IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Nice round. That must have felt pretty good to score that well when you didn't feel like you were hitting it as good as your capable of hitting it. I must have misse how you got your wedge yardages. Care to elaborate? You can just send me a pm if you want. I need to be better at my 105-50 yard shots.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice round. That must have felt pretty good to score that well when you didn't feel like you were hitting it as good as your capable of hitting it. I must have misse how you got your wedge yardages. Care to elaborate? You can just send me a pm if you want. I need to be better at my 105-50 yard shots.

Pg 37 - 39 in "Lowest Score Wins"

Yea, misses for me are not big as the use to be. Really its just solid feel type stuff. So things might be a slight toe here, or a slight thin shot. My nGIR are pretty high, usually 7-9 per 9 holes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Can't speak for @saevel25 , but I have a hard time taking satisfaction from a good score that was accomplished with bad ball striking. There's something so special about hitting the sweet spot that it's like a drug that kinda overshadows score for me. I'd rather shoot a 95 with a lot of beautiful feeling impacts than shoot a 90 with clanky thins and desperate scrambling. That may just be me though.

Edit* Obviously I'm talking about me, lol, I just implied that that 90 is good score. Ha Ha, man I suck. :8)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Can't speak for @saevel25, but I have a hard time taking satisfaction from a good score that was accomplished with bad ball striking. There's something so special about hitting the sweet spot that it's like a drug that kinda overshadows score for me. I'd rather shoot a 45 with a lot of beautiful feeling impacts than shoot a 42 with clanky thins and desperate scrambling. That may just be me though.

Depends really. I know for me, if my contact is good, I'll shoot good. I just know I have better shots I could have made tonight than I did. The tee shots for 11-13 were so bad. They were just swings that were just outright lazy. So I just have disappointments in the round, but ended up scoring decently. I missed a three 10 footers tonight.

Just me thinking of what my optimal score was, and were I can improve. Mostly I still need to be aggressive with my swing, and better putting.

Really if I shot a 36 while having 100% up and down 8 times, I rather take that then shooting a 42 with better contact and a lot of three putting. To me its just too frustrating squandering a good round of ball striking by three putting a lot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Can't speak for @saevel25, but I have a hard time taking satisfaction from a good score that was accomplished with bad ball striking. There's something so special about hitting the sweet spot that it's like a drug that kinda overshadows score for me. I'd rather shoot a 45 with a lot of beautiful feeling impacts than shoot a 42 with clanky thins and desperate scrambling. That may just be me though.

Depends really. I know for me, if my contact is good, I'll shoot good. I just know I have better shots I could have made tonight than I did. The tee shots for 11-13 were so bad. They were just swings that were just outright lazy. So I just have disappointments in the round, but ended up scoring decently. I missed a three 10 footers tonight.

Just me thinking of what my optimal score was, and were I can improve. Mostly I still need to be aggressive with my swing, and better putting.

Really if I shot a 36 while having 100% up and down 8 times, I rather take that then shooting a 42 with better contact and a lot of three putting. To me its just too frustrating squandering a good round of ball striking by three putting a lot.

3 putt? Ew, gross.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

Matt, those tee shots won't help you much at WW. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Matt, those tee shots won't help you much at WW. :)

Why not? The pull draw, maybe not. The two push draws and push would work. No hook! The chunks were bad, not sure why that happened. I haven't done that in a very long time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Why not? The pull draw, maybe not. The two push draws and push would work. No hook! The chunks were bad, not sure why that happened. I haven't done that in a very long time.

Does this mean the left side of WW is bad news? I might be in BIG trouble then. O.O

- Shane

Does this mean the left side of WW is bad news? I might be in BIG trouble then. O.O

No, its indiscriminate :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Backswing is looking much better in the video above. I am liking the backswing length and the clubhead is traveling way less inside than before. I still think I can stand further away from the ball. Just nitpicking a bit there. Hips can still be more open. Might be time to switch more % of priority to the hips at impact, than the backswing piece. :-D

Nit picking again, but a slightly wider stance. Easy fix if i actually pay attention more. Impact is looking much better.

