IGNORED

GolfTec Golf Lessons - Feedback, Discussion

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone had a recent experience with GolfTec? I emailed them concerning prices and lesson packages they offer. I got a canned response back saying how great it is that I took up the game of golf and how important it is to have a correct swing yada yada. No where in the email do they mention price or lesson packages they offer. Instead the email says I should stop in or call them so they can go over what they offer. Should I assume if I go through with it and stop by there shop I am in for a sales pitch? I really just want to take a lesson or 2 to see if it helps me. I figure if I can get a 30 minute lesson about my swing and than go practice it a few rounds(well not here in NY) I would than go back for another lesson and so on.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• 2 months later...

I've been taking lessons at GolfTEC for a little over a month. I purchased the 15 lesson pack this spring. I too did the Groupon thing back in September or October. My wife got it for me as an early xmas gift. I saw the director of instruction and got a pretty good bead on my swing flaws in the 30 minutes. I was probably in there closer to 45 minutes and he gave me a couple of "tips" and stored my analysis on the site for me to review. I went back around February this year and did the 90 minute swing evaluation and based on that lesson I decided to sign up for the 15 lesson package. I've had 5 lessons now and I feel like I'm making progress. I had a terrible over the top move and I flipped my wrists really bad. That is slowly  improving. I didn't expect that it would be a quick fix and I'm happy with the progress I'm making. So far my clubhead speed is up 10-15 mph, my swing path is outside 4 degrees with the occasional inside path vs. my original outside 12 degree swing. My clubface is now averaging open 1-2 degrees vs. 11-15 degrees.

I can totally relate to the "contradictory" lesson structure however I believe it's to get you exaggerating a particular thought, so much so that as you progress you start to do a less exaggerated move without thinking about it. I had the same deal with keeping the club face closed and outside on the way back as well as the bowing left wrist. We even did the book drill, what I found was that I started doing those exaggerated moves in a more practical way without even thinking about them. My cupped left wrist at the top of my back swing was now flat, thing is, I wasn't thinking about it anymore and it's actually in a good spot now.

Needless to say, I'm happy so far and I'm planning to continue with my 15 lesson program. I did not purchase the practice time and I don't know what I'll do at the end of my 15 lesson plan.

To answer some others questions, I did not have a big sales pitch at my 30 minute lesson from Groupon, or at my 90 minute swing eval. Pricing varies from state to state. My 15 lesson program included a free 90 minute swing eval and was $850 during the sale in March.  Here was my breakdown:

Lessons – 10% off:

- 10 Lessons: $611

- 15 Lessons: $850

- 25 Lessons: $1259

Your pricing and mileage may vary, so far my experience has been good. I'll update in a couple months if I'm better or worse than I was last year.

In the bag:

-Driver: R9 9.5* MWT: Left FCT: NeutUp
-3w: Fusion 3w
-Hybrid: 585h 19*, 585h 24*-Irons: 755 Forged 5-PW-Wedges: Vokey 52.08* | 56.12* | 60.06-Putter:-Ball: DT | ProV1

I'm lucky. When I walked in I was hit with the "canned" hard sell so I walked out.

It's the teacher.....not the toys.  Anyone who looks at me and tells me they can teach me to swing like a pro is not a teacher.

I recently did their 1 hour evaluation that was on sale for $50.  When he asked if there was anything I specifically wanted to work on, I said "my driver slice".  He then watched me swing an 8 iron with the electrode vest-thing on for about 20 minutes.  Then we sat at the computer for another 20-30 minutes looking at the videos and discussing what he saw.  Then came the hard sell for their "lesson plans".  When he showed me the pricing printout I started laughing.  The two "options" that they offered was $775 for 10 lessons and $1019 for 15.  The other options were crossed out because "those aren't the ones you need."

I have met with my new instructor twice now (at $35/hour) and has me driving straighter than ever!

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

I recently did their 1 hour evaluation that was on sale for $50.  When he asked if there was anything I specifically wanted to work on, I said "my driver slice".  He then watched me swing an 8 iron with the electrode vest-thing on for about 20 minutes.  Then we sat at the computer for another 20-30 minutes looking at the videos and discussing what he saw.  Then came the hard sell for their "lesson plans".  When he showed me the pricing printout I started laughing.  The two "options" that they offered was $775 for 10 lessons and $1019 for 15.  The other options were crossed out because "those aren't the ones you need."

I have met with my new instructor twice now (at $35/hour) and has me driving straighter than ever!

