IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

I was trying not to make the club head go to inward at A2. I went back to the feeling more turn and less arms to A3, with a little more umbrella feel. 

I'm trying very hard to get my right side through more with the driver. Still a struggle to keep myself from standing up out of the swing. 

Pitching was better. I went back to chipping first, just to feel a more torso driven motion. I need to trust in using more speed. 

Putting was better as well. I find that when my eyes track the putter head, I make much more solid contact. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played much better tonight in my work golf league. Not the hardest course. 7/9 greens in regulation.

One thing that worked out well for me is feeling / keeping a slight more pressure in my lead foot with also a slight more feeling of the knee being bent more. This helped me take out the few groove thing shots I was hitting and my driver was spot on.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Total 180 deg. today, sadly. 

Shallow to steep, struggling to get enough turn. The standing up with the driver just pisses me off. Hitting more fat and thin shots (see face on).

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Not to go to far down the rabbit hole, but this seems relevant maybe to my struggles. It does feel like my short irons and wedges are good compared to the mid to long irons. 

The ball looks to far back for a 6 iron. 

IMG_1037.PNG

Does the head looking away from the ball at A4 cause an issue? I do feel like I loose site of the ball. 

IMG_1040.PNG

The head has slid forward at A5 and the upper body. Now the ball is relatively further back. I probably can't turn through or I might miss the ball or top it. 

IMG_1039.PNG

I feel like I need to fix these to make it easier on me to do what I need to do. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Trying to work on not standing up in the golf swing. Slow progress. 

With the driver I worked more on controlling the backswing. I found a bit of success taking a backswing that feels 10% as fast going back as normal. I want to try to control the momentum of the golf club so it doesn't oversewing as bad. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes tonight for a work league. Got to network :) 

I shot 40, but that was with 2-3 three putts (I can't remember off hand). Overall I hit the ball pretty good. 

The slower backswings helped out a lot. It helps with letting me feel the backswing length. It controls the momentum of the golf club to help stop the over swinging. While practicing the other day, and a few other times in the past, I noticed when I over swing I can feel the club pull my arms more while my body stops rotating. I sometimes stop my swing entirely if I feel that. Swinging slowly helps a lot in stopping that type of motion.  

On the course I focused on two backswing. First, keep looking at the ball while I take the club back. I have a bad tendency to turn to look at the club moving back. Second, the slow backswing piece. The downswing is still trying to turn better through the ball. 

Going forward with practicing, I am still going to focus on shortening the driver backswing and get the club flatter at A3.5-A4 or just not let the club tip across the line at A4 for all the clubs. I still am going to work on getting my body to turn better with out losing my angles. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Question,  is the right hip much too high here?  It looks like a possibility that the tilts are not right.  The high right hip due to the right leg not regaining flexion coming down seems to screw up the hip turn in comparison to a pro.  

IMG_1609.thumb.PNG.cb9ff169364d6b4fec2bc768484c57a0.PNG

• Administrator

I don't understand. Why are you talking about his right hip? That's not "swinging the clubhead." That's thinking about a body part.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Question,  is the right hip much too high here?  It looks like a possibility that the tilts are not right.  The high right hip due to the right leg not regaining flexion coming down seems to screw up the hip turn in comparison to a pro.  

That is quite possibly true. It is something I am working on. Obviously the hips are not working correctly. As to the remedy, I am not sure. It is something I will need to keep working at to figure out a good feel for the motion I need. It might be related to trying to keep more flex in the hips and knees, or it might be something else. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Well I had two swings today at the range where the turn was better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

35 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Well I had two swings today at the range where the turn was better. 

I'm assuming you walked up, made two (good) swings, did a club twirl, and then walked off the range. ;-)

- John

@iacas, just some simple set up questions. 

So, is my weight to far back on my heels here? It just looks like it. 

IMG_1073.PNG

It looks like my left hand grip is weak and my right hand grip is strong. 

IMG_1071.PNG

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

If I may, I'd say your grip looks strong in both hands, so it seems fine. Your stance does look very slightly heel heavy. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

IMG_1071.PNG

Both look strong to me. The left hand would be more palmar flexed if it was weak.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Both look strong to me. The left hand would be more palmar flexed if it was weak.

Thats a good point. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

@iacas, just some simple set up questions. 

So, is my weight to far back on my heels here? It just looks like it. 

IMG_1073.PNG

Maybe a little? I don't see it very much, and the camera is slightly tilted too, right? But yeah, a little, I'd buy that.

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

IMG_1071.PNG

That one I don't think I'd go along with. I think your left hand line is farther left (from this view) than you've drawn it. You can see two full knuckles on your left hand.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe a little? I don't see it very much, and the camera is slightly tilted too, right? But yeah, a little, I'd buy that.

That one I don't think I'd go along with. I think your left hand line is farther left (from this view) than you've drawn it. You can see two full knuckles on your left hand.

Yea, the camera might have been tilted. I've been using the JOBY adjustable grip camera stand for the iPhone. It's a little tricky not having the camera angle be slightly off like that. 

Ok, I won't worry about the grip. I might make it a brief thought in the set up for not letting the weight settle far back on the heels. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Backswing 
1. Keep eyes on ball for the entire backswing, do not follow the club head back. It just helps a lot. It cleans up the consistency. 
2. Keep it shorter (Always :-D).
3. Still need to work on a flattening feel. 

Downswing
1. Keep eyes on ball longer in the downswing. More-so I want to get the turn going while keeping my head steadier. Similar to the pitching issues I had, I think. 
2. Right side, right hip through works best. Though in some instances feeling the left going behind me has worked, just not as consistent. Feeling like the arms stay still at A4, while I try to feel my right side through also works.

Some Issues
1. The amount of error from a good shot to a fat shot is small. 
2. Sometimes I will hit these straight slices. Though I feel the handle of the club go down an in quickly after contact. These shots are not overly common, but they can pop up. 

Overall not too bad. I was able hit some decent shots at slower swing speeds. If I do that I need to feel the arms staying put at A4 while I try to turn. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag