IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Range session today

Did multiple slow backswing work.

I tried to get a better understanding on the feel that produces the better downswing for me. It might be a timing piece. I do feel a pause at the top of the swing. There is also a feel on how I should turn that seems to work the best. When I do it right, I can swing out to the ball better and not tip back. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played 9 holes

i felt like I made decent backswings. I couldn’t slow the downswing down to where I wanted to. Too fast and to much tipping away from the target in. 

Pitching was a mixed bag. I’m still catching too many on the toe. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Went to the range after golf tonight. 

Made 2-3 very slow backswings to practice. When I went to hit the ball, I tried to make a good backswing, and worked on making a slower downswing. I worked on trying to make the slowest downswing possible and get good contact. The results were much better than on the course. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Worked on my driver at the range today.

Tried to make a good backswing. My focus was more on slowing down the downswing and not letting myself tip back. I started to figure out what feel I need to do this. Right now it's turning down and swinging out at the ball. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Range session

Backswing - feels like it’s going well. I just need to keep my eyes on the ball. I tend to track the club going back. Not sure this is a bad thing. Just noticing it. 

Downswing - I still get a bit stuck when I the downswing gets fast. Worked on trying to slow it down. It’s getting easier to do, but it takes a lot of concentration right now. I’m still not sure what feel produces the best results. I think it might be the right shoulder starting the downswing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes

Driver was much better

Irons were not good. Contact was OK, but direction was off. I am blocking my irons way right

Short Game was not good. Just inconsistent distance control. A lot of the pitches end up off the toe.

Putting was not good, missed two putts inside 5 FT. Pulled them left. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

Played in a scramble today. Struggled with my downswing. Timing is way off. 

Chip and short pitches are duffs and off the toe. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went up to Erie, PA for a bit of practice today. 

Chipping - More of a putting stroke, rocking the shoulders. 

Pitching - Try to take the right hand out of hit more. Let the weight of the club and the pivot produce the speed. 

Full Swing - Keep working on same stuff. The hip turn looks better. Downswing needs to be slower, and be more right shoulder covering the ball (stay in tilt). This happens a lot easier, and more naturally with a slower swing. Slower backswing equals shorter backswing. Which is always good for me. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Pretty good range session

did 3-4 backswing slow motion. Then tried to make a slower downswing. Working on stayin in my tilt better and covering the ball with my right shoulder. 

At the end I hit 10-15 shots in a row where my 6 iron went 125-130 yards starting just right of target with little to no draw. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Pretty good range session

did 3-4 backswing slow motion. Then tried to make a slower downswing. Working on stayin in my tilt better and covering the ball with my right shoulder. 

At the end I hit 10-15 shots in a row where my 6 iron went 125-130 yards starting just right of target with little to no draw. 

Good to hear.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It was maximum effort to try to hit a 6 iron slow enough so that it goes 120ish. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It was maximum effort to try to hit a 6 iron slow enough so that it goes 120ish. 

Yeah. That’s half your normal distance. ;-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Played 9 tonight. 

Did not have one hook shot. Just keep the ball moving towards the green. I struggle a bit with distance control on my chips and pitching. They were all just a few yards too long. 

I like seeing some good results on the course. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Sounds like another step in the right direction.

Definitely

I decided to switch up my preshot routine to focus more on a slower and better downswing transition. It felt like it helped out a lot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

18 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Definitely

I decided to switch up my preshot routine to focus more on a slower and better downswing transition. It felt like it helped out a lot. 

Do you ever change your swing thought during a round based on what your feeling? Or should you try and be consistent with it for practice.

Edited by Grizvok

2 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

Do you ever change your swing thought during a round based on what your feeling? Or should you try and be consistent with it for practice.

Not really

Right now I know what is working. I know what to expect when I don't do what want well enough. What I am trying to do is not 100% baked in yet, and may never been 100%. I had 15+ years of golf were I didn't do this stuff.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag