IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just don't go too far down the rabbit hole. Again. :-)

I'll keep it focused on the trying to get the club inside the traffic cone in the downswing. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another day at the range. The back swing stuff is easier to implement now. I still got to think about it or I revert back a bit. 

I went back to an older lesson where I would feel more chest turn away from the targetn for the backswing. 

The downswing stuff is still a struggle. I've been using the torc to help feel the weight and the club shallowing, but it's not sticking. I just want to throw my hands and shoulders out, steepening the club. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Back at the range today. 

I like the backswing feel of turning the chest away from the target sooner, feeling it from A1 to A3. Having it feel like it is pointing down towards the ground at A3. From there I can feel the club more in front of me and I can get it in a more upright position (pointing it up and behind me more). 

The downswing is still a struggle. I went to this thread last week to read up on a few feels.

Just swinging out isn't helping. The video my swing shows me sending my right shoulder and arms out, steepening the golf club. I've been trying this one, 

My favorite, because it works pretty well for me (came up with it on the golf course while practicing #2), is to feel like my right shoulder gets as far away from my right ear as possible starting at P3.8. Firmer wrists help - if the clubhead is flopping around it'll tend to tip out a little as the swing gets a bit sloppy-long. This works because, again, your upper arm doesn't collapse or expand, so if you drive the right shoulder down the elbow will go down as well.

This move seems to work out well so far. I like the feeling of driving that right shoulder down. I also like how it keeps me from losing my spine angle in the DTL view. I am going to go with this for now and see how it goes. What I really like is that it helps a lot with my distance wedges. I was hitting some weak cut wedges. Yes, I was moving the wedges left to right with a noticeable cut. Doing this right shoulder down straightened that out immediately. 

The driver is a mess. I am hitting the ball way too high. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I got a chance to try the new feels on the course. 

The backswing feel I think is working well. I Need to be much more focused on it with the longer clubs. Much easier to get lazy at the top of the backswing. 

The downswing feel needs work, but I am liking the right shoulder feel right now. 

Pitching as good then bad. What has worked for me with the pitching is feeling the pivot with the torso and chest. 

My distance wedges were bad, I was just lazy and non committal on them. At the range I was much more aggressive with my downswing move versus this evening. 

Putting was solid. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I got through 11 holes before the cart died. It was the little cart that couldnt, but at least it got me back to the clubhouse. 

The golf game is a mixed bag. Things are not consistent with what I want to do in the long game. I would say it is 60% me and 40% good. The short game is still the same though I hit a handful of halfway decent shots when I focused more on speeding up the pitching. Putting is OK. 

With the long game it is over swinging and the not doing my right shoulder feel good enough. Lots of work to do to get the game sharper. 

I still like the impact and flight of feeling the right shoulder going down at A4

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Off the tee and the irons were better today. 

I need to spend a good 30 minutes refreshing myself on Aimpoint.

Short game is what it is :~(

Just to add something to my two things I am working on. Feeling a firmer left wrist at A3.5. Trying to feel less of the club dropping over my shoulders. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Updated swings

DTL View

FO View

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I like your swing bro. I've been working on a similar feeling with the right shoulder shooting down along with the hips opening.

Colin P.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:02 PM, saevel25 said:

The driver is a mess. I am hitting the ball way too high. 

I have noticed since really focusing on the correct hip turn/weight forward while keeping a steady head that the height of my drives have really increased and killed my distance a bit. I generally hit the ball high anyway but they were really getting up there yesterday.  What do you contribute your high driver ball flight to at the moment? 

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Played 36 holes today. 

The day started out struggling at warmup on the range. The primary issue is that I couldn't get the swing out at the ball feel to work. I ended flipping the club way too much. Contact was a struggle. Which was shocking to me. I wasn't struggling this much before. 

On the course I struggled a ton with the driver, 3-wood and hybrid off the tee. Lots of straight/pull hooks. Even when I tried opening up the club I still hit these hooks. I need to figure this out on the range. 

The irons were either decent or flippy. I ended up with low groove thinnish shots over hitting the ball fat. Which is the better option of flipping at the ball than hitting fat shots. It seemed the more I tried to swing out the more I would flip at it. Which tells me I am just not doing it right. I will set up my golf bag with the alignment stick tomorrow at the range before playing. I need to get my good contact back with my irons at least. 

Short game was better, primarily with in 15-20 yards of the green. Bunker shots were really good and the finesse flop shots. Putting was fantastic. Distance wedges were a mix bag. I just need to keep working on my technique and trusting the pivot. I know a few of my bad shots were from looking up to pivot over pivoting with my torso. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
14 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The irons were either decent or flippy. I ended up with low groove thinnish shots over hitting the ball fat. Which is the better option of flipping at the ball than hitting fat shots. It seemed the more I tried to swing out the more I would flip at it. Which tells me I am just not doing it right. I will set up my golf bag with the alignment stick tomorrow at the range before playing. I need to get my good contact back with my irons at least.

Remember it's more about the left arm depth.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
14 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Played 36 holes today. 

The day started out struggling at warmup on the range. The primary issue is that I couldn't get the swing out at the ball feel to work. I ended flipping the club way too much. Contact was a struggle. Which was shocking to me. I wasn't struggling this much before. 

On the course I struggled a ton with the driver, 3-wood and hybrid off the tee. Lots of straight/pull hooks. Even when I tried opening up the club I still hit these hooks. I need to figure this out on the range. 

Short game was better, primarily with in 15-20 yards of the green. Bunker shots were really good and the finesse flop shots. Putting was fantastic. Distance wedges were a mix bag. I just need to keep working on my technique and trusting the pivot. I know a few of my bad shots were from looking up to pivot over pivoting with my torso. 

I'm sure you have looked at this but I catch myself getting stuck when trying to swing out at the ball sometimes. My hips/body will stop turning because I am focused on that outward swing causing me to get stuck and flip or let the arms takeover the swing rather than the body and cause me to pull the ball, especially with my woods.  Just a thought...

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Remember it's more about the left arm depth.

Ok, that makes sense with helping gaining room to swing out at the ball

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Struggling to find solid contact on my iron shots. I still think I am flipping. Contact area feels fast and out of control right now. It's really effecting all of my partial wedge shots as well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Struggling to find solid contact on my iron shots. I still think I am flipping. Contact area feels fast and out of control right now. It's really effecting all of my partial wedge shots as well. 

Matt, c'mon now… this is well within the range of things you should be able to fix for yourself.

Get to the range. Make half swings focusing on maintaining the flying wedge at and after impact. Slowly lengthen them out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Get to the range. Make half swings focusing on maintaining the flying wedge at and after impact. Slowly lengthen them out.

Ok. I'll do that. 

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Matt, c'mon now… this is well within the range of things you should be able to fix for yourself.

I was trying to. I was clubbing up and looking for just solid contact. 

The flying wedge concept didn't pop into my head. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Take this with a grain of salt because you are better than I am...

You worry too much.  Sometimes a bad swing will happen.  No ones perfect.

Theres no need to constantly rate yourself day to day or swing to swing.  At some point it's helped me to ignore bad and focus on the feeling of the good ones while stressing less on day to day.

My advice is lighten up Francis.  It's not the end of the world if you are not striping every shot.  You never will.

Give yourself credit.  You are a very fine golfer.  In reality a pro is not going to be there at every moment when things are coming off the rails a bit.  In this case there's no choice but to run what you brung and get through it to the next round.

Wag more bark less.

• Upvote 1

Yea, there is something to that. I'm probably way too hard on my game. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag