IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't really measure. I just hit the ball off the tee and subtract. Couple weeks ago I went 2-iron, 5-iron into a 500yd hole. I dont think there was any wind. Later in the round I hit the 2 on a 400yd hole and had under 100 left in. I did cut the corner a little. Obviously I dont hit it as far from the fairway. But I do tee it up sometimes and that give me another 15yds or so. It's a iron off the tee so I can really rip it. Accuracy really isnt a problem when youre not trying to hit a flag. I don't know.

If you are at altitude and the course has rock hard fairways, I can see this.....in DFW, some of the munis have thin, rock hard fairways this early in the season.....I can hit a little stinger 3iron 250 when the stars align, but typically it's more like 220, with about 190 carry on that low shot that rolls out.....considering corners and doglegs, I'd bet your average is 240-250, which is still a solid knock....

If you are at altitude and the course has rock hard fairways, I can see this.....in DFW, some of the munis have thin, rock hard fairways this early in the season.....I can hit a little stinger 3iron 250 when the stars align, but typically it's more like 220, with about 190 carry on that low shot that rolls out.....considering corners and doglegs, I'd bet your average is 240-250, which is still a solid knock....

With a 2-iron, you may be correct. Hitting a 2-iron isn't quite like hitting a 6 or 7-iron. For every 280 yard pured shot, there are probably a few in the 230-250 range - unless he's a 2-iron hitting machine.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't really measure.

And this is why you think you hit it so far. This is, by far, the worst way to find your distances. Course markers are notoriously bad for judging distance. If I went by course markers, I could drive every 330 yard par 4 out there.

Has anyone else noticed that everyone in this thread who measured via GPS drives it between 200 and 240, while everyone who uses course markers drives it from 270-310? Do you wonder why? When you begin using a GPS, you are truly amazed at how short you drive the ball. You will probably cry for a while. I would hit a drive, and figure it must have been 270, and it measured in a 240. It was a tough learning experience. After a while, I started to realize it wasn't just me. Everyone thinks they drive it farther than they do. 300 yards is phenomenal. Considering that only 3 PGA tour players average over 300, it's pretty amazing.

My GPS has probably humbled me by 10 yards, but that still puts me at 285

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use golflogix to measure, I don't know how accurate it is, but my drives are usually between 270-300.

At the range, I can hit the 250 yd mark ( maybe not accurate ) with range balls which usually have low compression.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Everyone thinks they drive it farther than they do.

No they don't.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

this thread is freaking ridiculous.

We have people here with a consistent enough to swing to have a higher driving average then every tour pro, but they can't consistently chip? Do people really feel like more of a man saying they drive it 300? Does it really make you feel better to lie on a golf forum and try to puff your ego?

No one here is averaging 300+ drives. Sure you might hit it 300+ every now and then but you are not averaging that. If you are then you have a good enough swing to chip and pitch and you wouldn't be a double digit handicap.

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

has anyone ever used "The Golf Mojo" swing trainer. Supposed to increase and strengthen the muscles in your hands and forearms(even though you need a light grip) to increase your drives. Just wondering if anyone had ever used one...

In my Nike Sport Cart Bag:
Driver: Burner SUPERFAST TP 10.5*
3 Wood Burner SUPERFAST
5 Wood SQ Dymo
Irons(4-GW) SZ Vokey Oil Can 56* 64* TP WedgePutter Oz Mallet 6Ball: ProV1x

on a good day, i'm driving roughly 250-270. most days if my swing is a bit in a funk, I try to cut it down to 220-230 for better consistency.

back when I was in high school and i cared moer about distance, it wasn't abnormal to hit 300 but consistency was an issue when I'm tryign to horse it out a few more yards.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

this thread is freaking ridiculous.

Actually, I don't think it's even conscious. I think many people actually believe that they drive it 300+. The brain has an amazing ability to convince us of our delusions, to keep our self esteem high. Freud considered it a coping mechanism, slightly underneath the conscious level. Because we feel the swing is so hard, we unconsciously try to reward ourselves for our progress.

You'll notice people feel the unconscious need to take less club than they need and play for that career shot. This is why so many people score so poorly. They miss the green in regulation, usually because of their stupid decision or mishit, then fail to get up and down, and insist their problem is lack of short game. Because short game is less impressive, people readily accept that their handicap is as high as it is because their short game is not good enough. They must believe that with all their work, their swing must be as good as a tour pro, but if only they could get up and down, they would be so much better. It's also the motivation that keeps people playing golf. The bitter reality, that it's a game that few will ever be able to break par at, is too hard to accept for most people. If you gave most people who felt they had a tour player's swing the same shots on and around the green a tour player had, they would be near scratch. The problem is, it's hard to get up and down from the positions these people hit the ball into, not that their short game is poor.

