IGNORED

What does golf do for you?

shaank0
Note: This thread is 5237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play golf because I have to have a hobby. I don't get much personal satisfaction out of my job/career but it pays the bills and supports my family. I got decent pretty quick (I worked super hard at it) and enjoyed getting better.

I love walking and being outside. I love when I pull off tough shots or hit amazing ones. Now I am less into golf than I was. I don't have the time and improvement seems almost impossible with the limited time I can put into it.

If I don't get better and get to the point to where I can compete with confidence I will find another hobby. If I can't play well I don't want to play. But my son is almost golf age and the way things are looking for my family, I will be able to join a club very close to my house in 2011 or 12. If that happens I will have the time and means to improve. If my son doesn't have interest (every indication is that he does already and he is 3) that will pull me away from the game.

I rode dirt bikes in HS and late teens and that might be a replacement. They are rockets and alot of fun to ride.

Brian

I don't know about everyone else but I started with nothing, worked hard, built a business, made some money, got the golf bug, joined a club and now can't play enough...it seems to me you need to get your life in order before golf matters or is even on the radar.

I believe my life is in order as much as it can be =). The thought of failure is in my mind from every now and then just because school is so hard but, failure is not an option. I work hard everyday to make sure that doesn't happen by studying and doing what i need to do to make sure i pass. I have a wonderful supporting family which help me in any way i need =).

Bag
Sumo 5900 9.5d
Sumo 3 & 5 Woods Pro launch shafts
Victory Red Split cavity 4-pw
Victory Red Wedges 52/10,56/14/60,10 White hot Putter / Balls

Golf was something that I took up once I graduated from college and secured a job in my field.

It was something that I became involved with to enjoy time of the job with my collegues.

It soon developed into something I enjoyed doing with my father and grandfather....and soon developed into something that I simply loved doing....period.

Now....after all these years I'm still loving the game and my son is now getting into as well.

I spend money on golf after all the bills are paid and savings is secured...then I may flip a club or two...experiment.

One cool thing about golf is that the clothes you need for the game can double as casual wear in the real world!!!! I couldn't do that with my hunting gear.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I took up golf almost 2 years ago. The 12th tee is right in front of the gym at our club and I used to see people teeing off all the time, and one day a friend encouraged me to try golf and I got hooked up instantly.

What golf represents to me is a lot. It sometimes represents frustration and failure, and at other times achievement and self-accomplishment. That's why I love it.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

What does golf do for me?

Keeps me from going on a tri-state killling spree.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

hmmm i understand the need to prioritize certain things in life...

Well-said, I completely agree with this. Those posts rubbed me the wrong way, as well.

Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

+1 Getting on a secure career track, and making sure your family is provided for come first. Take care of these, and there will be plenty of time for golf later.

That's a great idea! I'll give up golf until I can nail down that executive level job. My career isn't where I want so I should just give up everything else until it's there...

I get your point, but sometimes golf is medicine. I worked full time while getting my bachelors and masters degrees and came out without debt, yet because of the recession I am still not on the career track I want to be on. If for you golf is a fun sport that you've become addicted to, fine, but consider the throngs of people that work just to make ends meet and need an outlet. People like me aren't playing private clubs. In fact, it costs $7.00 to play 9 holes, but it's the best money I spend every week. It's a lot cheaper than the alternative when you consider circumstances like that of the OP.
In mySasquatch bag:
07 Burner 9.5°
Hibore XLS 3 & 5 woods
735 CM 4-pw
52°, 56°, 60° G2i Craz-e C

I picked up golf at age 30 and have been playing for nearly five years now. I am a musician and a music teacher, and learning golf has been incredibly similar to learning to play my instrument.

Golf has taught me greater patience and reinforced my perseverence traits. It has taught me to control my anger, work through adversity, and accept failure.

The addiction comes from experiencing the incredible highs of those great shots: chipping in for par when you were expecting a double; a near ace; sinking a 35-foot breaking putt for birdie in a tournament. (Of course, when you're me, those high moments are few and far between, but that's what keeps me coming back.)

I guess, in addition to all of the boilerplate reasons for playing, (i.e. peace, escape, challenge, man-time, etc.) golf gives me a chance to be a student again, and I love learning.

