IGNORED

Anybody play a 2 iron?

James_Black
Note: This thread is 2070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was playing today and it was really windy.
I was hitting a 3i off most tees to get under the wind but on some holes it still wasn't going low enough.

I was just wondering if anybody plays a 2i when it's windy.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I'm in the market for one to keep it low and controlled for short tee shots. I'm reluctant to try a hybrid because of the height.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

I'm in the market for one to keep it low and controlled for short tee shots. I'm reluctant to try a hybrid because of the height.

If you need one, I have two: A Mizuno MP32 and a Nike Pro Combo.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

For this reason I've considered putting an old low-trajectory driver back in my bag on certian days. I couldn't imagine hitting a 2-iron from the grass anyway.

I hit my driver high over trees and low into the wind. What I do is tee the ball lower and place the ball back in my stance.

I also can choke up and hit my driver into the wind on a par 3 from 220 yards.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Depends on what you mean by a 2-iron. After 20 years of loft deflation so people can hit their 7-iron 180 yards, lots of people are again playing 2 irons. They just have the # 3 on the clubhead these days.

• Like 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on what you mean by a 2-iron. After 20 years of loft deflation so people can hit their 7-iron 180 yards, lots of people are again playing 2 irons. They just have the # 3 on the clubhead these days.

I've got a old 3i blade from the 60's so maybe it's more like a modern day 4i?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I've got a old 3i blade from the 60's so maybe it's more like a modern day 4i?

A 2-iron is a 2-iron. A 3-iron is a 3-iron A 4 . . . do you see where I'm going with this?

When they started delofting irons, they didn't just take existing iron sets and adjust the lofts and lies, they re-engineered them. A vintage 2-iron and a new 3 iron may be the same loft or a couple degrees apart, depending on the manufacturer, but one thing is very likely. You have to put a better strike on the ball to get the same shot out of the older 2 iron. If you can do it, it's money. Also, a new 3-iron (matching or not) may not have exactly the desired flight characteristics suited to wind day tee shots. A 2-iron is not precise in the wind, because your whole swing is a little off in the wind. My rule of thumb for using a 2-iron on windy days is to allow for a 50 yard difference from the worst result to the best. Even on a calm day when I'm striping it, I still use a 25 yard rule. If there's trouble on the long side or a forced carry, it's decision time. Having said all that, my best feeling shot last year was an angry swing with an Apex 2-iron after a skied drive. Sure, I missed the short putt, but damn that helped me get over a bad drive!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Until it got replaced with an 18.5* fairway wood I carried one just for dramatic effect.

It sat there, shinier than all the other irons, and on special occasions I would pull it out, stare down the fairway, hold it in front of me and form my grip a la Ben Hogan, look down at it, waggle, then immediately put it back and grab whatever club I knew I was gonna hit the entire time.

It makes a great putter though.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

I keep one in the bag during the summer to kill snakes with. Does a better job than woods and has a longer shaft than my other irons so I can stay away from those squirmy rascals.

Cleveland Hibore XL
Mizuno F60 3 wood
3-PW MP 68
52 & 56 Vokey
Odyssey White Steel 2 Ball

I keep one in the bag during the summer to kill snakes with. Does a better job than woods and has a longer shaft than my other irons so I can stay away from those squirmy rascals.

A guy I work with hits blades and uses a Callaway GI 2i (hit's that thing a mile) - I bet he could kill a lot of snakes.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I pull mine out in thunderstorms only. It's completely safe - not even God can hit a 2 iron. :)

thought it was a 1i lol?

Are 2 irons really that hard to hit???

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

thought it was a 1i lol?

Assuming you can hit your 3 iron well, then no, they're not so bad. A smidgen harder than hitting a 3 iron, just like the 3 iron compared to a 4 iron.

2-irons are like drivers though - you gotta have the right one for your swing. A lie angle too flat or upright and a shaft too stiff or whippy are all ingredients in the recipe for disaster. Why am I one of the 2-iron advocates? In the early 90's I learned to hit one properly and a whole new type of golf course became playable for me - target golf courses and prairie links style with tight fairways and prevalent crosswinds. I enjoyed golf on some courses that, based solely on my handicap, were over my head.

There's too much fear of the 2 iron. I have an old McGreggor 2 iron from the 60s I use to practice (and sometimes carry it on the course), and it is far from forgiving, but it's not hard to put a good, easy swing on it. I do, however, have a freakish love of long irons (irons IMO are easier to hit than woods). If you can compress the ball with it, then the 2 iron will be fairly easy to hit. If you don't, then a hybrid will be lightyears ahead of the 2 iron.

However, there's a slight caveat here. The other side of the argument has merit as well. Even tour players often prefer hybrids or fairway woods, even in windy conditions. No matter how good you are (and I'm certainly not that good), the 2 iron can reach up and bite you. Even Tiger gave up his 2 iron in favor of a 5 wood. Despite huge advances in clubmaking, the 2 iron still is a hard club to hit.

In the end, go with what you are most comfortable with.

I bought a set of used MP52s from a guy a couple months ago. He had Mizuno "make" a 2iron for him (they don't make an actual 2iron anymore). It's a +.5", +3* 3iron. I messed around with it at the range just for kicks. I didn't even really try it off the turf. I hit a lot of fades with it, but once in awhile I'd nut it and it was a very pretty middle trajectory flight with slight draw. Doesn't get immediately in the air like a hybrid, it's a slower climb to apex, I'd say 230ish when well struck. I'd like to mess around with it some more and maybe try it on short par 4s, but I'd definitely say it's quite a bit tougher to hit then my 20* hybrid.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

I play a 2 iron, would I recommend it to 90% of players? probably not.
The truth is if your good enough to use a 2 iron you can probably hit the same shots with your 3 iron anyway.

I have found that I come unstuck with the 2 iron when I have somthing like a 220 yard carry over something, an awkward distance to take 30 yards off a 3 wood but too long to consistantly have a go with the 2 iron.

Hybrids are the way forward.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Note: This thread is 2070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!