IGNORED

How often do you birdie a hole?

wrx_junki
Note: This thread is 5374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you birde a hole?

• Every round.
    • Every 2-3 rounds.
    • Every 4-6 rounds.
    • Every 7-10 rounds.
    • Once in a blue moon.
    • Haven't gotten my first birdie.

My Math skills probably are not very good....
But it sure seems like there are a lot of single digit handicappers on this forum who only get 1 birdie on average a round. You must have to be a PAR making machine to maintain a single digit handicap without birdies!
Sure wish I kept hole by hole stats for my season....
BTW I play occassionally with a 74 year old who is still a single digit handicapper and SAVES scoring card from every round and has for over a decade. Totally amazing to hear him re-tell his shots after a round,
of course he has fewer shots to remember !
PS. Can you tell it rained here today... I've made about 5 posts to forum.

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Sounds like you should get a copy of

Scorecard . I birdie about 1.5 per round for the year, and my handicap's been as low as 1.3 this year. But if the course rating is above par, and the slope is high, you can shoot a few over par and still only need one or two birdies to get you back to 74 or 75 or so and to get to a pretty low handicap. And yeah, I tend to get a lot of pars - about 12 per round on average.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually make 1-4 birdies per round...unfortunately though there seems to be a positive correlation between the numbers of birdies I make and the number of bogeys I make. But if I make only 1 birdie in a round I usually make only a few bogeys and lots of pars.

A great (but not really) example of this was when my front 9 went- birdie, birdie, birdie, dbl bogey, par, birdie, bogey, dbl bogey, birdie; 5 birdies, 1 par, 1 bogey and 2 dbl bogeys for a level par front 9. I felt pretty sick after....

In my bag..

Driver: Mighty Big T3, 8°, Grafalloy Prolite 35
Fairway Wood: PT, 13°
Fairway Wood: Seville 15° (in my bag since 1987)Irons: T-Zoid Pro, 3-PWSW: MP-9, 56°LW: Tour Star, 64°Putter: Allied Professional (in my bag since 1989)Ball: ProV1xShoes:

every 2-3 rounds. i usually have days where i'll go on birdie binges and score three or four birdies in a round, then i'll have other days where i'm lucky to just hang onto pars.

But it sure seems like there are a lot of single digit handicappers on this forum who only get 1 birdie on average a round.

I thought this was interesting too. It is encouraging for someone aspiring to be a single-digit player.

I said I make one every 7-10 rounds. On a good day I shoot bogey golf but my scores on each hole are remarkably consistent... lots of bogeys, a few pars, and a few doubles. Tim

Right around 2 per round. Usually both on par 5's, with the occasional birdie on a 4 thrown in. I haven't birdied a par 3 in ages.

HiBore XLS 9.5*
Launcher 15*
Rescue 21*
X-20 Tour 4-PW
CG10 50*, CG12 56*, 60*Pixl L1.8 (8 years and running)

I thought this was interesting too. It is encouraging for someone aspiring to be a single-digit player.

I think a lot of mid/high handicappers think that single digit players are birdie machines. They're not.....at least most of us aren't. What we do well is make plenty of pars, and very few doubles. An average 78 or 79 for me is likely to simply be 1 birdie, 10 pars and 7 bogeys......prob hitting 8 GIR or so. Nothing flashy, but not too much stress either. Even the low single-digit guys tend to get there my making more pars than I do, not necessarily a lot more birdies. You can beat a heck of a lot of golfers by simply hitting most of your greens, 2 putting and moving on.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, it depends what kind of player you are. I am more of a scrappy kind of player, don't hit the ball very far, but when I'm at my best I'm keeping the ball straight. Won't hit too many G.I.R., but as I said, when I'm playing my best I'm usually a good chip away from saving a par, or at worst making a bogey.

To be like a 9 handicap you don't need to make birdies. You just need to make like 4 pars per side, and don't made double and triples. If you make 8 pars, and 10 bogeys, you shoot 10 over par for the day, generally an 80-82. On some courses I play, that plays to like an 8 handicap or sometimes even less.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Today I played the back nine of a hilly course (Tilden) and got two birdies. First one was on a short par 5, second one was a chip-in on a par 4. I shot +10 for the 9 thanks to 3 triple-bogeys. Ai yi yi.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

been on a bit if a tear lately.

Birdied last friday
birdied last night

I went on a 3 month birdie drought. ughh
also missed a 4 foot birdie putt last night, but only by an inch, even repeated the putt after we holed out, missed in the same spot again!

After reading the post from 'David in Forida" I paid a bit more attention to the 2 single digit players in my group. (I'm a 10.8, but still playing to an 11.)
Your were very correct... where they beat the devil out of me is the number of pars they get per round. And they nearly never get a double bogey. Although the handicapping system helps them slightly by not allowing them to take higher than a double. As for me I can still take that occassional 7 on a par three! Perfect example was the past weekend neither single digit handicapper had birdie, but I won a skin when 1 of 2 birdies held up. Yet I shot 82 to their 72 and 74.
Truth be told...
I still want to be that single digit handicapper,
who shoots his age when in his 70's !!!

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

This is indeed a reassuring thread. Birdies are not so easy to come by it seems, even for the low 'cappers. Maybe it's just a trick of the memory (i.e. more psychological than real) but in the past year, as my score has dropped a few and I'm definitely getting more pars, I seem to be getting fewer birdies as well. At any rate it's 1 every 2 or 3 holes now. I'm getting a lot more birdie attempts tho'.

Hmmmm, maybe that's it: I feel like I SHOULD be sinking more for birdie, ergo I feel like I'm getting fewer birds.

The mind is such a sad thing to waste ............

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

about once every four rounds

It only took six days,

a spiffy uphill 33 footer on a par 5

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

I get at least 2 every round. Usually one on a par 5 and another on a par 4. It's never less than two, and usually never more than 6.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

im a pretty consistent golfer
i maybe only get a birdie every couple rounds

i can shoot close to my hcp w just a bunch of pars
my goal each round is no 3 putts and no double bogey's
if i accomplish this, im usually mid to high 70's

i guess im kinda boring to golf with
driver, short iron in, 2 putts and par! hahah!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Note: This thread is 5374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!