IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I will note that my allergies were so bad yesterday. My head was in a fog/haze the entire round and everything just felt off. It felt like my balance was off a lot.

Isn't Ohio grand?

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

An Update

Backswing - I am ditching the flatter feel. I am trying to get to a flat position and I end up just flipping the clubhead way inside from A1. My new backswing feel is just feeling like I stay over the ball and maintain a steadier head. I am also trying to keep it shorter as usual. 

Downswing - I am trying to cut out how straight my arms get into impact. I am trying to introduce a bit of right elbow flex. So, I am going back to an older swing feel of squishing my right side a bit. I am going to try this out with working on the shoulder pitch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Practiced a bit today.

Backswing - Keep chest over the ball more. It feels like my left arm goes up more. I also try to feel my backswing is slowing down into A4

Downswing - feel like I’m squishing something between my hip and right side of my stomach while turning forward. 

Practiced a bit today.

Backswing - Keep chest over the ball more. It feels like my left arm goes up more. I also try to feel my backswing is slowing down into A4

Downswing - feel like I’m squishing something between my hip and right side of my stomach while turning forward. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Worked on my driver at the range today. Things went well. I focused on doing 4-5 short backswings then, a practice short backswing over the ball, and then try to hit the ball solid feeling the shorter backswing. The key for me is to maintain looking at the ball while doing my backswing and keeping it short. When I do this everything just works out really well. 

Similar to my last post. Look at the ball, turn with chest more over the ball. Then turn shallower in the downswing. 

I also found out that I am aiming a good 15 yards right on every shot. When I put down a club to line up to, It felt like I was going to hit the ball way left. Once I got use to this things worked out good. I found my divots are way shallower now. I was working on hitting some partial 52 degree and full wedge shots as well. No divots with the driver 😉 

Edited by saevel25
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

👍

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2643773_yVDSoun0.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

I honestly am lucky to shoot a 38. I didn’t strike the ball well off the tee, but knew the course well enough to not get hurt by it. My irons were not solid at all.

I am still struggling aiming way right. Like I think right side off the green on a 150 shot is center. I need some serious retraining on alignment. 

I mostly struggled with my good downswing turn. I was super stalled with the driver hitting big push cuts. I was a bit flippy with my irons.  

It took me to the last hole to figure out the swing feel for a good solid strike. 

Right shoulder, right hip, right elbow through impact at the same time with a more squished right side feeling. 

My short game was good.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Right shoulder, right hip, right elbow through impact at the same time with a more squished right side feeling. 

This squish feeling happens really early in the downswing. Just a note to myself since I was  thinking more about it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Range Session - Primarily Driver

Wedge DTL

Wedge DTL - Trying to be a bit more vertical with the club at A3. Still a bit of squishy the right hip and drive the right side thru better. 

Driver - The Bad!!!

Driver - Took me all range session to figure out a shorter swing feel. 

1. Slower takeaway with less focus on hand/arm movement
  2. Feel like it's a chippy motion feel. Feel like half the amount of shoulder turn/pivot

AND

The only things I am struggling with now is trying to get the right side through and staying a bit over the ball when I turn. I tend to stand up and drop the club too far on the inside. The shorter turn doesn't feel like I got enough time to turn. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just some screenshots of the better (shorter) driver swing...

A1 to A1.5 - Not sure if this is an issue, but it is something that I have noticed in previous videos. I tend to turn my shoulders flat to start the backswing. This causes my head to move away from the ball. At worst it causes me to flip the club inside around A2. In this case, I am able to not have this happen.

A1.png

A1.5.png

A4 - Pretty good.

A4.png

A7 - When compared to my head position at A1.5-ish, the head stays steady, but the entire upper body is standing up away from the ball from A4 to A7. Mostly due to the tush moving forward. This is probably more of my right side stuff. I feel like it's tough to get that feeling to work because the shorter swing feels super quick. It's hard to time up right now. From A4 thru impact, It just feels like I stand up really soon and turn.

A7.png

Summary

• Backswing - I like where it is at when I focus making a slow turn, stay over the ball more when turning, and try to feel the turn be less / keep the arms from continuing on past my turn.
  • Downswing - I need to figure out how to stay over the ball more, and turn my right side through better.

Things are a bit erratic at the range in terms of ball flight. I don't have a sense at all of what the ball will be doing. Right now I am hitting slight pushes when I hit one good. I am not sure what will happen if I do my right side stuff better.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Got to play 2 holes today. 

I like that my intent felt a lot like my practice a few days ago. 

Backswing - Be super aware of alignment. Make a shorter pivot feel and feel the club swing shorter. I also like to feel that the right elbow stays under my hand more. 

Downswing - Just make a good turn. Not much here. I’ll wait on the next practice session to find a feel for shoulder pitch. 

On putting, I’m trying to be a bit more right elbow tucked into my side and keeping it there. I find I aim better and strike the ball more consistently.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Current Driver - DTL

Practice with Driver
Backswing Focus - Shorter backswing
Downswing Focus - Trying to get the arms down sooner, and turn the right shoulder through more. The feels like my arms and body are creating space as I turn. I'm trying to turn staying over the ball more. 

Backswing Comments - I need to keep the club from continuing on past my rotation. Maybe feeling like my hands are further away from my body will help it. Overall, I like what is going on there. 
Downswing Comments - I like the turn. I might be a bit stuck here, so the amount of turn is necessary.  I could still be a bit more bent over at impact. Shoulder pitch could be better. 

Current FO Driver

Backswing - I like it. The swing length was good. I don't slide my hips towards the target at the top of the backswing. I like the set up position. 

Downswing - Not much here I can talk about. I don't analyze my FO view much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Another range session

7 iron - Current

7 iron - Practice

Set up - Trying to set up a bit taller and further away from the ball. 
Backswing - Trying to turn with a bit more shoulder tilt to keep the ball from getting to far inside. Also trying to feel the club pause at the top of the swing to set up the timing for the downswing. Also to try to keep the club from getting floppy at the top. 
Downswing - Just trying to turn more flat. This is still a major struggle. I might try to feel more left shoulder back and down. 

Overall, for the best contact. A slower backswing, feel a slight pause at the top to control the club. 

Driver - Current

Driver - Practice

Set up - Same as 7 iron, trying to be a bit taller
Backswing - Trying to pivot on a steeper shoulder pitch. Also, feeling a much slower backswing with a pause at the top to feel the club more stable. 
Downswing - Turn through. Still trying to work on the flatter shoulder pitch. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
On 6/29/2019 at 4:52 PM, saevel25 said:

Downswing - Turn through. Still trying to work on the flatter shoulder pitch. 

What are your measurements here? This looks much flatter than what I remember from the last time you were in Erie.

The clubhead is coming in pretty well, in the three videos I saw above (the last 7I, the two drivers). No?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

What are your measurements here? This looks much flatter than what I remember from the last time you were in Erie.

Hmm, that is a good question... :hmm:

The measurement form Erie was 53ish on the good ones. The video from above is around 59ish when the club is at the same spot in the swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Hmm, that is a good question... :hmm:

The measurement form Erie was 53ish on the good ones. The video from above is around 59ish when the club is at the same spot in the swing. 

Yeah. Still a bit more to go but it's working in the right direction, and your driver is better, the rotation through is better, lots of better pieces.

Not "fair" comparing driver to 6I but still, driver is not too bad here.

01.jpg

Played in a scramble today. 

Driver - struggled with controlling face to path. I had one good drive. I think I’m getting stuck. I’m either hooking or hitting big push cuts. 

The feel on the good swing was getting the arms down sooner. Slow backswing, pause at the top a bit, the swing the arms down more with the turn. I couldn’t do this consistently. Everything was tilting back.

Irons - they were not really good. I think same issue with the driver. A lot of them were very weak swipey push cuts. I felt no body turn, hands diving left. 

Pitching and distance wedges - really good. 

I need to find some sort of feel that produces a consistent ball flight. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok, I sweated out a range session after the scramble to figure out what I need to maybe work on. I was just trying to figure out what I was feeling at the scramble versus what I should be feeling more off to produce the image I want. 

Current 6 iron swing, 
On the course, I think the issue is I felt like I was getting stuck. It just felt like I couldn't turn hard enough to make solid contact. 

6 Iron swing with the following feels, 
1. More upright backswing feel, shorter, and a slight pause at the top to set up transition. 
2. For the downswing, it's just making as much turn as possible. 

I like this impact position here, though the shoulders are a tad closed. I am not sure the pitch of the forearms matter here? 

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 5.46.12 PM.png

Here is lost impact at club parallel to the ground. I don't no what causes this shoulder pitch here. I feel like it just needs to be more chest and arms together continuing to turn. IDK. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 5.46.44 PM.png

Current Driver Swing, 
1. OVERSWING CITY!!! 
2. It feel stuck at A6 to A7

Driver with the following feels,
1. SHORTER SWING! This entails feeling a shorter turn, and my hands stopping at my right ear. Just a visual in my head to set up the pause to start transition. 
2. Downswing, just turn. 

This is really really good for me, 

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 5.54.41 PM.png

Things that seem to work out well. 
1. Slower backswings, feel a slight pause at the top to set up a good turn. 
2. Downswing, I still need to figure out how to change that shoulder pitch. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

2. Downswing, I still need to figure out how to change that shoulder pitch. 

Matt, man, do it in REALLY SLOW MOTION and see what you have to do. I'm guessing you're going to feel that your chest keeps going. Your hips keep going, turning.

Your hands get pulled a little bit left.

Do it in a mirror and see what is required.

See what it feels like.