IGNORED

golf ball safe as teething device

mtsalmela80
Note: This thread is 5204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there anything toxic to any degree about the outside of a golf ball. Would it be safe for an infant to chew on one? Obviously he cannot pierce the outer layer with only his first two bottom teeth.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it should be completely safe
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

Dude, just freeze a bagel and let the kid gnaw. My son loves it. And he laughs his head off when daddy takes a bite of the same bagel!

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Is there anything toxic to any degree about the outside of a golf ball. Would it be safe for an infant to chew on one? Obviously he cannot pierce the outer layer with only his first two bottom teeth.

Can't you just get the kid a real teething ring?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

IMO using anything not designed and tested for use as a teething toy is a really bad idea. Why take a chance?

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I would not let children chew on anything not meant to be chewed on. It's also hard and rather unpractical for chewing.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Only if it has been used for at least 18 holes.

Seriously dude, wtf?

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Reading through it's obvious some of these people don't have kids... I wouldn't have a problem with it, especially considering what else they put in their mouths.

I would just make sure it's a new ball (wouldn't want the chemcial traces from the course), and I would wash it first...

My kid wouldn't touch a teething ring, every single child is different.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Reading through it's obvious some of these people don't have kids... I wouldn't have a problem with it, especially considering what else they put in their mouths.

I do, in fact, have kids, and I think it's a bad idea. They put all kinds of things in their mouths, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to encourage it. Two things in particular about golf balls trouble me: the plastics and the shape. With all the noise about plastics and toxicity lately, I try to minimize the quantity of random plastic stuff that spends a lot of time being chewed on. As for the shape, if their mouth is big enough to get a satisfying chomp on it, I'd worry about it getting stuck.

In the bag:

Not if the kid swallows it -- no way!

The kid's mouth might look little, but their eyes are big, bigger than their tummy as the saying goes. No on the ball.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

I do, in fact, have kids, and I think it's a bad idea. They put all kinds of things in their mouths, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to encourage it. Two things in particular about golf balls trouble me: the plastics and the shape. With all the noise about plastics and toxicity lately, I try to minimize the quantity of random plastic stuff that spends a lot of time being chewed on. As for the shape, if their mouth is big enough to get a satisfying chomp on it, I'd worry about it getting stuck.

So you dont let your kids chew on any of their infant toys, that are ALL made of plastic? Also, there is no freaking way a baby is fitting a golf ball in their mouth. I have to carefully aim to get a spoon of cereal in there now.

If you are just talking in general for something your kids to chew on, I don't see the harm in it. My daughter has chewed on all kinds of stuff. Some of you need to come back to reality, kids are going to put things they shouldn't in their mouth and they are going to chew on things they shouldn't.

Now if you are talking to give your kid to help with the pain of teething, then i would probably go another route. However if they just pick up the golf ball and chew on it, it is not the end of the world, but i wouldn't openly encourage it.

If you are looking for solutions to teething pain, this is the best thing on the market

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

So you dont let your kids chew on any of their infant toys, that are ALL made of plastic? Also, there is no freaking way a baby is fitting a golf ball in their mouth. I have to carefully aim to get a spoon of cereal in there now.

Infant toys are intended to be safe for chewing. Not all plastics are the identical, and some are decidedly toxic. I don't know the properties of the material they use for golf balls, or the treatment that is applied to the outside, so I'm not going to assume it's safe.

As for fitting it in, maybe or maybe not, I haven't measured. But I don't see how you'd think of a golf ball as a teething device if it doesn't fit in...
If you are just talking in general for something your kids to chew on, I don't see the harm in it. My daughter has chewed on all kinds of stuff. Some of you need to come back to reality, kids are going to put things they shouldn't in their mouth and they are going to chew on things they shouldn't.

That's exactly what I'm saying: I wouldn't encourage it because it's not intended (or particularly well suited) for teething. If the baby/toddler gets ahold of it and is sucking/chewing on it, I'd take it away, but I'm not advocating panicking and calling poison control. The OP sounded to me like he was contemplating giving his kid a golf ball with that in mind, which IMO is a bad idea.

In the bag:

The best 2 things I used with my son were frozen waffles and a strip of the cloth type belts. The waffles have built in spit pockets and are rough enough to feel good on the kiddos mouth and those nylon belt strips were what my mother and her mother always used. (both military families so these belts were in abundance)

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

Infant toys are intended to be safe for chewing. Not all plastics are the identical, and some are decidedly toxic. I don't know the properties of the material they use for golf balls, or the treatment that is applied to the outside, so I'm not going to assume it's safe.

Yes that was the entire point of this thread, to see if anyone knew whether or not the outside of a golfball is toxic to some degree.

if your kid is chewin on your ball...that's a wat...lateral hazard? unplayable lie? lol i'm voting no for a teething apparatus

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Note: This thread is 5204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!