Driver swing above. The feel for this swing is, half swing in the backswing. Notice how it is parallel!!! Could probably look down at the ball more.

Again could be a tad wider, not too bad. I really like the swing there. Just looks in balance and powerful. Still the hips more open at impact.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Hi Matt,

Usually don't comment much on swings but have been following your thread and these probably look the best so far. My sense of positions and path is not that good but I think I it seems the most 'unified' I have seen on your thread so far, i.e, hips not outpacing arms, etc.

Looking forward to meeting it at WW.

V

Vishal S.

Shot a 39 + 45 = 84 (+12) on a 74.4 rating 126 slope course, 7100 yards. Score Differential was 8.6.

The word of the day for this round LEFT!!! I don't know how I go from hitting it well on the range yesterday, not one fricken hook. I got out and hook the driver, and my irons.

Driver: Hook, Hook, Heely Cut, Hook, Hook, Straight Draw, Push Draw, Hook, Straight Fade, Straight Draw, Straight Fade, Push Draw, Push Fade, Hook

6 Hooks

2 Straight Draw

2 Straight Fade

2 Push Draw

1 Push Fade

Just terrible, I have no idea were the hooks came from.

Putting is horrible, I had 33 putts. No three putts. Shockingly I was good with in 5 feet. I was horrible otherwise. I wasn't even close to making a putt.

Pitching was horrible. Same issue, I just don't hit the ball first. I duffed a 50 yard pitch shot into pond. I almost duffed one into a bunker. Just not authority with those shots. When I do hit them with some speed I end up pulling them left all the time.

Not good going into the golf outing up in Erie, PA next weekend. Got lots of work to do.

In the end I think it still is my backswing length. A lot of my drives didn't feel like half swing feels. I was worried about the hook, and trying to figure that out, I just didn't think about it till afterwards.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

So those 5 decent drives in there were from using the feel of throwing the boulder. I know Erik has posted that video before, the one were Dave is throwing a pretty big stone. To do so you have to use your torso and core to chuck it. The typical feel of firing the hips was not working. So I decided to try that out, and feel like I wanted to throw my club up and to the left (instead of a bolder). This seemed to work really well. I just couldn't pull it off consistently after the first 5 drives.

I'll be heading to the range a few times this week to work on this. If I have a hook going into next weekend, I'll hit 4 iron off ever tee at Whispering Woods. I rather take the stroke lost on distance from the hole, than loose stroke and distance on balls hit into the trees or OB.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

So those 5 decent drives in there were from using the feel of throwing the boulder. I know Erik has posted that video before, the one were Dave is throwing a pretty big stone. To do so you have to use your torso and core to chuck it. The typical feel of firing the hips was not working. So I decided to try that out, and feel like I wanted to throw my club up and to the left (instead of a bolder). This seemed to work really well. I just couldn't pull it off consistently after the first 5 drives.

I'll be heading to the range a few times this week to work on this. If I have a hook going into next weekend, I'll hit 4 iron off ever tee at Whispering Woods. I rather take the stroke lost on distance from the hole, than loose stroke and distance on balls hit into the trees or OB.

Maybe hit hybrid off the tee, that worked wonderfully for me today. Averaged 260 *using shanes gps and/or range finder*, even had one out to about 285 with a some wind at the back. I imagine you could do the same or better than that. Keeps you in short iron/wedge range most of the time on par 4s at least.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Maybe hit hybrid off the tee, that worked wonderfully for me today. Averaged 260 *using shanes gps and/or range finder*, even had one out to about 285 with a some wind at the back. I imagine you could do the same or better than that. Keeps you in short iron/wedge range most of the time on par 4s at least.

You're welcome. ;-)

- Shane

You're welcome.

Nah, everything was hooking, all clubs. Then I was pulling my shorter irons. So that would not have helped me much, other than be offline and lack of distance. If my whole game is messed up, I rather take my chances with getting a lucky break, and be closer to the green.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

You're welcome.

Yes, thanks Shane, it was a good suggestion. Just paying it forward!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter