IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

Originally Posted by WUTiger

My TPI swing and fitness analysis last summer included a diagnostic lesson from a PGA pro (pro A for this post). Pro A uses Stack & Tilt himself, and teaches it to a majority of his students.

I have the Golf Digest Six Steps to Stack & Tilt from 2010. On video my swing looks similar to Stack & Tilt, except I need work on Step 3: Hands In, and Step 6: Butt Forward. I like the efficiency of the "weight forward" setup.

I was pretty sure I wanted to commit to Stack & Tilt, until...

I met Pro B at a January Golf Expo. He gave me a complementary lesson in February, and was able to point out two subtle swing flaws that were hurting my consistency. He seems to be pretty savvy in comparing swing systems. He's aware of the basics of Stack & Tilt, but fears it would lead to "reverse pivot" problems for many golfers.

So, how much danger is there of "reverse pivot" creeping into a Stack & Tilt swing? If RP is a potential problem, what should an S&T; player do to prevent it?

I'll likely go with S&T; if I can resolve this RP issue.

A reverse pivot would be the weight moving back, away from the target on the downswing.  S&T; is centered on the backswing and weight moves forward on the downswing.  IMO actually tough to have a reverse pivot, even the poorest players have some weight forward.  Good thread for you to check out http://thesandtrap.com/t/45926/right-and-wrong-weight-shift-in-s-t

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of the main aspects of S&T; is to prevent weight from being too far back. Anyone who thinks it will lead to a reverse pivot obviously don't know a lot about the system. It can of course happen, but not more so than with other teaching methods. I would claim that the chance of a reverse pivot is far less with S&T; than the more "traditional" ways to teach the swing. If anything, there is a larger risk that you get body parts moving too far forward.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Zeph

One of the main aspects of S&T; is to prevent weight from being too far back. Anyone who thinks it will lead to a reverse pivot obviously don't know a lot about the system. It can of course happen, but not more so than with other teaching methods. I would claim that the chance of a reverse pivot is far less with S&T; than the more "traditional" ways to teach the swing.

If anything, there is a larger risk that you get body parts moving too far forward.

Yes. I'd seriously question "Pro B" who seems to believe that you actually move your weight forward (likely because he doesn't understand with the left tilt) on the backswing.

Weight stays centered, then moves forward.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wish me luck! going this afternoon to play my first 9 trying S&T.; Never have had a proper swing, so hoping this will help me hack less..will report back after my 1/2 round.

Felt really good! I made much better contact, much more consistent. Still duffed a few, but I am still trying to self learn this.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I started with the book, look at stackandtiltgolfswing.com, look at vids posted here, and go to youtube to find Bennett and Plummer -- but read the book several times. You pick up more detail each time as you read and do, read and do.

I started the book and I gotta it is renewing my interest in trying S&T; again (more seriously this time).

I realize now that there is a lot of stuff I did wrong last time.

Originally Posted by I-league

I started the book and I gotta it is renewing my interest in trying S&T; again (more seriously this time).

Keep at it. It took me two tries and a year or two in between before I believed in it. Take my advice and sign up for lessons with Evolvr to really help you get the most out of it. You won't regret it.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by I-league

I would recommend keeping it simple.  Read it and learn but don't try to change everything you do.  I guarantee you already have S&T; "pieces" in your swing.  Figure out what your priority is and go from there.  "Priorities and Drills" and "Fixing Common Faults" are good chapters to help you with that.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Keep at it. It took me two tries and a year or two in between before I believed in it. Take my advice and sign up for lessons with Evolvr to really help you get the most out of it. You won't regret it.

Thanks!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I had an encouraging session at the range today.

I am half way through the S&T; book. Today I focused mainly on "weight forward" and "shoulder down" and got good results. I hit a lot of good shots and was drawing the ball nicely. More importantly I was consistent and had very few mishits.

When I tried to make it a bit more complicated (adding "hands in", focusing on spine tilt and hip slides) I became a lot less consistent.

I'm gonna continue with the book and try to really understand it. On the range/course though I think I am gonna take it really slow and keep it simple as recomended above.

Over the weekend I had by far the best range session of my life and it's all because of Stack and Tilt. I'm not yet able to draw the ball with my irons, but I was hitting the ball straight and I'll take that to the course anytime. I was hitting baby draws with my driver but only after I closed the face. (I have an adjustable driver) Before I closed the face I was hitting straight shots with the occasional push. One thing I found interesting is that I noticed I got really crisp ball first contact playing all my irons in the middle of my stance. Everything from wedges down to 5 iron. Before I played my 5,6, and 7 irons 2 balls ahead of center and I would strike the ground first just a tad. I don't know if this was just a one day thing or if I should continue to play the ball like that for my irons but only time will tell. But Im sold on Stack and Tilt!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

am i the only one that thinks this swing method is tough.....i have a hard time with keeping my weight on the left, the shoulder turn and when i keep arms on the body i cut across it.....am i just missing the whole idea and need to read the book again?

Originally Posted by outlaw1984

am i the only one that thinks this swing method is tough.....i have a hard time with keeping my weight on the left, the shoulder turn and when i keep arms on the body i cut across it.....am i just missing the whole idea and need to read the book again?

Have you had a look at your swing on video?

You might feel like you're making the moves as per the book, but chances are you're not and a video is a good way to see what you're actually doing, rather than what you feel you're doing.

I use an interlocking grip, and tend to be a bit on the firmer side.  I tried the "bird in the hand" thing, it wasn't enough.  The closest thing I can relate my grip pressure to, is picking up my travel mug full of coffee (with three fingers).  Enough to keep it from slipping, but not enough to lock the wrist.  I also swing hard though, so it's probably why I hold on a little tighter.

Originally Posted by outlaw1984

can someone help me with grip pressure, how hard should i hold the club?

As hard as you hold an axe when chopping down a tree.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

can someone help me with grip pressure, how hard should i hold the club?

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54965/grip-pressure [QUOTE]If you guessed that most amateurs grip the club too tight, you couldn't be more wrong. Most amateurs grip the club far too loosely.[/QUOTE]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Recently, I have begun working on a Stack and Tilt swing by reading the book and trying to follow what it says.  One issue I am having is that I seem to hit the ball to the right.  My contact is starting to feel nice but the ball starts out to the right immediately and then sometimes continues or it will start to slice from there. I do occasionally hit it where I am aiming.

Any ideas as to what I could be doing to cause this with the Stack and Tilt?

Thanks!