IGNORED

Same swing for all clubs (Driver-Wedges)?

RWHJR3
Note: This thread is 3946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey there! Just wondering, should I swing all clubs the same and only thing different is ball placement (for the most part)? As in same address, alignment, posture, backswing, downswing, etc?

Thanks

Nike Sumo2 Staff Bag
Callaway FT-IZ 10 Degrees
Callaway FT Tour 3 Wood 13 Degrees
Nike Sumo 2 2Hybrid 17 Degrees
Cleveland CG7 Irons (3-P) Nike SV Tour 54 Degree Wedge Nike SV Tour 60 Degree Wedge White Hot Tour #9 34" NXT Tour/Pro V1-V1x

Hey there! Just wondering, should I swing all clubs the same and only thing different is ball placement (for the most part)? As in same address, alignment, posture, backswing, downswing, etc?

All the swings should be the same, yes. The address does change though. When you address a driver or a fairway wood, you want to have more weight on the back foot than with an iron, and you want the hands to trail a bit more than with irons. There's a great online guide here:

http://golf.about.com/od/golftips/ss/golf_setup.htm
actually the longer the club the harder you need to swing it. if its a longer shot you need extra swing speed!!!

Absolutely not. Longer clubs are longer and have less loft, their length will automatically generate more clubhead speed. The output from the body should be the same.

It really depends on what you mean by the "same swing." As clubs move from short to long, the swing plane should become progressively flatter. Anyone who tries to hit their driver with the same plane as their wedge is going to come to grief. I personally always think of my swing plane as going through the line created by my shoulders at address. This "automatically" adjusts the swing plane for the varying length of club. With this wing thought always ingrained in my mind, my swing does stay "the same" from club to club, although my swing plane changes.

It really depends on what you mean by the "same swing." As clubs move from short to long, the swing plane should become progressively flatter. Anyone who tries to hit their driver with the same plane as their wedge is going to come to grief. I personally always think of my swing plane as going through the line created by my shoulders at address. This "automatically" adjusts the swing plane for the varying length of club. With this wing thought always ingrained in my mind, my swing does stay "the same" from club to club, although my swing plane changes.

It's still the same swing, but your shoulder angle changes. This would mean a change in setup, not particularly a change in swing.

With the driver I set my stance wider.

With my wedges I don't take a full swing because if If I do I'll just shank it.

That's all I change really

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I wouldn't say the swing is exactly the same, but its not a "different swing" either. You just need to make adjustments to fit a longer club. Your swing will be a little faster, a little longer, and have a little more lower body movement with a Driver vs. a SW. Just watch any good player. Here is a good video example.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, to summarize the above, yes and no.

Technically, not only is it impossible for the "swing" to be "the same" for all the clubs, but its impossible to swing exactly the same way twice in a row with the same club. (yeah this is going to be one of THOSE posts).

But aside from that obvious fact... the setup has to be different to accomodate the length of the different clubs, and the fact that your sweeping it off the tee with a driver instead of pinching it off the ground as in a short iron. The plane will have to change as mentioned. Weight distribution and other setup features will vary, either conciously or not. You will make other concious and unconcious changes. Also, the goals are somewhat different. With a driver you are aiming much further out and the target is more of an area, i.e. the fairway, or a part of the fairway, and often a few yards further or less isn't an issue, with a few yards longer usually being preferable (so you might, in general, in your driver swing, be more focused onn length as mentioned in prior posts). With a short iron it will be a more focused area, like the middle of the green, or the front of the green, and usually with a very specific yardage. Those things will translate into a different kind of swing.

But, all that being said, you really want to have the same swing in all the clubs .

That makes no logical sense, and is completely contradictory, but it's true.

And not only that, but "having the same swing" is what makes for consistency and lower scores.

This is stuff that obviously takes time to come to grips with.

I always feel like I need to "get used to" the way a club feels before I hit it.. the length of the club, where I'm putting the ball, and many other details. That's what the pre shot routine is for.

Another confusing one is having the same preshot routine for all shots. Same facts apply as above.. there's no way it can be exactly the same for every kind of shot but you should endeavor to make it the same, if you want to play the best golf possible.

At the end of the day what you want do ideally is to not think at all about routine, setup, and swing, and just focus on the target-- the swing and the preparation all take care of themselves. When you do this I guarantee you that you'll be playing really good golf.

- Jerry

Shortgamewiz
c5_banana.gif

I personally have two different swings based on irons/woods. The woods swing is so much flatter that I have difficulty getting on plane, so I concentrate solely on getting the club flat. This means I take the club back inside, probably further then I should, but results are pretty good lately. I guess I'm trying to achieve a one plane swing.

All of my irons and hybrids are the same swing basically, I concentrate on taking it back down the line, good hinging as the club comes to the top of the backswing, and dropping it in the slot with good tempo. When I tried my "wood" swing with hybrids I had horrible results. I don't know if what I do is right or wrong, but it's the only thing I've been able to make work so far.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Well, I went for my first lesson today and I asked the instructor about it. He said that the arm position is the same, the only thing different is width of stance and weight setup when switching from irons to driver, due to driver you wanting to hit on the upswing. Something in that general area.

Nike Sumo2 Staff Bag
Callaway FT-IZ 10 Degrees
Callaway FT Tour 3 Wood 13 Degrees
Nike Sumo 2 2Hybrid 17 Degrees
Cleveland CG7 Irons (3-P) Nike SV Tour 54 Degree Wedge Nike SV Tour 60 Degree Wedge White Hot Tour #9 34" NXT Tour/Pro V1-V1x

Well, I went for my first lesson today and I asked the instructor about it. He said that the arm position is the same, the only thing different is width of stance and weight setup when switching from irons to driver, due to driver you wanting to hit on the upswing. Something in that general area.

You should be able to take a club, without seeing what it is, just feeling the length, and setting up to a comfortable distance, and swing and hit it. I play with a guy (now a 5 handicap in his late 60s, was scratch most of his life) who goes out to the range, takes about 5 clubs from the bag, a SW, 7i, 4i, 3w, and D. He puts a ball down, picks up a club, and starts his routine. He hits them all with the same swing, but a different setup. This is how you do it.

And sorry to correct laquintaboy again, but you do NOT swing harder with a longer club. This is absolutely false. They have longer shafts and less loft, they are made to go farther. Swinging harder is a surefire way to lose distance on a long iron.

Pretty much spot on.

If you ever see someone with really good mechanics on the trackman you'll see their driver is more or less level (sometimes slightly down or up) at impact. As you move more and more towards the wedges you are swinging more and more vertically down on the ball. All the mechanical parts are very much the same though. Some people will be slightly more or less stacked on their lead leg depending on the club they are using. But in general the swing doesn't change.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

You should be able to take a club, without seeing what it is, just feeling the length, and setting up to a comfortable distance, and swing and hit it. I play with a guy (now a 5 handicap in his late 60s, was scratch most of his life) who goes out to the range, takes about 5 clubs from the bag, a SW, 7i, 4i, 3w, and D. He puts a ball down, picks up a club, and starts his routine. He hits them all with the same swing, but a different setup. This is how you do it.

Nice. Nicklaus described a similar drill in his books. That

must be how you do it. I should do that.

Shortgamewiz
c5_banana.gif

• 3 years later...
nope you need to hit it as hard as you can only a little flatter

Your swing speed/tempo should look the same with the pw all the way to the driver. Saying you have to swing harder with the longer clubs is some of the worst advice I have ever heard.

- Jered

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!