IGNORED

Lanny Lanny Lanny

greenail
Note: This thread is 6400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is up with golf on TV? I have been watching the PGA championship coverage with some amazement. Perhaps I am a purist, I like to hear them talk about the play, describe the lie, discuss the leader board. Perhaps they simply don't have enough to talk about. But why do they have to spend soooooo much time kissing Tiger's ass? You'd think he was the only one playing. You'd think he had a 20 stroke lead. You'd almost think that if tiger started to putt with only the 2 fingers of his right hand, our brilliant commentators and "experts" would declare it a brilliant innovation in golf which all of the viewers should run out and try. Is it because there is so much stock footage available of tiger? Do they just pre-produce all these fluffy flavor montages because the chances are Tiger will be somewhere on the leader board? I was watching yesterday as Tiger sunk an average putt, not that long, not that difficult, and my buddy Lanny Watkins declared "Tiger slays the beast"! Slay the beast! This is golf, not Dungeons and Dragons. He made a birdy put on a par 3. Great, move on, there was no dragon. He is not 20 strokes ahead. You don't need to make stretched and silly analogy to keep me watching. If anything all this filling takes away from Tiger and the rest of the field. Golf commentators simply over the top extreem personification and cheese filled fillers of the human story ruin the experience for me.

P.S. Lanny Watkins makes me want to change the channel. Anyone want to start a takethemikeawayfromlanny.com protest site?

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

• Administrator
I was watching yesterday as Tiger sunk an average putt, not that long, not that difficult, and my buddy Lanny Watkins declared "Tiger slays the beast"! Slay the beast! This is golf, not Dungeons and Dragons. He made a birdy put on a par 3. Great, move on, there was no dragon.

To be fair, he did birdie a 250-yard par three...

And yes, Lanny - and Bobby Clampett - should never be allowed to broadcast again. But they do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If history is a guide, Tiger is the only one playing...for first.

I know what you are saying though. The media drumbeat about Tiger does make me root against him sometimes. Now I just watch and be amazed while rooting for great shots.

In The Bag:
R7 425 10.5 Fujikara ReAx stiff
3,5 Wood Aldila NV 75s
Rescue Dual 16 deg 3i hyb
R7 XD steel/stiff 52deg and 56deg TP White Hot XG 2 ballHome Course: River Crossing

Now I just watch and be amazed while rooting for great shots.

I'm with you guys, Lanny makes this coverage sickening to listen to, I'm seriously considering putting the MUTE button on and listening to music while I watch. Lanny sucks. So critical of everyone except Tiger. This reminds me of how much I like Johnny Miller in the booth. He's critical if needed and he's not afraid to hammer on a guy if he makes a bonehead move. Even if it's Tiger.

"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

• Administrator
I'm with you guys, Lanny makes this coverage sickening to listen to, I'm seriously considering putting the MUTE button on and listening to music while I watch. Lanny sucks. So critical of everyone except Tiger. This reminds me of how much I like Johnny Miller in the booth. He's critical if needed and he's not afraid to hammer on a guy if he makes a bonehead move. Even if it's Tiger.

Miller still talks about himself too much for my tastes. Faldo combines the best of both worlds: honesty for everyone, witty comments, and not a lot of self-promotion. And I like the back-and-forth between Azinger and himself when they're together.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Faldo combines the best of both worlds: honesty for everyone, witty comments, and not a lot of self-promotion. And I like the back-and-forth between Azinger and himself when they're together.

Faldo is stil my idiol.

He was at the top when I started getting into golf, and now he's in the TV booth hearing his comments aregreat. ANd yeah he doesn't talk about himself which is a good thing as his record stands up all on it's own. Just a shame I'm at work and can't watch Tiger win his 12th and officially become the 2nd best player ever
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

Come on guys, give Lanny a break. The only player who is doing anything positive it Tiger. Maybe Micheel, but he has no realistic chance either. These old school golfers are amazed by the things Tiger does.

I am no Tiger lover either. The US Open coverage was a bit over the top with all the stories about Tiger and his dad. But this performance is tremendous and his ability to crush his opponents will to live is really un precedented. Maybe Hogan was as intimidating too. Heck Tiger may pass Jack in two or three years, much less in his carreer.

In The Bag:
R7 425 10.5 Fujikara ReAx stiff
3,5 Wood Aldila NV 75s
Rescue Dual 16 deg 3i hyb
R7 XD steel/stiff 52deg and 56deg TP White Hot XG 2 ballHome Course: River Crossing

Miller still talks about himself too much for my tastes. Faldo combines the best of both worlds: honesty for everyone, witty comments, and not a lot of self-promotion. And I like the back-and-forth between Azinger and himself when they're together.

I agree 100%. I dont like listening to Johnny Miller with Dottie Pepper on the course. Hearing "Dottie" and "Johnny" at the end of each statement started to make me sick at the US Open. Faldo and Azinger are great to listen to.

Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

What is up with golf on TV? .... why do they have to spend soooooo much time kissing Tiger's ass? You'd think he was the only one playing.

Or you might think that 90% of the viewing audience had no interest in anyone other than Tiger, and that pretty much

is close to the truth. When Tiger is on, he makes a lot of money for a lot of people. You bet they are going to milk it. And he also just happens to usually be making golfing history in the bargain. But in fairness, where was all the butt smooching at the US Open? After he missed the cut, it was pretty much hard to tell he had been there from the TV coverage. So you can hardly accuse television of creating a phenom that wouldn't otherwise exist. But would TV rather have a final pairing that included Tiger versus J J Henry battling Jeff Maggert? Uh, yeah, I'm thinking so.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

Here's my ranking of golf commentators:

1a - Nick Faldo
1b - Paul Azinger
2 - Lanny Wadkins
100,493,828,774,582 - Johnny Miller.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not as down on Lanny as everyone else. Of course I think that the CBS group is better than any other. ABC was close behind. Too bad they are going away. Maybe CBS will hire Faldo and/or Azinger to replace Lanny...just a thought.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

McCord, Faherty and Costas are easily the most fun to listen to. The others know golf but don't have the handle on humorous and casual filler. I also like Roger Maltby and the syrupy voice of Jim Huber.

Personally, I can't wait for the Golf Channel to get into the game and produce full tournament coverage so that we can get away from network hype and the barrage of commercials about prime time crap that doesn't even warrant the film wasted to produce it.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

• Administrator
McCord, Faherty and Costas are easily the most fun to listen to. The others know golf but don't have the handle on humorous and casual filler. I also like Roger Maltby and the syrupy voice of Jim Huber.

I still think that McCord talks too much. Feherty is more the "quick wit." McCord has a different kind of humor. On good days, I'd call it "more descriptive." On bad days, it just drags on forever... the joke that won't die. Plus, too often, McCord's jokes are making fun of his fellow announcers, it seems to me.

Personally, I can't wait for the Golf Channel to get into the game and produce full tournament coverage so that we can get away from network hype and the barrage of commercials about prime time crap that doesn't even warrant the film wasted to produce it.

Well... they'll only be doing Thur/Fri coverage, along with full-week coverage of all the stuff after the Tour Championship ("FedExCup"), IIRC.

I simply think of who I enjoy in both voice and comment and then balance it with who I'd like to spend a day on the golf course with.

Miller, Wadkins and Nance don't impress me as being a good time. In fact, Miller and Wadkins seem down right scary.

McCord, Faherty and Maltby would be a hoot.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

Who's the english guy who was a real smart ass during the british open? Not faldo, the older dood.

What's In The Bag
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

Who's the english guy who was a real smart ass during the british open? Not faldo, the older dood.

Peter Alliss I think. He's a BBC announcer.

Yes I think that is the guy. He is funny as shit.

What's In The Bag

My Three Favorites from the Bridgstone.

1. Adam Scott putting for par and missing "he just threw a depth charge down there" DIVE DIVE DIVE time to get back to reality Lanny.
2. "that is incredible" marveling about how Tiger marks his ball. Jim Nantz commenting "he misses nothing". I guess Tiger is a genius now.
3."he could really golf that ball" wow!

What's In The Bag

Note: This thread is 6400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!