IGNORED

Your Golf Grade?

ks8829
Note: This thread is 5215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me , A is able to play Par Golf .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't compare yourselves to tour players, "best on earth" is not the standard, it's the exception. I'm a session musician, and to try to compare most session musicians (probably not me!) to any popular musicians is almost a joke. Popular musicians like Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix cannot even come close to the virtuosity of session musicians like Dann Huff. It's like comparing a scratch golfer to Tiger Woods. Dann Huff has played on thousands of songs, from Selena's "I Could Fall in Love" to Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" to DeBarge's "Rhythm of the Night" to Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" to Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" to Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" to... well, country, metal, jazz, Christian, pop, etc. you get the picture here. He can do it all in one or two takes, nail it dead on, and be ready to do another. And yet unlike Tiger in golf, very few have ever heard of him.

So, to us, par is A+, it's rare. The average golfer doesn't even break 100, let alone par! It's a tough game, so don't try to compare yourself to these inhuman monsters who can shoot 65 on a U.S. open venue!

You can't compare yourselves to tour players, "best on earth" is not the standard, it's the exception. I'm a session musician, and to try to compare most session musicians (probably not me!) to any popular musicians is almost a joke. Popular musicians like Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix cannot even come close to the virtuosity of session musicians like Dann Huff. It's like comparing a scratch golfer to Tiger Woods. Dann Huff has played on thousands of songs, from Selena's "I Could Fall in Love" to Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" to DeBarge's "Rhythm of the Night" to Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" to Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" to Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" to... well, country, metal, jazz, Christian, pop, etc. you get the picture here. He can do it all in one or two takes, nail it dead on, and be ready to do another. And yet unlike Tiger in golf, very few have ever heard of him.

I graded my current game against my potential. I'm playing okay - better than I was a couple years ago - but nowhere near where I was playng / scoring in the mid-90s (peaked in ~ 1995). I am physically fit and young enough to reach that potential again. My personal A+ would be about a 6.0 hdcp. The game of tour players or + handicaps did not enter the equation. BTW - that Huff character may be a virtuoso, but he's contributed to some musical abominations (IMO).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

BTW - that Huff character may be a virtuoso, but he's contributed to some musical abominations (IMO).

Prehaps, but he didn't write those songs. He did have his own band called Giant, they were OK. You play to put food on the table, and can't always be picky about who you play for. Look at the evil characters lawyers are required by law to defend.

Driver - C probably only half of my drives in a round go close to where i want them to, and i don't really have a whole lot of distance, maybe 270 average during summer.
Iron - C my biggest fault with irons is hitting them fat. 80% of the time i'll have the right line, but the ball drops 10 yards (more or less) short of the target.
Short game - B my pitching often comes up just a yard or two short, but my chipping has been spot-on this past season, saving me par a great many times.
Putter - A- could be better, but not by much. i average 32 putts a round, and rarely have more than one three-putt per round. but by the same token, i don't have very many one-putts per round, either. i rarely lose strokes for my putting, but i rarely gain any, either.
Overall game - B- i see my game as being better than average joe golfer, but nothing near what would actually qualify as good.

Driver C-
Irons C
Short Game B+
Putter B
Overall Game C

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For my grading I used the curve of a scratch golfer for comparison.

Driver: B+ (Length is still very good, but need a slight improvement in accuracy to break the scratch barrier)

Iron: A (The strongest part of my game, GIR 65%)

Short game: C+ (Although I've seen great improvement since I started working on the Stan Utley method, I still have some work to do)

Putter: A- (2009 was my best putting year of my life, I hope it can continue)

Overall game: A- (I had a very good year in 2009, and will be working hard to improve in 2010)

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Well, first of all, I think what is an A for me might be a B for someone else. So, for me, my grades are:

Driving: B Willd thing, especially if my tempo/rythm is not good

Iron game: B Again, it really deppends on how my rythm is. I could hit 16 GIR's in one day with a good tempo, and the very next day just 3 becaus Ilost my tempo

Short game: B I can get up and down fairly easy from tricky lies, but when I have a more simple shot, I kidda tend to over think it

Putting: A This is finnaly comming around, and thanks to it, I'm finally scoring better

Over all game: B- WHy? just cuz sometimes, I can't score for nothing... Need more consistency, and definaty a better rythm and tempo (ant tips? if so, please send me a private mail)

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

Driver C-
Irons B
Short Game B- (usually dont get up and down, its up/putt/down )
Putter D (hence why I cant get up/down )
Overall Game C+

Being to hard on myself?