I guess I got lucky, it seems like a lot of you got the hard sell right away, I didn't. In fact, I had to email after my Groupon session to get a price quote. It is disappointing they don't put any pricing on the website but they do run 10-15% off sales pretty regularly. I tried Golf Galaxy for a lesson and I had a local instructor. I stopped using Golf Galaxy because all they wanted to do was change my grip. My swing had plenty of problems but this guy hated my grip so much that was all he focused on. I couldn't hit a ball for almost 2 months after that. I never went back. My local coach was a nice guy but used no high tech gizmos. I was shanking the ball terribly and he never mentioned my wicked over the top move or my flipping wrists. He just had me sitting on an uphill lie trying to hit draws. After 3 or 4 lessons I stopped going to see him too. He was very helpful with my wedges inside 50 yards however. I have my first night of my first ever golf league tonight. I sure hope I can hit an iron. My scramble tourney and my exec 9 in the last few days were not promising... I'll have to see if I can grab a few stills to show the masses my before and current downswing and impact positions. It is quite a dramatic change. Now it's keeping it consistent.

Edited to say: What I mean by "high tech gizmos" is that I had no access to video tape my swing and no launch monitors. It is tremendously helpful to see your swing on video, however if you don't know what you're looking at or looking for, what's the point? That is where the help of a coach, whomever that might be, is worth every penny.

In the bag:

-Hybrid: 585h 19*, 585h 24*-Irons: 755 Forged 5-PW-Wedges: Vokey 52.08* | 56.12* | 60.06-Putter:-Ball: DT | ProV1

Golf Tec is a serious ripoff and anyone considering this as an option should save a bunch of money and go see a real golf professional. I was a 6 handicap when I signed up, paid a $ grand and quickly became a 12 handicap. The instructors are terrible and they all have a different opinions on how to teach. I went from one instructor to another and they were all horrible. SAVE YOUR MONEY and don’t do this to yourself!!!! I feel like they actually stole from me…. Watch your wallet because thats all they want!!!!!!

mike e - Just curious how many lessons you took? Also, how many lessons did you take with the same instructor? I definitely got worse before I started getting better but I played as well on Saturday as I've played in a LONG time. I'm 5 lessons, a groupon session and a swing eval in so far and definitely seeing improvement. It is a big expense but you get out what you put in. I've spent a lot on range balls and getting out to play to work on what I'm trying to reteach myself. I think everyone's mileage will vary with any instructor but it's too bad to hear you didn't like either instructor and lost 6 strokes. That would be very frustrating, I know...I've been there.

In the bag:

There is a reason why they don't tell you the prices... they are insane!

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

OK.  I got a non-refundable groupon for a 1 hour "swing evaluation".  It sounds like I need to make sure I don't drink the Kool-aid here.  I went in to talk to the instructors and find out who would be a good fit for me.  The response I got was, "You don't evaluate us.  We evaluate you."  I also watched them giving a lesson.  The kid was obviously a rank beginner.  He had zero leg action and the ball was too far back.  Guess what, huge casting flip and zero distance.  I watched the "pro" getting him to torque more with his shoulders and do such and such with his arms instead of simply moving the ball forward and letting the hips turn.  I guess that's one way to guarantee zero results and more lessons in the bank.  This is the Golftec in Austin, Tx at Golfsmith on Research Blvd., for anyone curious.  I'll try to be as objective as possible about it regardless of how much they piss me off .

The biggest gripe I have so far is their concept of "Average Tour Pro".  Is it really a sensible operation to take 150 people and average them to find out the "ideal" positions?  If it worked that way, you would expect that averaging Ben Hogan and Jim Furyk would produce a better ball striker and, by induction, averaging 150 would be even better.  I suspect it would produce a 40 handicapper pretty quickly unless you threw out the nasty outliers like Hogan and Furyk.  What do they know about ball striking anyway?  Also, there are different muscles driving a lot of different swings.  Could someone please describe what an average of two muscles is?  Until you can do that and not sound like an idiot, I'll be sure this concept is complete nonsense.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

The response I got was, "You don't evaluate us.  We evaluate you."

