IGNORED

What would the PGA tour look like without Tiger??

juanrjackson
Note: This thread is 5364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A lot like it looked in the 80s and 90s. Less prize money, smaller crowds, probably no FedEx cup but with some standout events, including that one in Arizona that gets the huge crowds. John Deere Classic would become more important. Events would not be measured solely on whether Tiger was playing or not.

Probably more fat guys doing reasonably well.

It would probably - certainly, really - be less interesting to the casual fan, so TV coverage would drop - unless we had someone else with charisma. Like Seve Ballesteros, Norman, Nicklaus, Trevino, Palmer, Rodriguez.

Hey, maybe golf was quite interesting before Tiger came along??!!

The European Tour would regain stature, even in American eyes.

There may be a need to build a proper 'World Tour', with, maybe, 10-12 events, as suggested by Greg Norman.

Maybe the LPGA tour would attract more attention than it does now.

what would the PGA tour look like if Tiger never existed?

I know we are all talking what if, and Tiger has brought a lot more money to the game, but I don't think we would see less golf. In 1985 there were 43 events, however the largest winners take was $100,000. To some extent Tiger has out priced some sponsors.

I was unable to find how many of the 43 events were on TV but I know many more then just the 4 majors. CBS has carried more the 20 events since the early 80's, and I would have to believe that would still be the case, even on a Tigerless tour.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Close to what the European Tour is today.

Still good golf, still TV coverage.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

In my opinion, you can compare Tiger and Lebron for their respective sports. Both are the "Kings" of their sport. They have also helped to revitalize their respective league/tour. However, even without Lebron there is still Kobe, Dwayne Wade, and the interviews with Shaq to keep us entertained . Just as there are still the proven veterans and new players on the PGA that keep older viewers and gain younger ones as well. Even though they are both perhaps the most dominant player in their sports by a long shot, it would still be competitive and fun to watch without them. Now, would we be missing a person to call ourselves when we dunk on a 7 foot basket or sink a 20 foot putt for birdie and do a little fist pump..? I know I would.

Driver - Sumo 5900 (9.5°) S
3W - 909 F2 (15.5°) X
Hybrid - 4DX Ironwood 3 (20°) S
Irons: 4-PW - Victory Reds Full Cavity S
Wedge - CG14 (56°)Putter - Red X5 35"Ball - e6+Scores with New Bag:95, 83, 86

In my opinion, you can compare Tiger and Lebron for their respective sports. Both are the "Kings" of their sport. They have also helped to revitalize their respective league/tour. However, even without Lebron there is still Kobe, Dwayne Wade, and the interviews with Shaq to keep us entertained

Comparing Tiger to Jordan is more accurate. Both revolutionized their sport in certain ways. Tiger took it to a whole new level though.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Comparing Tiger to Jordan is more accurate. Both revolutionized their sport in certain ways. Tiger took it to a whole new level though.

Tiger took it to a whole new level over MJ? LOL..MJ "INVENTED" that level.

TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

I would compare Jordan and Nicklaus personally. Both of them set the standard as without a doubt the most dominant player in their sport. They set records, won championships, and became the most recognizable person for their sport. Now Tiger and Lebron are hoping to reach their level/have already reached them (depending on how you feel about each athlete).

Driver - Sumo 5900 (9.5°) S
3W - 909 F2 (15.5°) X
Hybrid - 4DX Ironwood 3 (20°) S
Irons: 4-PW - Victory Reds Full Cavity S
Wedge - CG14 (56°)Putter - Red X5 35"Ball - e6+Scores with New Bag:95, 83, 86

If it wasnt Tiger it would only be someone else.. But i think every sport needs someone like Tiger

Tiger has destroyed many careers on the PGA tour, most notably my favorite golfer Els. I believe the landscape would be similar to what it is now, a dominant player, most likely Els or Mick taking advantage of the many tournaments lost to Tiger. Obviously fan participation would be nowhere near where it is today. The impact that would be greater is in the social sphere. Tigers has brought ethnic and economic diversity that has advanced the game immensely. He has encouraged many people who would have never played golf to play enhancing the quality of the game, and turning golf into a sport, rather than a rich mans leisure activity. He has done great things for the game beyond golf, but for some he will be considered as the man who ruined golf, and for many the man who made golf.

