IGNORED

Tiger throws driver into gallery in disgust....

mn723
Note: This thread is 5252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He should be fined or reprimanded. He could have taken an eye out. When a player carelessly crosses the [sometimes imaginary] line that protects spectators from the action there are typically repercussions. We'll see what, if anything, comes out of Tiger's antics - but I think equating them to a common assualt (with a golf club?) on the street is bit of a stretch.

Oh you're right. Ice Hockey for one. Im not a fan of the sport, but on the occaision that I watch a few minutes, they are most always beating the crap outta one another.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three comments:

1. Genius: from the latin GENIUS, it is said of a person with extraordinary intelligence or skill. Also said of someone with extraordinary mental capacity.

In some latin-derived languages (Spanish, for example...) the term has also been adopted to describe people with bad tempers, who throw temper tantrums or who generally have an aggressive overpowering personality... ("genio" in Spanish).

So genius goes hand in hand with temper tantrums... naturally. Picasso had terrible tantrums, so did Bethoven, McEnroe, Maradona... even Jordan has been known to throw a few tantrums... all genius in their time...

2. Did Tiger get his driver back? With all said in point one, if that driver comes near me, he does not get it back. I assure you of that.

3. Although I don´t condone those actions.... give me a break... put Tiger´s actions as a whole in the balance... no one, not even The Bear, has done so much for this sport...

Please don´t swing while I´m talking !!

Oh you're right. Ice Hockey for one. Im not a fan of the sport, but on the occaision that I watch a few minutes, they are most always beating the crap outta one another.

Actually, it's just called, "hockey". If you use the term "hockey" in North Americal not too many people would immediately think of field hockey.

"Where are you going dear." "I have an ice hockey match with the guys" "Well if ice hockey season has begun, you won't mind me putting your grass golfing sticks in the basement while you're gone!"

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Actually, it's just called, "hockey". If you use the term "hockey" in North Americal not too many people would immediately think of field hockey.

well, i had daughters that played hockey for a few years. I don't really appreciate either version. Could never get my head around it.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

Here are a few such times:

On further review, it looks like this may be an April Fool's joke, so - nevermind - sort of. But here's another instance where Tiger willingly accepts the marketing benefits of being held up as a "goodwill ambassador."

"Consistent with the program values, these three ambassadors were selected not only for their sporting accomplishments, but also for their behaviour away from the game. They are as much champions in their personal lives as they are in their sports." http://www.ameinfo.com/109786.html To me it's putting on blinders to say that one can accept all the benefits. but none of the implied responsibilites, of being a sports icon, and to not recognize that kids notice and imitate. Of course parents still have the ultimate responsibility, but no parent I know can monitor all the things his kids sees or hears to "correct" all the wrong impressions. What's exasperating to me is that I don't think TW is the sort of person who would defend what he's doing.

Actually, it's called "ice hockey"

Not everyone who visits this site is from North America, you know. Americans call hockey "field hockey".

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

To me it's putting on blinders to say that one can accept all the benefits. but none of the implied responsibilites, of being a sports icon

As a parent it's my job to instill the mindset in my children that being the best golfer in the world is exactly that and only that. My children are held to a higher standard than their vertical leap or 40 time.

I just disagree that Sports Icons are role models in things outside their scope of expertise. I agree with Sir Charles. Now that's not to say one should ignore the positives exhibited by icons if they're positive. Humanitarian deeds undertaken by pro athletes are positive because they're good human beings in as much as that's the same of a non-athlete. John Smith the Philanthropist from Americaville,USA should be just as much an icon and role model to your children as the founder of the Tiger Woods Foundation.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

Maybe our star athletes aren't supposed to be role models but just go to a junior golf tournament and watch some kid hit an errant shot and slam his club into his bag and break a shaft. Tell me, is that just natural or did he see it somewhere? Kids mimic their heroes and I'm sure fairly soon I'll see a kid fling a club just like Tiger did. This past year at a high school match I witnessed a kid take a big number on a hole and then drop his ball and then swing his putter hard at it, flying off the green and almost hitting my wife. Sorry, but these superstars need to be better examples for our youth and for us.

or their parents need to beat them with a wooden paddle until they beg to stand in the corner instead of sit ..

