IGNORED

Is Pebble Beach Worth $495 (or $550 in 2019)?

neophyte
Note: This thread is 1597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is Pebble Beach Worth $495

• Yes
    • No

Incorrect assumption. Most of the passionate golfers i know make less than that. I just barley make that much and i play 40+ rounds a year. I actually think most golfers are just normal day to day folk who find the time and the money to play. But im only 31 so it could be all relative.

I have been told by people who have played Pine Valley that it is the greatest place in the world...i have been told by others it is the most over rated course ever. Sadly i can't give you an opinion yet but someday I will be able to!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I have been told by people who have played Pine Valley that it is the greatest place in the world...i have been told by others it is the most over rated course ever. Sadly i can't give you an opinion yet but someday I will be able to!!

Ive walked it during the crump cup. My instructor has played it at least 15 times and told me about the shots that you have to hit. I think its a perfect blend of challenge, beauty, and superior course conditions.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Think of it this way, there are many people on this forum that probably spend $500 or more each year on new golf gear. I'm willing to bet some of them don't see much if any "return" on their investment in the way of game improvement. Now, how much more would you remember that round at Pebble versus the newest 2010 driver and wedges you bought 20 years from now?

Unfortunately, for all practical purposes, most people won't want to just golf Pebble; they'd want to include, Spyglass, Poppy, etc. Throw in lodging, dining, caddies, and you're talking north of $1,500. That being said, I will one day take my dad to Pebble. Mark my word.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

To answer the question....yes. Course is booked months in advance so it has to be. If it was not worth it they would not be able to fill the tee times. Thats the bottom line answer. It may not be worth it to everyone but they don't price it for everyone. When they quit filling tee times the price will come down of remain the same, until then thats the going rate!

I just booked a trip to Pebble. We are playing Pasatiempo, Pebble, Spy Glass, Spanish Bay, and Corde Valle. The total trip with airfare, lodging, rental car, etc.....is $3200. Only additional costs will be food and drink, and caddie fees. Its going to be a great trip with 7 great friends.

909 D3 with Diamana White X
909 F3 15degree with Aldila Vodoo
ZM Forged 2-PW
Voley 56 and 60
Studio Newport 1.5 PRo V1X

The total trip with airfare, lodging, rental car, etc.....is $3200. Only additional costs will be food and drink, and caddie fees. Its going to be a great trip with 7 great friends.

you still be married when u get home?

To answer the question....yes. Course is booked months in advance so it has to be. If it was not worth it they would not be able to fill the tee times. Thats the bottom line answer. It may not be worth it to everyone but they don't price it for everyone. When they quit filling tee times the price will come down of remain the same, until then thats the going rate!

i need 7 friends like you!!

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

HELL to the NO!

In my TMX stand bag:

R580XD 10.5* Stiff
'07 Burner 5 Wood 18*
'09 Burner Rescue Hybrid #3 19* Stiff 3dx Ironwood #4 Stiff Idea Tech OS 5-PW Vokey SM 52*-08 CG11 SM 58*-08 White Hot XG #2 33.5"

I've been saying that as soon as I break 90 I'm going to celebrate by a round at Pebble. Maybe that's a bit too unrealistic though. What's a reasonable handicap to play there without embarrassing yourself?

Pebble Beach is one of THE courses for anybody other than pro to experience at least once. But I don't I'd pay 500 smackaroos for 18 holes of golf. As far as being or not being embarrassed is a totally different question. If I couldn't break par and shoot at the VERY least -1 I wouldn't play. IMO. But if it's one of those things you'd like to do before you go upstairs and you have the cash then I'm all for it.

In my Nike Xtreme II Bag:
Driver Str8-Fit SQ Dymo2 S
Irons CG Gold 5-PW
Hybrids 3&4 Hibore XLS
Putter Rossa Daytona I Putter Ignite MalletBall ProV1xWedges Glove StaSofShoes Heritage

I don't think its how much you make, but rather how much you owe. There are plenty of people who make less than 250k a year or for that matter less than 100k a year and have 100k in the bank. They live on less than they make. If a person has all his responsibilities taken care of and wants to splurge on a one time deal that won't hurt him, why not. It costs more to live some places than others, etc. etc.

Unless you do make 250k, then most would agree that $495 is too much for a routine round of golf. For most people however, a round at Pebble is not routine, and $495 for a once in a lifetime experience is probably reasonable.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unless you do make 250k, then most would agree that $495 is too much for a routine round of golf. For most people however, a round at Pebble is not routine, and $495 for a once in a lifetime experience is probably reasonable.

ha ha!! a very insightful young man. We are now into the spending and investment habits of the avg american. Plus as we have discussed here unless u live within driving distance of the Monterey Penninsula you have: air fare, hotel, car, food, booze, strippers, hookers, etc and the bill is $3000 not $500.

To go off topic...to make $250K/yr you are either very luckly employed or you're a business owner with huge debt that has enabled you to get to that income level. This is a fun thread!!

ha ha!! a very insightful young man. We are now into the spending and investment habits of the avg american. Plus as we have discussed here unless u live within driving distance of the Monterey Penninsula you have: air fare, hotel, car, food, booze, strippers, hookers, etc and the bill is $3000 not $500.