I would compare Jordan and Nicklaus personally. Both of them set the standard as without a doubt the most dominant player in their sport. They set records, won championships, and became the most recognizable person for their sport. Now Tiger and Lebron are hoping to reach their level/have already reached them (depending on how you feel about each athlete).

I think Tiger is more comparable to him than Jack. He's arguably the most recognizable person in sports throughout the world just like Jordan was (and still arguably is). The same could NOT be said of Jack.

He's arguably the most recognizable person in sports throughout the world just like Jordan was (and still arguably is).

I'm not sure what Jordan looks like - basketball player? Not a very big sport outside US of.

The same could NOT be said of Jack.

Not sure about that. Jack, Arnie and Gary Player made it into a world game, with rising TV coverage. They played all over the place - not just the UK for the British Open (& World Matchplay in October at Wentworth) but Japan, Australia, etc, etc. I think they were pretty widely recognised - not as much as Tiger, nothing like, but more than Jordan, I would hazard a guess.

Seems to me, I remember watching tour events, both in person and on tv before Tiger.

Hard to believe, huh?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In my opinion, you can compare Tiger and Lebron for their respective sports. Both are the "Kings" of their sport. They have also helped to revitalize their respective league/tour. However, even without Lebron there is still Kobe, Dwayne Wade, and the interviews with Shaq to keep us entertained

are you saying that lebron is better than kobe?

i don't think there would be as much drama on the pga tour, and we all know that drama creates ratings. so ratings are higher, and more people are playing golf.

I'm not sure what Jordan looks like - basketball player? Not a very big sport outside US of.

How old are you? Reason I ask is because Jordan was hugely popular back in the 1990's. As popular as Tiger is today. If you were too young to have been around, then it's understandable that you wouldn't know who he is. Here's MJ:

http://mediaoutrage.files.wordpress..../10/jordan.jpg If Tiger is the most clutch golfer to ever live, MJ is probably the most clutch basketball player to ever live. Go to YouTube and search "Jordan clutch" and there's a video that's around 5 minutes long with many of his most clutch moments. Many of these shots were in the playoffs or Finals.

Interesting topic - while Tiger has made the guys on tour a TOn more money than they would without him and he adds a new level of excitement, from a purely golf perspective, the Tour might be more intersting. Rather than have Tiger dominate everything, we would probably have 5 or 6 guys (Phil, Sergio, Els, Harrington, an a couple others) who would have some good battles.

To put Tiger's dominance in perspective, I think Phil said it best when he said "Look, if I won 10 more majors and 35 more tournaments in my career, I STILL wouldn't be where Tiger is at today."

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Interesting topic - while Tiger has made the guys on tour a TOn more money than they would without him and he adds a new level of excitement, from a purely golf perspective, the Tour might be more intersting. Rather than have Tiger dominate everything, we would probably have 5 or 6 guys (Phil, Sergio, Els, Harrington, an a couple others) who would have some good battles.

Yep, Phil would probably have 2-3 more majors, Ernie would probably have 3 more (no one has suffered more at the hands of Tiger than Ernie), and Sergio would have the 1999 PGA. Anyone think he wouldn't have built on that to win a bunch more?

Tiger has to be the only guy who you're watching and just fall out of your seat laughing in disbelief as he makes clutch shot after clutch shot.

I remember a couple weeks ago at Buick he had a long putt from the fringe and needed it. You just *knew* he was going to make it. And of course he made the stroke and it went in, you got the fist pump and still couldn't believe it even though you knew it was going to go.

And don't get me started on that 8-iron last week.

Other guys make these shot but you have to fish for them. Tiger makes these shots a lot.

Everyone loves a winner and this is why everyone loves Tiger. I have to admit, if I could watch 1 guy it would be him. And why not?

Note: This thread is 5364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!