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

Maybe our star athletes aren't supposed to be role models but just go to a junior golf tournament and watch some kid hit an errant shot and slam his club into his bag and break a shaft. Tell me, is that just natural or did he see it somewhere? Kids mimic their heroes and I'm sure fairly soon I'll see a kid fling a club just like Tiger did. This past year at a high school match I witnessed a kid take a big number on a hole and then drop his ball and then swing his putter hard at it, flying off the green and almost hitting my wife. Sorry, but these superstars need to be better examples for our youth and for us.

Maybe they just got pissed off at hitting a bad shot?

I don't think it's any of the pro's fault.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

or their parents need to beat them with a wooden paddle until they beg to stand in the corner instead of sit ..

i have seen my share of junior golfers behaving like mad men or women. i can almost forgive other kids throwing clubs into their bags or slamming them into the bag, but i just cannot stand it when they slam putters into the green if they miss a putt. there are definitely dents. as a spectator, i wish i have bigger balls one day to report them, but the softer side of me always prompt me to stay out of it since those kids have their own parents watching and i think it is their job,,,perhaps one day those kids will learn a bigger lesson from an official at a crucial moment of a crucial tourny, a lesson not given by their parents. i think most kids if not all kids know full well that bad behavior on the course is bad. the issue is impulse control and the discipline to control the animalistic urges. i am not sure if idols like tiger bear that much responsibility in that department. his ratio of merits/regrettable moments must be 99:1. i think the bottom line is that responsible parents may want to make use of the tiger incident to make yet another point to the kids on how to carry themselves when they are really upset or disappointed. i cannot think of a better format other than golf to instill some necessary life lessons, to turn negative situations into posititive. and the saving grace is that in golf, those with bad tempers rarely do well,,,:)

Actually, it's called "ice hockey"

no we dont. unless our kid plays "field hockey", then the concept of "field hockey" doesnt enter the consciousness of the average american. the mention of the word "hockey" means "ice hockey" but the "ice" is unnecessary and redundant. BTW i hate hockey.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

no we dont. unless our kid plays "field hockey", then the concept of "field hockey" doesnt enter the consciousness of the average american. the mention of the word "hockey" means "ice hockey" but the "ice" is unnecessary and redundant.

Well said (sorry about your hatred of it though). I mean, you don't have to say "lawn tennis" to know that someone talking about playing tennis isn't referring to "table tennis" (aka ping pong).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

but Bobby Jones did, so did Ben Hogan.

Bobby Jones grew out of it, when he was still very young. He must have done because he retired when he was 28...

I'm not aware of Hogan throwing clubs - he was renowned as the 'wee ice man', apparently devoid of any emotion on the course.

Three comments:

Spanish also has a lot of arabic-derived words. 'Genio' may well be derived from 'djinn', a mischievous or angry spirit.

This is why I play solo I can throw anything I want any time nobody cares. In fact an errant golf ball goes further and faster so is more likely to hit somebody than a slow moving club I can throw maybe 40 yards.

But in a golf tournament ? Inexcusable !!

Agreed. Sadly, Tim Finchem isn't going to do anything of consequence about this. He's scared witless that Woods will take the cream of the tour and start his own tour or cancel a bunch of appearances. Stars of the past like Nicklaus and Palmer may say a few things in private, but they have their own tournaments they want Tiger to show up at, so they won't be saying anything publicly on the subject. Meanwhile, I'm so tired of the antics ... the 'how could I hit it that bad' shot that lands on the green, the left handed club swing after missing a drive ... not to mention the club slamming and throwing.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I threatened my kids with substantial punishment if I ever saw or heard that they threw a club. That said, they both caddy at another golf course. They both mentioned that the reason they would never ever throw a club is how disgusted they are when they witnessed a grown man doing it. Funny how things differ from club to club. I've never seen anyone throw a club at my club and even smacking the ground with the club doesn't happen too often with the guys I play with. I did hear that someone actually whipped his club during a tournament. He has been 'exiled' for lack of a better word and immediately lost his regular game. I'm sure he's gotten the message loud and clear.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Note: This thread is 5252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!