Is your coupon able to be used at a different location?  I hear tons of stories about bad customer service, and that one is among the worst I've ever heard.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Finished my swing eval. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I brought my old B-game swing which has my hands too far forward and an upper-body shift on the backswing followed a little flippiness to square the club. Now....let's evaluate the teaching pro and see what he does with this . Honestly, the guy did a pretty good job of getting me to a really good impact position in the hour I was there. Of course it's tough in 1 hour to overhaul a swing, but I felt like he was fairly cognizant that different people had different abilities. I did laugh at one point (and he chuckled too) when he put me up next to Tiger and made the comment, "You'll notice that at this point you start to look a little different from the pro on the right." I said, "No way. That's hard to believe.". There was far less emphasis on the numbers and sensors and more on just looking at the camera footage. He seemed to have a fairly trained eye and just used the sensors for additional info. My body angles were fine at address, but my hands were too far forward. He moved them back, got me back to a stacked position on my right side at the top and magically the tremendous lag returned. With a 6-iron SS of 95+ mph, you can imagine the distance that produced. The lesson package was a little overkill in my mind. I generally work best with a few takeaways and one lesson every few months or so. I think that kind of self-study with occasional direction from a pro is really the most rewarding long-term. If you are that kind of golfer, Golftec might not be right for you. I will say that they have something that can assist self-study pretty effectively. It's foot controls and a monitor on the ground. You can use the practice bay something like 90 minutes a week if you buy the big lesson package, which is north of $2500 for the year. At 52 lessons, I think it boils down to about $50 a lesson. If you are going to take a lot of lessons, that price seems pretty competitive to me. Plus, you get to use the camera system to practice your swing with immediate visual feedback. For my style, I'd rather hit balls into the sky with a pro that has a Casio Exilim or equivalent.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• 4 weeks later...

Just took evaluation yesterday with GolfTEC in Beachwood, Ohio.  I was impressed.  They have 4 teachers at this facility, 3 of which are PGA professionals (with 10, 15, and 25 years experience respectively).  My instructor is the one with 15 years.  He has worked at various clubs, and has worked his whole life in golf.  I get the sense that the group at this facility was definitely not "fly by night".  I was down to about a 4-Handicap in college, and now at nearly 40, I haven't played in about 8 years.  So, my goal is to get to where I can play in the 70's again.

So, my $99 evaluation was yesterday and I was quite impressed.  He analyzed my entire swing, and showed all of the little flaws I have (including a couple big ones, like a left arm chicken wing, and an improper takeaway).  He also mentioned what I do well (weight shift, balance, head movement, and finish).

He spent about 1:45 with me (certainly more than the advertised 1 hour).  As promised he made a couple of suggestions, working with my setup and grip.  Interesting that he initially made some corrections to my setup which were identical to the suggestions I recall having been made by a PGA pro about 10 years ago (obviously, my body and mind forgot about these suggestions).  He asked me which pro I would like to compare myself to, and we used Adam Scott and Tiger Woods (who have similar swings).

For as long as I can remember, I have hit the ball slightly towards the toe.  And on my initial swings, this tendency confirmed itself.  The computer stated I hit it towards the toe, and it felt like I hit it towards the toe.  My instructor explained to me why he felt I was hitting this way (which dealt with my address position and my takeaway/swing plane).  Instantly, I was hitting the ball on the center of the clubface (both by feel, and confirmed by the computer).

He showed me the different packages they offered.  And since I knew I would be rebuilding my swing (I played a TON of golf as a junior, and played a lot in college), I knew I would need more than the typical 3 or 4 lessons.  The instructor recommended a program which was about 9 months long, and broke it down into 7 categories (address, backswing, top, downswing, impact, extension, and finish), and showed how many lessons/weeks were devoted to each category.  Incidentally, I did not need more than 1 lesson on my finish, which didn't have any major flaws.  The majority of my time would be spent on downswing and impact areas.  It seemed perfectly reasonable that I would need the allotted times he suggested.  However, my wife would have a heart attack if I told her I had spent $2000 on lessons.

So, I elected to sign up for a less expensive 15-lesson plan plus 6-months of practice time.  The lesson price was $956, or $63.73 per lesson.  The 6 months of in-house practice time was $240, or $40 per month.  This works out to $6.15 per hour (you get 90 minutes per week of practice).  I really don't have an issue with the price, given that most PGA professionals likely charge $60 to $125 per hour (often without fancy video and website access), and this worked out to about $128 per hour.  But, I believe that you can get more done in that 30-minute lesson because they have 2 high-speed cameras already set up (no wasted time in waiting for the typical outdoor pro to set things up).  Also, the software program they have is quite fascinating and gives instant feedback.  The practice time allows you to spend 30 minutes after your lesson to "groove" the new swing tip you learned for that day.  The 6 large buttons on the ground allow you to work the video system yourself and be able to see if you are achieving your desired goal for that training session.  And then, I am expected to schedule another 60 minutes of practice time on another day that week.

The practice time I believe is quite inexpensive.  On the range, I likely hit through $10 of balls in about 1 hour.  Whereas, at GolfTEC it is costing me $6.15 per hour (and that includes all the computer/video gadgets I am hooked up to).

The part I like is that nearly my entire evaluation was recorded (and all subsequent lessons will be).  I can then access these lessons on their website.  He copies videos of drills I need to focus on for my particular swing fault for that lesson.

I intend on spending 4 to 6 days per week practicing the drills I am given each week (at GolfTEC, at the range, and at home).  Will report back with the results...

• 1 month later...

