IGNORED

Tiger and Watson to play in US Open

DavidFehertysBike
Note: This thread is 5118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The only way he gets his driving fixed is to play more tournaments.

Unless he gets the driver tee-shot going, not only is he not going to win at Pebble Beach, but he isn't going to win at St Andrews or Whistling Straits either.

And consequently, that 18+ majors target is looking smaller and smaller...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

If he plays some more tournaments between now and then, and sorts out that driver, he has every chance of winning it. Even if his driving is off, I think he'll find a way to be up there, such as sticking his driver back in the bag?

Ben

He was 5 shots off the winner at The Masters, with a driver he hit all over the place and a 3 wood he hit fat. Doesn't take a whole lot of adjustment before he's on top.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He was 5 shots off the winner at The Masters, with a driver he hit all over the place and a 3 wood he hit fat. Doesn't take a whole lot of adjustment before he's on top.

That's the thing people are talking about though. If he hits that driver all over the place, the water is going to gobble it up at Pebble Beach.

Ben

• Administrator
That's the thing people are talking about though. If he hits that driver all over the place, the water is going to gobble it up at Pebble Beach.

He doesn't need driver at Pebble. It's a short course and it'll be firmer in the summer than it is in February. And the rough will be like it always is - fairly tall. Though perhaps a tad shorter this year with the groove rule... tempting more guys to go for shots.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He doesn't need driver at Pebble. It's a short course and it'll be firmer in the summer than it is in February. And the rough will be like it always is - fairly tall. Though perhaps a tad shorter this year with the groove rule... tempting more guys to go for shots.

Oh I know. I was merely saying what the rest were saying about his problems. If you look at my post 1 above his, you'll see I have full confidence that Tiger will find a way to win, and if it means leaving the driver in the bag, then so be it.

Ben

I'll say it right now: Tiger Woods has no chance at victory on a US Open setup, especially not at Pebble Beach. . .

Oh c'mon. NO chance? . . .now that's just downright laughable. I do recall a T2 at Oakmont (2007), a victory at Torrey Pines in 2008 on a bum knee and a T6 at Bethpage last year. You might want to rethink that. I think it's safe to say he'll contend. :)

. . . He won by 15 strokes, the largest margin of victory in the history of major championships. His total 272 strokes ties the all-time low in the US Open, and his -12 is the only double-digit under par score in US Open history. While he might not "own" Pebble, he has won both US Opens he's played at there. He'll be on the top page of the leader board, if not hoisting the US Open trophy on Sunday.

Indeed success breeds success. He'll be confident knowing he's won there before.

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

I give Tiger a 98% chance of winning, Phil 1% and the field gets 1% .

Hilarious.

[Go Tom!]

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Pebble is pretty forgiving for water. The only realy ocean threats are a tee shot on Par 3 #5 pushed well right if the pin is back right, maybe #10 if you really hit the drive way way right, and of course #18. Other holes along the water like #9 aren't much in danger as the tee shot angle is going more inland so the water is largely out of play. On #8 the only water danger is hitting the tee shot too long, but any of these guys know their distances well enough. In general, the water just isn't that scary at Pebble. Of course 18 is a whole story by itself due to the OB right and Stillwater Cove on the left making for what looks like a very narrow margin of error when you stand on that tee box. I'd sure hate to have to pull off that tee shot with a 1 shot lead on the final hole.

The big dangers on Pebble are the rough, the small greens, and the wind. Tiger may find his tee shots in the rough a lot, but he's probably the best at getting it out of there. But personally, I don't think Tiger will be too strong of contender. The Open requires a mental focus more than almost any other tourney, and Tiger doesn't seem to have it together yet - look at his mental lapses at Augusta and that when the pressure was really on he once again became the ill-tempered player of the last couple years.

He won by 15 strokes, the largest margin of victory in the history of major championships. His total 272 strokes ties the all-time low in the US Open, and his -12 is the only double-digit under par score in US Open history. While he might not "own" Pebble, he has won both US Opens he's played at there. He'll be on the top page of the leader board, if not hoisting the US Open trophy on Sunday.

He's only played one U.S. Open there: 2000. His other U.S. Open victories were at Bethpage (2002) and Torrey Pines (2008). Interesting side-note: he's never won a U.S. Open at a private course. However, he won twice at Pebble the year he won the U.S. Open -- a feat that's only been done four times, and he was two of those (the others were Hogan and Nicklaus, and all four were in California).

However, he's not the only T.W. to win a U.S. Open at Pebble Beach, and only one U.S. Open at Pebble has been won by someone whose name doesn't begin with a 'T'.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

He's only played one U.S. Open there: 2000. His other U.S. Open victories were at Bethpage (2002) and Torrey Pines (2008).....

Sorry, you're right.

I'm utterly thrilled to hear this news, going to be attending Saturday and Sunday at the US Open this year. First golf tournament I've been to, and I was really dreading the possibility that Tiger wouldn't show. To have Watson there as well is icing on the cake.

Just because they're playing Thursday and Friday doesn't mean they'll still be around for the weekend.

Rob Tyska

Just because they're playing Thursday and Friday doesn't mean they'll still be around for the weekend.

True, true, but I think the odds that Tiger misses the cut are pretty remote. Harder to say for Watson, but the way he's been playing lately I think it's a good bet he'll be around.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

True, true, but I think the odds that Tiger misses the cut are pretty remote.

A lot of people felt the same way when the Open was at Winged Foot, but it happened.

Rob Tyska

It's a long course anyway, and it'll probably be set up a little longer for the U.S. Open, so I can't see Tom Watson being around at the weekend unfortunately.But he could surprise people.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

A lot of people felt the same way when the Open was at Winged Foot, but it happened.

Yea, but it's still a remote chance of him missing the cut. You can't deny the odds are always against a Tiger Woods 2nd round exit.

Ben

Yea, but it's still a remote chance of him missing the cut. You can't deny the odds are always against a Tiger Woods 2nd round exit.

He went out at turnberry after 2 rounds

He went out at turnberry after 2 rounds

Yes, it seems we've quoted two of the five times in his professional career he's made an early exit. And we've exhausted the list of times he's done it at a major.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 5118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!