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I will grade mine against par golf:

Driver: A-
Irons: B+
Short Game: C
Putter: B
Overall:B+

I had a solid year but just couldn't keep a good round going. It seemed that in half the tourneys I played I would be a couple under with 5 or 6 holes to play and then I would end up a few over.

Driver - B- - Distance is not an issue. I miss far too many fairways.
Iron - B - I'm no tour pro, but I strike a decent iron.
Short game - B+- My strongest part of the game.
Putter - B- - I burn the edges all day. 18 two-putts...
Overall game - B - I suck at golf.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I like the idea of this thread. Tho i have read all the pages and some people are a 25 Handicap and giving themselves B+, B, B- and C's. I dont believe your Golf game can be a B if you shoot in the high 90's. Anywho here are my grades.

Driving- B. I can work my Driver well, Hit fades, draws and right down the middle. I cant give myself an A because i believe to deserve an A in anything you have to be the best at it and im not im very good tho.
Irons- C. My Iron game as of late has been a little sketchy. Sometimes im on fire, sometimes im off this year. Therefore my grade is average.
Short game- B+. Tho my irons have been a little sketchy my 56-60 and bump and runs have been amazingly great. I have been working the ball above average around the greens this season and im very happy with it right now.
Putter-A. Putting is the best part of my game. I have been draining everything from everywhere. It cant get any better for me. This is where i save my score all the time. I hit 30+ footers like some people hit 6 footers.
Overall Grade- B. My game is a little above average right now but theres always room for improvement. If i get my irons going this upcoming season i would like to get my Grade to a B+.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

Hey lower handicap guys, I think that us higher handicapers who give ourselves grades that are not F's do so because we don't judge ourselves against par or a pro golfer, but against where we want to be as golfers. Nickynoodles, it's unlikely I'll ever be a 6 handicapper, but maybe I'll break into single digits someday, and that's good enough for me. So, I'll judge myself based on how close I am to that goal. Otherwise I would be straight F's, which would be no fun and pointless to post on this thread.

Hey lower handicap guys, I think that us higher handicapers who give ourselves grades that are not F's do so because we don't judge ourselves against par or a pro golfer, but against where we want to be as golfers. Nickynoodles, it's unlikely I'll ever be a 6 handicapper, but maybe I'll break into single digits someday, and that's good enough for me. So, I'll judge myself based on how close I am to that goal. Otherwise I would be straight F's, which would be no fun and pointless to post on this thread.

Hey bud, sorry if i offended you in any way. I didnt mean it like that. I wouldnt expect anyone to give themselves an F unless they were really horrible. I actually did not see your post and i dont know what grade you gave yourself..

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

Ball:

I like the idea of this thread. Tho i have read all the pages and some people are a 25 Handicap and giving themselves B+, B, B- and C's. I dont believe your Golf game can be a B if you shoot in the high 90's. Anywho here are my grades.

By the same token, I could go around rating every local musician as an F (and most of them are), but that's counter-productive. To the tour guys, all of us are going to be Fs. If you can't break 70 with regularity, you're an F to them. We rate ourselves based on our own goals and ideals.

Any music i hear on the radio these days is an F. Haha

Ball:

I didn't have a great year, although because of my short game and putter I was able to keep my handicap relative to where it was the year before. My ratings:

Driver -> D
Irons -> D
Shortgame -> B+
Putting -> A-

Overall -> C

Starting next month I am going to take at least one lesson a month to up my grades and lower my cap.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Hey bud, sorry if i offended you in any way. I didnt mean it like that. I wouldnt expect anyone to give themselves an F unless they were really horrible. I actually did not see your post and i dont know what grade you gave yourself..

Oh, I wasn't offended Nickynoodles, it's all good. BTW I gave myself a D+ (have a long way to go to get to single digits)

Note: This thread is 5215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!