The one near me is offering a swing evaluation of $99*, (*with purchase)

with purchase of what? more lessons? without purchase it's $179. Seems ridiculous for a franchise that just opened like a month ago. you would think they'd want to draw people in with an introductory offer.

I'll be getting lessons at the local range, thanks anyway.

The technology is impressive in terms of giving you a good visual of where you need to improve. The art of teaching however

is communicating in a way that the student understands and improves. Golftec provides no way to differentiate between the

teachers in your area.Which means-luck of the draw-in finding a teacher that can relate to you in a way that enables you to

improve. My guy is a great guy but I feel the company should do a follow up of the results half way through the lesson

to see how the student is doing. Maybe the teacher could use some input from a fellow teacher who might see a different

approach to a student's weakness that might  generate better results.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a GolfTEC member for almost 2 years now and I have never regretted my decision. I started out having one of the worst golf swings they had ever seen. Now I have a great swing that is much more productive then my former swing. When I first went to GolfTEC is was interested in getting fit for new clubs and I walked out very impressed with their program and not as interested in new clubs (my decision). It was definitely rough at first as we changed my horrible posture first to a more athletic one and worked on getting my swing to the top. The great part during that time is that while I was out on the course with people I was getting compliments about my posture which made me even happier about my decision to choose GolfTEC. Then My swing started improving when I finally got to a good top position. Then it all started coming together and my scores started dropping very quickly. I started out before GolfTEC as a player whose average score was in the 150s and I am now averaging in the 100s with my lowest score ever in the 90s. When I miss-hit a shot now I tend to push the ball or hit it really "fat" (which is my own fault for not shifting my weight properly on the downswing) and the only time I really hit a bad slice is with my driver (that lesson is Tuesday). I have even taken chipping and putting lessons as well. Plus my coach does not put me in the harness to give me all the numbers because where I am taking lessons it is about making a swing that fits me...after all I'm NOT a tour pro.

Now about the bay. Yes you are indoors (which means I never get a lesson canceled because of rain) and you hit into a big net. Most people say that then you don't get to see your ball flight for your swing. While there is some truth to this it is not completely accurate. The bay gives you information about swing tempo, swing speed at impact, club path through impact, face angle at impact, where impact was on the club face (toe, center, or heel), and how far the ball traveled. With this information the coaches know (and now I do) what your ball flight will look like. Also, since the data is based on your swing, fixing your swing will produce a better ball flight on the monitor and on the course. I have gone from a nasty slicer to a golfer who hits a nice draw (right to left movement) on many shots. Now the key for me is taking it out to the course and making it work there too. Something else I will be doing with my coach soon...an outdoor playing lesson. I have even had outdoor putting and chipping lessons. So, just because there is a bay does not mean you cannot use some of your lessons outside.

In the  Stand Bag:

Raw Distance Extreme Clubs (Driver-Pitching Wedge)

Rac Wedges (54 and 60 degrees)

Rossa Monza Spider Vicino Putter (Face balanced, 1/2 shaft off center, 32", custom fit)

e5 Golf Balls, Golf Glove,  Golf Shoes, The Rules of Golf 2010-2011

USGA Bag Tag, Landshark Golf Towel, Pelz Putting Tutor, Swing Weight, Alignment Stix,  Tour V2

Originally Posted by KARR2001

I have been a GolfTEC member for almost 2 years now and I have never regretted my decision. I started out having one of the worst golf swings they had ever seen. Now I have a great swing that is much more productive then my former swing.

You've been taking lessons for two years and you shoot in the 100s?

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

For the record I have not been able to do my lessons every 2 weeks or so because of school so I take lessons when I can. Also, I have a problem of opening my club face at impact and push all my shots to the right. However they did bring me down from an average score in the 150s. And my scores are still going down just having trouble lately which we are working on. Plus I have a hot head sometimes on the course and I let bad shots get to me so I keep making mistakes and I start rushing it which is not good. GolfTEC cannot fix the mental part of the game.  But compared to my old swing I am a completely different golfer than I was when I started.

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

You've been taking lessons for two years and you shoot in the 100s?

In the  Stand Bag:

Rossa Monza Spider Vicino Putter (Face balanced, 1/2 shaft off center, 32", custom fit)

USGA Bag Tag, Landshark Golf Towel, Pelz Putting Tutor, Swing Weight, Alignment Stix,  Tour V2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we got my club face squared up last lesson and when I went to the course I was actually closing it up a little too much but I still hit a very nice draw and got a 97 which could have been an 89 had I committed to several shots inside 100 yards. Great progress is happening for me at GolfTEC. I also kept all but two of my drives in play. Now I just need to work on my fairway woods and driver for my long game and keep working on my short game and better results should be coming.

In the  Stand Bag:

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!