LOL hard to budget the proper amont of hooker fees for a trip!!

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

you still be married when u get home?

The truth is she is more or less paying for the trip. I'm a school teacher and shes a M.D. I married very well in more ways than one. When the trip was first introduced to me I took the cost to her to see what she thought. I told her total trip was a little over 3k and I received a great answer. "That's not to bad, I thought it would be more." I knew I was in. She really is an awesome woman whom I am very fortunate to know.

I'm pretty sure I would be going on this trip either way.......I wasnt always a school teacher.

909 D3 with Diamana White X
909 F3 15degree with Aldila Vodoo
ZM Forged 2-PW
Voley 56 and 60
Studio Newport 1.5 PRo V1X

The truth is she is more or less paying for the trip. I'm a school teacher and shes a M.D. I married very well in more ways than one. When the trip was first introduced to me I took the cost to her to see what she thought. I told her total trip was a little over 3k and I received a great answer. "That's not to bad, I thought it would be more." I knew I was in. She really is an awesome woman whom I am very fortunate to know.

damn, you're my hero!

you sound like a good friend of mine...he is a teacher because he wants a job!! LOL he couldn't think of anything easier to do with so much time off. He now hates kids!!!! LOL

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Ha, sorry Fatphil, didn't mean to wander off topic so far. I was just trying to put it in perspective. Everyone has different values and situations, and the worth of a particular item to them is not necessarily based on income alone. Your point about the total cost of the trip is well taken. I could save a bit because I don't do booze, hookers, or strippers, but I would probably give it back on food!

I probably won't ever play Pebble because by the time I can afford the airfare, rental car, hotel, and food(and hookers, strippers, and booze, should my values change or my wife leave me) I will be too old to remember which end of the club to hold. Oddly, Golf Digest interviewed a bunch of folks who played in about 2000, (when it cost $300) and as I recall it was about an even split on the worth. So back on topic, would I play $495 to play Pebble regularly-no. If I had the opportunity to do it once, would I pay $495? Absolutely. And 65withatriple is my hero too!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

I was faced with this dilemma in early April last year.  I was in the SFO area for work and decided to take the plunge to head down to to Pebble Beach.   During the trip there I was trying to rationalize the steep cost and second guessing my decision.  I am an avid golfer and enjoy playing the top courses, but always seem to find a deep discount which allows me to do so.  No such luck with Pebble.

I Pricelined a Mercedes from SFO which I too rationalized was part of the experience, deeply discounted, and only a fraction of my upcoming greens fee.  Plus, driving between SFO and Monterrey was an experience in itself.  I Picelined a room at the Del Monte Resort for about $120 which served as a reasonable lodging.

The excitement of driving down 17 mile drive and into Pebble Beach the next morning was magical.  Pebble Beach was virtually a ghost town at 7:30 in the morning, and only had a handful of groups on the tee sheet for the day.   My greatest fear of making this commitment was the unpredictable weather at Pebble, but is was a bright Sunny day, with little wind.  Perfect.

I walked around the grounds before my tee time and took photos, had breakfast at the cafe and enjoyed the scenery.  Just being on the grounds gave me butterflies in my stomach and a constant smile on my face.  I had roughly 24 hours to spend in Pebble, and needed to soak in the sights.

Playing Pebble was quite an experience too.  Playing the course that I have seen on TV countless times brought it into reality.  The walk along the ocean is majestic and is a memory that any serious golfer will treasure.

My caddie was a character as well.  He seemed to know all the history, happenings, and gossip that happens at pebble beach.   That was part of the experience.

My game was rusty from the winter, but I hit enough memorable shots that I won't forget for a long time.  I almost has a hole in one on the #5 Par 3, just missed a birdie put on the famous 90 yard #7 on the point, and hit a 210 yard 4 iron over the cliffs and ocean to 20 feet on #8.  Those are some shots I'll remember for a long time.  Overall I didn't think Pebble was a difficult course.  But, with small greens, this course could play very difficult from the tips with heavy rough and a stiff breeze from the ocean.  Luckily, that was no the case this day.  I finished with an 88, which was a disappointment, but it wasn't about the score this day.

The round at Pebble cost me $720 with rental clubs and a caddie.  The entire experience was probably $1,200 with lodging, car, trinkets, etc.

So, when you ask was it worth I'd say yes, every penny.  I'll remember that day long after wondering where the money went.  You need to put it in perspective.  You are not buying an 18 hole round of golf, you are buying an experience and memory that will last with you for your entire life.  If these are the experiences you value, it is definitely worth the cost of admission.  Run, don't walk, to Pebble Beach and take it in.  If you simply looks at is as a round of golf, its probably not for you.

I've played may top golf courses.  The only other that has created such a memory and leaves butterflies in my stomach is Whistling Straits.  Fortunately, it is half the cost of Pebble, but just as memorable.

DSC01149.JPG

• Upvote 1

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

I played it once several years ago when it was half that price.  I wouldn't pay $500.  It's a great course but there are others just as great for 20% of the cost.  Of course these other don't have Pebble Beach's  history.

Butch

Note: This thread is 1597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!