IGNORED

Myrtle Beach Courses

Buckeyegolf10
Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do not get me wrong allmost all the courses are in excellent shape in Myrtle.Is just that for me it is 715 miles to my land at Wild Wing and when I go that far to play golf I want to play all the 4 star or better courses.Possum Trot even waterway hills or the Grand daddy are all nice courses but in the area and price range you can and should do better.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Same thing with me we have to travel 650 miles to get there and we want to play some of the most challenging courses down there. Heard the Moorland course at the legends was real good any opinions on that one or the other two.

In my Bag
Driver-Taylormade R11 TP Fujikura Blur Stiff 65g shaft
3Wood- Titleist 906 f4
Hybrid- Adams  Idea Pro A12 18degree
Irons- Titleist 712 mbs 3-Pw

Wedges Clevland CG 12 52 56, CG 15 60

Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6

Heathland Moorland and parkland are all good solid above average courses.If you are doing a deal with them make sure you get a round at Heritage a MUST PLAY.The back 9 at heritage maybe the toughest 9 holes in all of Myrtle and the greens you could die for.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Kings north is great course but has slow greens. Tidewater used to be the 2nd best course in all of MB for my money...i haven't played it in a couple years. The last 3 years we have stayed dwon south in Pawleys Island. Our group loves it there...Caledonia is a must play...36 holes do the rebuy!! What a fantastic golf course!!! True blue is very good, founders club is also good. The love course at Barefoot is nice.

Agreed 100%

Heathland Moorland and parkland are all good solid above average courses.If you are doing a deal with them make sure you get a round at Heritage a MUST PLAY.The back 9 at heritage maybe the toughest 9 holes in all of Myrtle and the greens you could die for.

I agree 150% on Heritage. Its my favorite course at Myrtle.

Couldn't disagree more on The Legends. All three are completely overrated dog tracks. Terrible greens and very slow play. A hackers dream. The last time down I played Myrtle Beach National, Grande Dunes, and Plantation.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

• 1 month later...
I've only played around Myrtle Beach once, and the only course I played was Long Bay club. I remember it was pretty ok, but probably not worth driving from Ohio for. That was 5 years ago and I really don't remember it much.

I'm going in March to play a round each at

Legends Parkland Legends Heathland Legends Moorland Oyster Bay Heritage I'll post a trip report when I get back. What kind of package did you get??

I'm going in March to play a round each at

You will have a great time, next trip dig a little deeper for your selections. there was some outstanding advice on here...for free. Many of us have spent years paying to find out the hard way.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

• 2 years later...

Reviving this old thread.

Two or three guys headed to MB last week in March. Third guy is higher handicap but keeps pace and can play. The two of us are around 10 caps. We both appreciate a fine course but don't need 7300 yards to prove we are real men. One guy went to MB last year and liked the Traditions to give you an idea of what we are looking for quality wise.

We want to stay near where we play. We would like to play the same few courses multiple times. 36 some days and 18 some days. Maybe seven total rounds over five days on two or three courses. We've been on trips with guys who value finding dinner places with $200 bottles of wine. We are not those guys. This is about golf.

Are the Legends still slow play and just OK courses? The stay and play deal is enticing. What about the Glen courses? Looks like there some driving around to most of them.

What other options are there for two or three good courses very near to each other, have on-site lodging, and offer a package deal? I love the idea of walking from my room to the practice range.

Based on recommendation here, I am starting talks with Myrtle Beach Golf Desk. My buddy is talking with they guys he used last year. We want to nail this down soon.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Reviving this old thread.

Two or three guys headed to MB last week in March.

We want to stay near where we play. We would like to play the same few courses multiple times. 36 some days and 18 some days. Maybe seven total rounds over five days on two or three courses. We've been on trips with guys who value finding dinner places with $200 bottles of wine. We are not those guys. This is about golf.

Are the Legends still slow play and just OK courses? The stay and play deal is enticing. What about the Glen courses? Looks like there some driving around to most of them.

What other options are there for two or three good courses very near to each other, have on-site lodging, and offer a package deal? I love the idea of walking from my room to the practice range.

Based on recommendation here, I am starting talks with Myrtle Beach Golf Desk. My buddy is talking with they guys he used last year. We want to nail this down soon.

There are lots of options that meet your criteria. The first thing you should consider is what part of MB you want to  stay in and how much you want to pay. Lats week of March is high season so you'll play around $100 or more for the top MB courses. The grand strand strectches more than 70 miles form north to south and the courses are spread out along that strecth so you should focus on clusters in the North, Central or South to avoid lots of driving.

The Legends courses are a good value for some nice courses. They've just reduced the numer of tee times per hour (increasing the numer of minutes between tee times) to address the slow play issue. We'll se how that works. The condos. practice area and pub at Legends are all very good, so if cost is an issue, ths should be a top choice. The courses are better than "just okay". They are very good.

In the South end, You could stay at True Blue condos and play True Blue and  Caledonia. You can't due better than that. The two courses are across the road from one another.  Heritage, Pawleys Plantation,Founders Club and Willbrook are other nearby courses to choose for a third course. There is nothing bettere than True Blue and Caledonia in MB. If you want to save some $$, stay at Litchfield and play Willbrook, Litchfield, River Club and Tradition. All 4 are basically next to each other. That's a decent bargain option, but the golf is not in the same calss as Cally and TB

In the North, I'd consider staing at Barefoot Resort and playing the 4 courses on site there. If you are looking for lots of good golf on iste of where you are staying, this is your best choice, although not cheap. The Barefoot Yacht Club condos are vvery nice.  MB Golf Desk can get you a decent package here.

