, just because I'm curious if you'll change your mind. I think she's earned it based on her play this year, the only year her points have counted, and that from a "you want the strongest U.S. team possible" she deserves it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've got to go with "only if she makes it on points". She's a good player....will likely become a great player, but she still hasn't proven that she can close the deal at this level yet.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think Wie should be on the team. If nothing to bring needed attention to the week. But does it really matter? This tournament isnt worth following IMO until the the best players in the womans world, the asians, are allowed to participate. I bet if the solhiem cup was between the USA and South Korea it would rival the mens Ryder Cup.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

This is what I don't get... what more does she need to do this year? The other girls had two years to get on the team. She's had one (because she's a rookie). Among U.S. rookies, she's #1 (and she's #2 behind Jiyai Shin, who is only technically a rookie). She's #18 on the money list, with only Kerr, Creamer, Stanford, Lincicome, and McPherson ahead of her on the U.S. side. She's got four more top-ten finishes in three fewer starts than Christina Kim has this year.

I will admit that is backlash, but I feel her first Solheim Cup birth should be earned, not awarded. I do agree that she would bring more attention to the cup than any other player, but for the sake of her reputation with the rest of the American squad, I think she needs to earn her way.

While I have no idea what the rest of the team mind set is on this, if I was in one of the top eight players shoes, I would feel as if Wie was getting some entitlement that maybe she doesn't deserve. I would not have an issue if she was a veteran player or in the twlight of her career, but as a young player with many more opportunities to play in the Solhiem Cup, I feel it should be earned.

Craig 

• Administrator
I will admit that is backlash, but I feel her first Solheim Cup birth should be earned, not awarded. I do agree that she would bring more attention to the cup than any other player, but for the sake of her reputation with the rest of the American squad, I think she needs to earn her way.

And I would counter that she has earned it. She's the top point finisher among those who have had only one year, AND she's well inside the top 10 in points earned this year among all players. Obviously her standing only increases again (since they earned less points last year) if you do a "points per event" type system.

And Michelle was one of the players who was at the meeting that led to the ousting of Bivens. I think her peers have accepted her, she earned her LPGA card, and if anyone else was 16th in only one year and 12 events (as a rookie), everyone would be climbing over themselves to heap praise on the person and saying "there's no way she shouldn't be a captain's pick."
While I have no idea what the rest of the team mind set is on this, if I was in one of the top eight players shoes, I would feel as if Wie was getting some entitlement that maybe she doesn't deserve.

It's a twelve-player team. The top ten are in, the other two are captain's picks - just like Ryder Cup teams. 12...

I would not have an issue if she was a veteran player or in the twlight of her career, but as a young player with many more opportunities to play in the Solhiem Cup, I feel it should be earned.

Maybe we have different definitions of "earned." She's only been eligible to earn points this year. I think, of those outside the top 10, she's earned it the most. Only one I think might beat her is Juli Inkster, and that's just a sentimental pick - Michelle's the better player this year (Juli's not in the top 30 on the money list).

Also, Michelle's world ranking: 27th. Look up the world rankings of the other players I listed above... another reason I think she's earned it. Heck, the only Americans on top of her on that list are: Kerr (3), Creamer (5), Stanford (7), Lincicome (20), McPherson (21), and Pressel (23). That puts Michelle seventh. Juli is 40th, right behind Castrale (39) and Lang (30). Gulbis is 45th and Diaz is 49th. But okay, agree to disagree on what "earning" it means. I think she's "earned" a captain's pick. It would have been phenomenal to make it on points, but it's pretty phenomenal she got as high as she did in one year with only 12 events.

Hell Yes; the LPGA needs all of the help they can get right now. She's a draw and that's always good. Even in a John Daly sort of way.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

And I would counter that she has earned it. She's the top point finisher among those who have had only one year, AND she's well inside the top 10 in points earned this year among all players. Obviously her standing only increases again (since they earned less points last year) if you do a "points per event" type system.

Your points are valid and I admit to not being as educated on the topic as I should have been, if she is a captains pick, good.

Craig 

+1 playing the last in the British Open. If she keeps that up she'll be there or thereabouts on Sunday and might just qualify.

I voted yes.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

she is easily one of the top twelve US female golfers and deserves to be on the team. She can hit shots that most women can't and would be extremely valuable in alternate shot day one format.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

someone correct me if im wrong, but i thought i heard on the golf channel that she leads her tour in birdies made per round? i think she should be on the team if for nothing else based on her looks.

Colin P.

Maybe we have different definitions of "earned." She's only been eligible to earn points this year. I think, of those outside the top 10, she's earned it the most. Only one I think might beat her is Juli Inkster, and that's just a sentimental pick - Michelle's the better player this year (Juli's not in the top 30 on the money list).

I think 2009 scoring average is even more telling. Kerr is #1 on the entire LPGA. Stanford is 6, Creamer 7 and then there's Michelle at#11. Other current team members: Lang is 16, Gulbis 20, Mcpherson 22, Pressel 25 Castrale 33, Lincicome 46 and Christina Kim 75! And #s 11 and 12 in the Solheim Points race, Laura Diaz and Stacy P. are ranked 116 and 86 in scoring average, respectively.

Looks like she's earned it to me, as I want players who are playing well this year on the team.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• Administrator
I think 2009 scoring average is even more telling. Kerr is #1 on the entire LPGA. Stanford is 6, Creamer 7 and then there's Michelle at#11. Other current team members: Lang is 16, Gulbis 20, Mcpherson 22, Pressel 25 Castrale 33, Lincicome 46 and Christina Kim 75! And #s 11 and 12 in the Solheim Points race, Laura Diaz and Stacy P. are ranked 116 and 86 in scoring average, respectively.

They also pointed out during coverage today (she's T7 right now) that she earned the sixth most points this year - again, playing in fewer events including the double-points U.S. Women's Open - of any American player.

someone correct me if im wrong, but i thought i heard on the golf channel that she leads her tour in birdies made per round? i think she should be on the team if for nothing else based on her looks.

Really? She's one of the top 12 best looking American women golfers? That's so sad.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

its sad that i objectify women or that you dont think shes pretty? which one? relax bro, its just my opinion.

Colin P.

I definitely think she does. It'll overall be better for the game of golf because of the increase of media coverage due to a once proposed phenom starting to get her game straight. I hope she makes it.

I can't believe that Nicole Castrale is so far up there.

Note: This thread is 5330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!