IGNORED

Is Pebble Beach Worth $495 (or $550 in 2019)?

neophyte
Note: This thread is 1591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is Pebble Beach Worth $495

• Yes
    • No

I voted NO just on the principle of the money, but in the long run, what's $500 when I'm physically unable to swing a club? Yeah, for a golfer, it's worth it at least once. If I was out there and had a chance to get on, sure.

I voted yes because i would love to golf there, but for $500 its certainly not tops on my list. I would rather play Bethpage Black for under $200 or TPC Sawgrass for a couple hundred even if they all cost the same.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

... Fortunate to be able to take my dad to Pebble two years ago... Walking up 18 at Pebble with my dad is something I'll always cherish.

You can't put a price on that. That round was 'worth' every cent you paid. That is one great memory...

Here's what's in my ogio.gif Grom...

wishon.gifDriver: 919 THI 460cc 9°
wishon.gifWoods: 915 F/H 16° and 21°
wishon.gifIrons: 752 TC 5-9, PW, AW, SWtaylormade.gifPutter: Rossa - Suzukatitleist.gifNXT Tour

Thanks... I'm not rich by any means but seeing the look on my dad's face and seeing him with tears in his eyes proved to me it was worth it... He doesn't get choked up very often.

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

To me, its not worth it, but I would pay that much to play it. I know its a screw, but like the saying goes..you have to pay to play.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

As has been noted, there are plenty of courses out there just as nice or nicer, with the same scenery or better (subjective) that are just as challenging or harder, for less money.

Pebble costs $500 not because of the quality of the course but because it's Pebble (although it wouldn't have the rep if the course wasn't amazing). If you spend $500 to play there, it's likely for one of two reasons: you either have the money to "only play the best" or you want to play simply for the sake of having played there because of the reputation. There's nothing wrong with either of those reasons.

I've spent nearly $1k to eat at some of the "best" restaurants in the world and have frequently had better food for $10 at my local neighborhood place. For some people tier 1 is simply the standard because cost is relative. For the rest of us you pay for the experience and the story to tell. Frequently, the higher the relative cost of entry the more valued the experience will be. There was a time when spending $20 to eat at Outback was a big night out for me and those steaks were the best in the world. Now it's a place I go when I need meat and it's right in front of me.

Frankly, I'd rather go to a "lesser" resort and get 54-72 holes and a room for $500 but if playing Pebble is an experience that you want to have and share, by all means. If you're one of those people for whom $500 is your usualy price per round, then did I mention I am available for adoption?

Never been there myself, but have had a family member and a couple friends play. Each said it was worth the money to do it one time.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I was very fortunate to get to play Pebble Beach back in 1993 for the whoping cost of $0.00! I was stationed at Ft.Ord and every year Pebble gave away 20 free rounds to the military. Basically you entered a drawing on base. The cool thing was you could enter as a foursome, and we won a spot in 1993 so it was great getting to play it with my buddies. I think the going rate back then was around $275-$300, which was a lot of money to a Seargent in the Army so I wasn't going to play it with my own cash. I did have a few people offer me $75-$100 to take my spot, but there was no way I was giving it up,,lol! We get to the course that day and one of my buddies suggests since we were not paying to play we should triple our normal bets, so instead of winning my usual $10-12, I pocketed over $35 that round. It was just a awesome day all around!

As far as the question is Pebble worth $500 today, I have to agree with others that have said no round of golf is worth $500. Last summer vacation my son and I played six rounds of golf at Myrtle Beach for a total cost of $200(kids under 16 play for free on certain courses) on courses every bit as difficult and manicured as Pebble. You get that kind of deal and then see a single round for one player costing $500 and it looks insane,,lol!

Now, would I pay to play Pebble today if I had never played it before? I would say probably yes, but that's mainly because my salary has increased exponentially since my Army days and I could actually afford it, but it wouldn't be the smartest $500 I've ever spent. Since I have played Pebble there are only two other courses in the world that I hope to play, Pinehurst #2, and St. Andrews. Thank goodness both of those are a little cheaper than Pebble,,lol!

Pebble Beach is the most famous course I've played although I wouldn't say it's the best or most difficult, but in my opinion the 8th hole there is the greatest single hole I've ever played. It's just an amazing hole cutting across the pacific ocean. I would pay $50 just to play that one single hole again,,lol!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

If you're one of those people for whom $500 is your usualy price per round, then did I mention I am available for adoption?

LOL!

I wanted to play Pebble because of the history, but I enjoyed Spyglass Hill and Pasatiempo more than Pebble... If I get a chance to go back, I'll play both Spyglass and Pasatiempo again but doubtful I'll play Pebble

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

I'm amazed at the 70/30 vote in favor of "no".

I thought this was a GOLF forum.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I'm amazed at the 70/30 vote in favor of "no".

It is, but it's also a golf forum made up of a lot of people whose real lives can't be set aside to play a $500 round of golf.

A lot of us would simply prefer to play 5 - 10 rounds for that sort of expenditure. At the price I pay most often, that is 25 rounds. If you can afford it, then more power to you.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is, but it's also a golf forum made up of a lot of people whose real lives can't be set aside to play a $500 round of golf.

I play 99% of my golf at a muni. It's $750 for a year of free golf + range balls. I can't "afford" to pay $500 for one round. But Pebble Beach is majestic and holds special meaning. I've been to Monterrey, but I didn't play Pebble. I couldn't afford it, but it's still

worth it - and I'll play it some day.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I live on twilight rates for 9 holes in the winter and 18 after 5pm in the summer in Florida. I am lucky and have league games throughout the year. I voted yes on Pebble as long as it was with a family member, if not i could care less about the course, but Pebble and St. Andrews is a must do for me with family and close friends...if it ever works out....

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

The NCGA has specials that bring the price down. I played the one time in my life for $350 IIRC. I am not sure it was worth it, as the weather sucked...it SURE would not have been worth it at $500. I'll play again someday, though.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

in my opinion it is...and i have not played it...yet. bottom line is it is one of the historical Meccas of golf and if you are in the area and it won't bankrupt you it should be played...and played with a caddie. If it is going to hurt you then that would be a different conversation.

Next time I get out that way I will be playing no questions asked and i will be hoping the wind is calm!!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 1591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!