I agree with you there, I don't at all mean to say I have the game of a PGA pro, but they'd have a tough time getting up and down from a lot of the spots I put myself in around the green. I've been watching a lot of golf lately, the magic of their game is how they manage their game and how "good" their misses are.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

True enough there. Golf design is meant for the ball to be missed around the green not 20 yards right or left of it. This guy on the par 5 friday was up on our tee box about 50 yards from the green, to the right of it, behind these trees. I mean, he would need some serious ups to get it over those trees. There might have been an opening there to squeeze one through. What he does, he tops the ball into the trees, he searches for a bit and then gives up on that ball and drops one on the other side.

The course isn't designed to be played from that spot. When i was standing there, you got an opening to punch it back into the fairway to have about 100-110 into the green. But he didn't wnat to think that going back down the fairway was an option. I rather punch it low and down the fairway for a good approach shot to have a chance of saving par than try to hit it around a tree (espeically if its a left to right shot). I played with two guys thursday who each hit a tree, one of them hit the same tree twice in a row. come on, how long does it sink in that its better to just accept that you can't get it past this tree, punch out. The guy shot 21 over par for 9 holes. The other one was playing very well, until one hole were he lost his ball. I don't understand the shots people hit. The guy who was behind the trees on our tee box, he then said something like, "I better take these new clubs back" I really wanted to tell him, save the money and go get some lessons.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE=Shanks A Million;444696]So, you drive it 270 with an 18 handicap, and want to drive it as long as the longest hitter on the PGA tour? Um... Something tells me you need to remeasure your drives.

Why is that so hard to believe!? I was driving the ball 250 with a regular shaft, and now I'm ABOUT 270 on AVERAGE with the "right" shaft (stiff). Shaft selection is 70% of the club!
I have been playing golf for only 2 years and I have excelled with it pretty well I think. I hit a lot more greens in regulation that friends of mine with lower handicaps. BUT I CANT PUTT!!! what can I say? I guarantee you if I could stop 2 & 3 putting I could be a 10 handicap. And that's in about another year. I have goals and I work towards them. I practice quite a bit every week and I even play in tournaments. I realize my handicap sounds high, but I also know where my faults are and I'm working on them. My driver just doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I just wish I could spin the ball and read greens...

Is there a book in that "dummies" series? "green reading for dummies" haha

There's so much bitching in this thread! Jealousy runs rampant around here...

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

My swing speed is 107,108,109 consistently btw!
=) I get to play on launch monitors a lot...

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

why are people making sucha big deal about other people's driving distance... 300+ yards , while not common, isn't ridiculously profound for even a 20+ handicap. Distance doesn't have anythign to do with a person's handicap...

my brother who is roughly 20 handicap drives 320 regularly. He's a tall guy and his short game is where he lacks but he's got a solid driver swing and out drives me every time.

and to say someone who drives 300 yards should have a good pitching and chipping game is just ridiculous to say. Good chipping and pitching takes a whole nother set of skills to get good at that has nothing to do with a solid driver swing. why is someone's distance at drive so hard to believe for people...?

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

why are people making sucha big deal about other people's driving distance... 300+ yards , while not common, isn't ridiculously profound for even a 20+ handicap. Distance doesn't have anythign to do with a person's handicap...

Here is why because professionals with the best swings in the world barely average 300 yards, the majority are below. So when a 20 handicap says they AVERAGE 300 yards, it is hard to believe because that is an exceptional average.

But you are right I would imagine most 20 handicaps can make better contact with a driver then professional golfers. As to your other point, if someone can make consistent contact on every swing with a driver, which to average 300 yards you would have to make good contact EVERY swing, then they are capable of hitting the sweet spot with a pitching wedge

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

Here is why because professionals with the best swings in the world barely average 300 yards, the majority are below. So when a 20 handicap says they AVERAGE 300 yards, it is hard to believe because that is an exceptional average.

So hitting the sweet spot with a pitching wedge is all that's required for a great short game? And putting too? I'll go update my index now - I hit the sweet spot with my putter every time.

Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!