In my C-130 bag:

Driver: G10 10.5*
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: G10 steel AWT shafts, silver dot, +1" (3-SW)Wedge: cg12 58*Putters: Squareback 2, California Coronado Low score (18 holes): 90Low score (9 holes): 42

Man, get off the OP’s back. I say with all the curve balls life has thrown at him, he has his priorities SPOT ON to persevere and do what it takes to provide for his family. If an occasional round of golf is his one outlet so be it. Seeing he’s in Michigan, there is quite a stretch of winter where he doesn’t get to play at all.
I don’t get out often but it’s a welcome relief to brake away and be outside walking in the fresh air and doing a sport I love. If family responsibilities just become a relentless burden all sorts of resentment and other bad emotions are going to build up, which is no good for anyone. I say good for him and kudos for picking himself up by the bootstraps and completely reworking his livelihood and for being a loving, responsible father and husband.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I play golf as an avenue to compete. I played baseball from babe ruth through college, so after i graduated and there was no more baseball, a huge void delveloped in my life. I needed to remain competitive at something so i picked up golf and took to the game very quickly.

Same here. After playing baseball throughout Little League and high school, I had a huge void in my life when I moved onto college. When the weather is good, I try to play 1-2 times a week.

I have a never ending urge to compete, so golf is perfect because I can compete against myself. I don't need to find 17 other people to put together a baseball scrimmage.

In my Adidas Velocity stand bag:
Redline RPM 430Q 8.5
Insight BUL 3 Wood
idea a2 3 iWood Hybrid
CCi 4-AW Cast Irons Black Max Anser Putter D2 Feel

Social game, maintains an awareness of flexability, drains my spare hobby money, provides a nice challenge is family fun.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

A lot. All of my kids like it, my oldest boy loves it and is pretty good.

Like playing leagues also. Nothing like the perfect drive, or nice wedge shot that checks up 2 feet from the hole.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I really cant wait till my son is old enough to play. he's 16 months right now and im already trying to get him a set of clubs small enough for him haha. I am also hoping to join a league next year especially since my membership covers green fees. I just don't know if i will be able to because of school schedule.

Bag
Sumo 5900 9.5d
Sumo 3 & 5 Woods Pro launch shafts
Victory Red Split cavity 4-pw
Victory Red Wedges 52/10,56/14/60,10 White hot Putter / Balls

I really cant wait till my son is old enough to play. he's 16 months right now and im already trying to get him a set of clubs small enough for him haha.

Always give him a good lie, and aim him always towards the fairway. Early years will always include picking up and "let's hit it where Dad's ball is at".

A little time at the range and cure them from a crosshanded grip they all almost always start out with...you might be suprised how soon they are hitting it well. Line them up on the green and give them plenty of easy putts! My youngest (my 5 year old daughter) is actually getting a little air on the ball...it's like the man landed on the moon to her...Dad! did you see that one!! And besides being the greatest time of your life, it will actually improve your game........when some one says...sorry man...I unzipped my glove while you were putting....big deal if you have played with 4 of your kids for a round...you become immune to distractions! No Joke!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I believe my life is in order as much as it can be =). The thought of failure is in my mind from every now and then just because school is so hard but, failure is not an option. I work hard everyday to make sure that doesn't happen by studying and doing what i need to do to make sure i pass.

Sounds like your working hard at providing for your families future and that's all you can hope for, the cards will fall where they may. Many of us have been in your situation and it's a tough time but hang in there and life does get better. In 1996 I left the military to start a new career which required I go back to college to finish my degree. I was newly married and my wife worked two jobs while I went to school +20 credit hours per semester. I got a job at the college tutoring Electrical Engineering which basically payed for gas and meals there. So money was beyond tight for a few years and I put aside my golf game longer than I expected. At the time I quit playing I was a scratch player and competed in many state and local events. I didn't play again until 1999 and that was just a couple times with my brother. I didn't go back to golf on a regular basis until 2004 when I joined the course that I'm still currently a member. When I started playing regularly I was at about a 7 Handicap and it's been a long hard road to get back even close to scratch these last 5 years. Hindsight I don't regret puting aside golf for all those years because it enabled me to provide an excellent life for my family beyond what I ever expected. If I had to do it again(hopefully I will never have to,,,lol) though, I probably would have at least gone to the range once a week in the summer to at least keep my swing going. So my advice is as long as it's not taking away from your families needs and your not spending all your free time on it, then try to get out on the course or range once a week. Good Luck, and Best Wishes for your family!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Note: This thread is 5237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!