Another good choice in the north is the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes. They have two nice courses on site: Grande Dunes resort Course and Members Course. The Marina Inn is a beautiful upscale lodging option. If you want to play another course farly close, it's not a far drive to The Dunes Goilf and Beach Club or Tidewater. You can get a package that includes the two Garnde Dunes courses and Tidewater as they are operated by the same company.

Moving further north, you mentioned the Glens Group. They have four courses. Two are very good. Two are not as good. The two better ones are Heather Glen and Glen Dornoch. The Village at the Glens Condos are located at the entrance to Heather Glen (27 holes). Glen Dornoch is just a few minutes away by car. The Glens Condos are fine, but not as nice as Grande Dunes or Barefoot Yacht Club

Across the border in NC, Ocean Ridge Plantation has four courses on site. Tigers Eye and Leopards Chase are very good. Panthers Run and Lions Paw are okay.

These seven places are the ones that i think will best fit your needs. See which has  the best deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any insights based on this itinerary? Notes for next time -- things fill up the first week of high season. Lodging options were more limited than I would have expected.

Here's the plan -- all through Diane at http://golfdesk.com :

Two guys arrive Saturday night. Stay at Staybridge Suites Fantasy Harbour Blvd. right off 501. Affordable two-bedroom suite in a location central to the courses we will be playing.

Sunday -- Kings North at Myrtle Beach National. Replay one of the MBN courses in the afternoon.

Monday -- MBN South. Replay MBN South

Tuesday -- The Witch. Replay same.

Wednesday -- Tradition Club. Replay same.

Thursday -- Wild Wing Avocet (all 27 holes)

Friday -- Man O' War in the morning and leave in the afternoon.

Replays will be booked on-site that day and will either be 9 or 18 depending on weather and availability (and stamina). Without replays, six rounds in six days. With replays -- 11 rounds.

Traditions Club is 30 minutes from hotel. All other are supposed to be less than 15 minutes. Not exactly on-site, but pretty good if it is true. Heck, I've walked more than 20 minutes from my room to the first tee at a large resort with an on-site course.

Pretty excited. Like that it looks like a lot of golf. Guessing we'll be looking for simple dinners near our hotel and/or courses. Early to bed and early to rise. Our earliest tee time is 7:38 and every time is before 8:30. And these times are after the clocks change so sunrise will be near 7 am.

Based on the plan above, any advise?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

the witch and mon o war are hit and miss with conditions.  They don't seem to really keep up the courses. Kings north was nice when we played it.  I've always enjoyed staying at legends and they have some decent courses.  I think you will have a good time with what you picked thats a hell of alot of golf.  Our Orlando trip got cancelled so we are working on a new myrtle trip for may right now also.  Guys are already bitching about 36 a day for 3 days no way would they do what you are doing lol.  As for food we always hit up broadway on the beach at night for drinks and dinner.  Nice place to hang out.  Have fun!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Forgot to ask anyone played the seatrail courses?  Was thinking of doing them this year to mix it up some.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://www.mbgolfinsider.com/

Found this site with reviews. As stated earlier, I've never been to MB but think this site, with real people doing the reviews, helped.

According to what I learned in my research, Seatrail is in bankruptcy and may or may not have good conditions and too much play. Again, just what I found on-line and not any personal knowledge. They sure do have some tempting deals.

Legends went through this and really got panned for shortening the starting intervals to add several groups each morning, teeing front and back nine to start the day, and creating 5-6 hour rounds as the norm. They also let the conditions go to pot according to many reviews. People say they now have new owners, cut back on the number of groups they let tee off, and have the pace nearer 4.30.

As for the amount of golf planned, that is one reason just two of us are going. We are all getting older and many of the regular buddies just don't want to play as much golf as some of us.

Eat. Golf. Eat. Golf. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. To me, that is a golf trip.

• 1 month later...

week of 3/25 replayed each course except Man 'O War and Avocet

Kings North -- Great facilities and staff. Bad and very marked up greens. Traps needed more sand. fairways were good. Layout is nice but not memorable. Dormant rough made missing fairways no punishment.

Kings South -- Much better greens -- firm, fast and true. Traps better but not consistent. Layout was easier again with few memorable holes. Dormant rough made missing fairways no punishment.

The Traditions Club -- Again, nice facilities. Good layout with some nice holes. Dormant rough. Greens rolled well but very grainy and every cup seemed pulled.

Man 'O War -- Easy course. Flat. Few trees. Felt like a nice muni. You could see lots of holes and golfers everywhere. Conditions were great. Thick rough. Fast and very good greens. Fairways were beautiful. Staff was gruff. Too many golfers and a very slow back nine.

Wild Wing Avocet -- Really nice. Don't let the vacant lots visible on the first hole fool you. Soon you are in a beautiful course with great hole after great hole. Wonderful greens. Fairways were terrific. Friendly staff. Good pace of play.

Wild Wing Hummingbird -- Nine hole par 34 winner with full sized holes and two former par fives converted to a three and a four in order to make room for who knows what. Played for an afternoon repeat. Conditions as good as its sister course. Again, wonderful greens. More houses and lots but still plenty of trees and a great layout. No one on the course. I mean we were the only ones playing the course. So, pace of play... Will play again when I return to MB.

The Witch -- Winner winner chicken dinner. This place was fabulous. The clubhouse and range make you think it is nothing special. Boy is it special. Must be a huge piece of land. You are in the woods with tall pines. Beautiful holes. Perfect conditions. Very tough rough that makes staying in the fairway the way to go. Very sloped greens that ran fast and true as could be. We were shocked at how great this place is. The first choice for next trip and would play more than one day.

Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!