IGNORED

My Swing (Dr. Slice)

Dr. Slice
Note: This thread is 4314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so lately i have been having trouble hitting my irons. I was shanking, and it seemed like i could never hit down on the ball

at the golf couse they asked me if they could follow me for a couple holes because they were doing a documentary on allergies.

idk if you will be able to see what im doing wrong from it but its the best that i got.

my swing just seems odd when i watch it, almost like i stand up when im about to hit it.

my iron swing is at about 43 seconds

http://www.kgan.com/shared/newsroom/...vid_2402.shtml

im the one they are talking to and about in the red shirt

BAG:Nike ExtremeSport 2
DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's
WEDGEPing 60 & Mizuno MP R Series 56 PUTTERSeemore FGPLOWEST 9:36LOWEST18:74

It seems to me that you are definately standing up right near impact, thus throwing off your spine angle and causing mis-hits. My best advice is to work on staying down through the shot. A good drill I've used is to "look under the shot". I'm not sure if I can explain very well in words..... Basically, you make your swing then feel as if you're trying to look at the bottom of the ball once you turn your head to look for it in flight. At first, it will feel like your bending further forward when you swing. You may even hit a few fat. But, it should eventually help you to stay down and through the shot.

Good luck!

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

alright thanks for the tip. Ill practice that today

DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's

You should really find a camera and get some video we can work with. From what little I saw, it looks like you don't get the hips far enough forward.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, see if you can get a better front and side video of your swing. To me, it looks like you are awful quick at the top in transition to the down swing. If it were me, I'd work on completing your shoulder turn and allowing the club to find the inside on the downswing rather than rushing and pulling across the ball.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

• 1 month later...

Finally i got my brother and a digital camera and came out to my backyard and got a couple videos of my swing.

First one is with my driver. (camera facing me)

Next one is with my driver. (down the line)

This one is with my 8 iron. As you can tell i shanked it horribly, like i have been lately. I know exactly why i am, its because im fanning the club horrible on my backswing. How can i get out of this?

Any critisim at all. i will take. After watching these swings they really looked a little worse than i thought.

DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's

Dude, you gotta embed the videos using the video tags. Just click the little film icon.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Less of that, more of this:

Deep hands, clubhead out. Not to the extreme of Ricky, but it's going to feel that extreme for awhile.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Completely agree!

In the Cleveland bag:
Cleveland Launcher Comp 460 9.5°, Aldila NV 65g S
Cleveland Launcher Steel Fairway 15°, Fujikura Gold 65g R
Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 20.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Gold 65g S
Mizuno MP-60 3-PW, Royal Precision Rifle 6.0 S ...

yes when i try to fan my club and take it back with my shoulders it definitely feels very weird

also from the looks of it, especially with my driver... it looks like my head is moving way too much

DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's

Your head does move too much, but don't think about that now, focus on your take-away and get that sorted out first.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

okay so today after school i went out to my course and hit some iron shots. I worked entirely on not bending my wrists so early and fanning the club. It feels so weird especially when i get halfway up it just feels like my wrist hinge is was off, but i think its probably just because it feels so different. Anyways i was still shanking a couple i guess i have to keep trying at it, the ones i did hit pretty well seemed like they were either pushed or pulled.

But for my birthday my mom and dad got me 5 sessions with who is supposed to be a really good instructor at a course nearby. I hope to get my first session in this weekend, and im gunna just mainly work on irons and tell you how it goes.

once i get a couple hours with him and hopefully get my swing fixed i will post a couple more videos

DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's

okay so today we got released from school early due to heat, so i thought why not go out and try to fix my iron game instead of swimming in my pool :)

i wish i would have went to the pool. I started from 90 yards out with a gap wedge (52) and out of the 30 balls i hit, not ONE was on the green, and every one was either shanked or pushed and were way short. I know this was because i had my head of my club open when i made contact with the ball. I tried everything, even casting my club halfway through my backswing and not even that worked. So i realized that somewhere in my backswing i was making it so i could not get my wrists through at the end.

i went home a got a few videos to see if you guys could see what i was doing, i really worked on starting with the shoulders and i can tell now that it is looking better (though could still use a little help) but i dont think that this is why i am shanking/pushing every shot because i have been doing that my whole life and never had a problem with it until a month ago.

so here are my 2 swings

and

DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's

Work on the following,

Posture and Balance, you look on your toes in the downswing which tells me that your on your toes at address. You want 50/50 on the heels and balls of the feet.

Take away, maintain the triangle that your arms have at address. If you want to feel the right plane, swing with your left arm only, start the swing by just rotating your shoulders keeping your hands infront of you. Let your left hand raise up as you rotate till you get a full turn.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

thanks saevel now i am starting to get a lot better balance.

im thinking that the only reason my club head is open when i hit the ball is because i am not getting my wrists through fast enough, like maybe im holding my lag too long, thats really the only thing that i can see right now.

One thing that i do notice is at the end of my backswing my iron head is much more flatter that it is upright, i watched a couple slow motion swing of some pros on youtube yesterday and theirs was way more upright. Could that have anything to do with it?

DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's

• 2 years later...

I'm using an 8 iron here. I didn't have time to get on the course today so i decided to go out back and mow a strip of grass quite a bit shorter.

I have already realized i have too much wrist action to start the swing.

One thing i really want critiqued is my impact position. This is what i have been working on a lot this year.

As of right now i am playing at about a 10 handicap but that is on a very short course.

Thanks

DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's

I've been Playing Golf for: 13 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 10-12 over

My typical ball flight is: Slight draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push with irons and hook with a driver

Videos:

DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's

Ive been working on my takeaway and having less wrist action. I can tell I'm getting a little better with it but i don't think I'm there quite yet.

I have also been pulling the ball a little bit with my irons, i didn't do it here but could anyone think of why i could be pulling with my swing?

DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's

Note: This thread is 4314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!