IGNORED

Top 10 Golfing No-Nos

Note: This thread is 5107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see a couple of folks saying a club brush is a must?

I've watched a several live tournaments and plenty on TV, and I've yet to see a caddie use a club brush - normally it's a towel job? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

If caddies, people who clean clubs as part of their job, can live without a club brush...
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh but they dont really care about preserving those clubs life, when great clubs to us is better than gold

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Good golfers are good athletes.

I disagree... here is why...

John Daly http://media.worldgolf.com/wg_blog_m.../dalybelly.jpg Lefty http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/b..._mickelson.jpg Angel Jimenez http://images.sportinglife.com/07/11...nez_597679.jpg They sure look like athletes to me.
Driver - Sumo 5900 (9.5°) S
3W - 909 F2 (15.5°) X
Hybrid - 4DX Ironwood 3 (20°) S
Irons: 4-PW - Victory Reds Full Cavity S
Wedge - CG14 (56°)Putter - Red X5 35"Ball - e6+Scores with New Bag:95, 83, 86

a casual weekend round in the mid 90's, I'm not wearing pants.

yeah no kidding... it was 97 Monday when I played and I'll be damned if I'm not wearing shorts and a moisture wicking polo... especially since I often walk in 90+.

Agree with all but that one. I have a brush - how else should I quickly and effectively clean my clubs?

yeah... I like the little plastic brush I have clipped to my bag to facilitate cleaning the grooves.

No shorts? Good golfers are good athletes. Good athletes have athletic builds. Maybe shorts are no good for your chicken legs, but shorts are not something a serious golfer would object to.

good point... my wife says I have great legs... of course she also says I have a nice ass, but I'm not wearing anything with a back door anytime soon.

Also, I have black gloves, but they are my rain gloves... does that count? I am really suprised no one has mentioned a few other key things "real" golfers don't use (and I'm sure this will offend some)... 1) Iron Covers 2) Staff Bags (unless you have a full time caddie) 3) The Hammer 4) A Chipper (you know the little putter-like chipping thing) 5) Clubs by all one company
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I see a couple of folks saying a club brush is a must?

If I was a full time caddy carrying a staff bag, I wouldn't haul any accessories either. I've caddied in tournaments before and it's not rocket science. You have all the time in the world to put a fine spit polish on each club - it's very rewarding.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Also, I have black gloves, but they are my rain gloves... does that count?

Black rain / winter gloves are ok, you can be let off with a warning! lol

You raise some other valid items though - the hammer is a classic! The stand bag and clubs all by one company would be acceptable only if the company in question gave them to you free of charge ...this would be a no brainer - unless of course it was a full set of Hammer clubs / Hammer tour bag!
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

I disagree... here is why...

You forgot the Stadler family

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood

A list of items serious golfers wouldn't be seen dead with. Some of this is sure to upset a few folks, but chill folks, it's tongue in cheek

Shorts
Golf isn't tennis and most golfers' legs aren't like Pete Sampas'. So cover them up please!

Horsefeathers!!! Even Tiger wears them when he's not on tour. This is just silly.

Towel Clipped to Belt
Just wrong. Like wearing a sporren without a kilt.

Never seen it so it's irrelevant.

Novlety Ian Poulter Headcover
Why? One of the man is enough for most. Bet Monty hasn't got one.

Agree

Score Clicker
If you can't remember how many shots you've played, should you be playing at all?

Absolutely!

Sponge Ball cleaner / Club Brush
Too many things dangling from your bag destroys all credibility. What's wrong with a towel?

A towel doesn't properly clean the grooves in my Vokey's.

Black Golf Glove
You're not Billy Idol, so don't do it!

Never wear a glove, don't care what others wear.

Coloured Golf Balls
Another item only ever likely to boost the confidence of opponents

I use white, for others... no preference

Ball Monogrammer
Why spend hours stamping your initials on your ball with a nut-cracker when you're going to lose it within milliseconds?

Yes, definitely

Ball Retreiver
Sends out alal the wrong messages about your golfing prowess to any opponent

Disagree. I've carried the same one for more than 20 years. I don't "fish", but I do save a lot of money by retrieving my errant shots.

Plastic castle / Fixed Height Tees
How are you supposed to vary tee height as and when conditions dictate with these fixed-height puppies?

Strongly agree

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A little groove cleaner is fine!
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

65 degrees and over = shorts
under 65 = pants

I have chicken legs and don't care what others think about it, I don't swing that way. I don't know any guys that check out other mens legs and comment about them....

Gotta agree with those that say shorts need to come off the list. Some of us have the legs for it......and it gets too damn hot in long pants in the summer down south......

Replace shorts with iron covers and you're pretty much there!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gotta agree with those that say shorts need to come off the list. Some of us have the legs for it......and it gets too damn hot in long pants in the summer down south......

Agree completely. Iron covers FTL! I play forged clubs that nick easily and don't use them. I say add golf carts. I NEVER use one unless they are absolutely mandatory at the course. I have walked very hilly courses in 95 degree, near 100 percent humidity. I'm in great shape, but we all could use the exercise. The day I have to ride a cart because I'm too fat is the day I quit. Period.

Also, nothing wrong with shorts. I already have a golfer's tan on my arms; I don't need white legs too. U.S. Amateur allows shorts. I'm not a PGA Tour pro for crying out loud. Now, denim shorts, that's a different story. Anyone who owns a pair of those should be shot, point blank.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

A little groove cleaner is fine!

In New Jersey, we call that a switch blade.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Those tacky hats with the cord attached to the base of the bill . They usually have something stupid printed on them like " LBI sailing champion". If i see you wearing one of those, im going to crack my 7 iron over your skull. Go in the pro-shop and get a Ping hat or something!

Cigars . If you aint got the game, dont roll up to the tee box with a cigar hanging out of your mouth. That just turns you from a regular ole golfer into a douchebag.

Ball retrievers on the end of your putter . Unless youre old enough to play the gold tees, if you have one of these on your putter you maybe more lasy than the guy than invented the drinking straw.

Iron head covers . Probably already been mentioned..but com'on...really? Why do you feel the need to protect something youre going to slam into the dirt 50 times a round?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

[QUOTE=Kingfisher;352708]
Novlety Ian Poulter Headcover
Why? One of the man is enough for most. Bet Monty hasn't got one./QUOTE]

I believe I've seen a Monty / Mrs. Doubtfire headcover where the skirt covers the club.

Those tacky hats with the cord attached to the base of the bill

Maybe because slamming them into the dirt is a little different than having my $700 clubs constantly banging off each other as I walk 18. What would iron covers by a no-no while wood covers seem to be ok? The constant clanking would drive me nuts also.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

Walking does very, very little to damage irons, in my opinion - even forged irons. My irons are 13 years old or so and they look better than 99% of any similar sets I have seen on ebay.

Cart riding is far more harmful for irons. But then, I'm of the opinion that carts are for the disabled, obese, or alcoholics that have to have a case with them every time they golf. I actually find the tad bit of clicking that I hear from my irons as I walk to be quite soothing. It has a nice cadence to it. When woods clang, they tink and the paint chips very easily.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

In New Jersey, we call that a switch blade.

In Iowa, it's a tee.

Driver: Hi Bore XLS Monster 9.5º Fujikura Gold Fit-On Stiff

3 wood: Hi Bore XLS 15º Fujikura Gold Fit-On Stiff

Irons: i10 3 - PW Dynamic Gold S300Wedges: Vokey 200 Series - 50º, 54º, 58ºPutter: Abaco 33"Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 5107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!