IGNORED

Drop Area Rules Question

albatross
Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We have a drop area on a par three where the tee shot is over water to the green-the hazard is yellow staked-If a player hits over the water and we are not sure if the ball comes to rest on the bank or in the water-I know he can re-tee- can he also go to the drop area and declare he is playing a provisional or once he goes to the drop area and drops  is his ball then in play and the original ball out of play.

We have a drop area on a par three where the tee shot is over water to the green-the hazard is yellow staked-If a player hits over the water and we are not sure if the ball comes to rest on the bank or in the water-I know he can re-tee- can he also go to the drop area and declare he is playing a provisional or once he goes to the drop area and drops  is his ball then in play and the original ball out of play.

Part of your answer may lie in Definitions.

A “ provisional ball’ ’ is a ball played under Rule 27-2 for a ball that may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds .

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Part of your answer may lie in Definitions.

A “provisional ball’’ is a ball played under Rule 27-2 for a ball that may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds.

Further, the Rules do permit implementation of a local Rule for a ball played provisionally under Rule 26-1 under certain conditions

- it's impracticable to determine whether the ball is in the hazard or to do so would unduly delay play, AND

- if the original ball is not found, it is known or virtually certain that it is in the water hazard.

The ball played provisionally may be played under any of the options of Rule 26-1 or any applicable local Rule (drop zone).  If a ball is played provisionally and the original ball is in a water hazard, the player may play the original ball as it lies or continue with the ball played provisionally, but he may not proceed under Rule 26-1 with regard to the original ball.

If the original ball is found outside the hazard, the player must continue with the original ball.

Note that this local Rule must be implemented by printing on a scorecard or notice board.  Without such a local Rule being implemented, play of a ball provisionally in such circumstances is not permitted, and that ball would become the ball in play.

No. He may only play a provisional from the original place. In dropping in the DZ he would be substituting another ball. Playing a substituted ball makes the original ball lost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Moelis

No. He may only play a provisional from the original place. In dropping in the DZ he would be substituting another ball. Playing a substituted ball makes the original ball lost.

I've found that the wording of this rule tends to be confusing to players who are not well versed in rules terminology and phrasing.  This is a fairly simple concept, but it always seems to create confusion until it's explained and demonstrated in layman's terms.

Even from the original place he can only play a provisional ball if there is a possibility that the ball may be lost outside of the hazard, or if the local rule allowing a provisional ball for a water hazard is in effect.  He may not play a provisional ball just because he is uncertain whether the ball is or is not in the hazard.

With no local rule in effect, and no possibility of the ball being lost outside of the hazard, then playing another ball from any location is accepting the penalty stroke and whatever distance is lost and abandoning the original ball, even if that ball is ultimately found.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've found that the wording of this rule tends to be confusing to players who are not well versed in rules terminology and phrasing.  This is a fairly simple concept, but it always seems to create confusion until it's explained and demonstrated in layman's terms.

Even from the original place he can only play a provisional ball if there is a possibility that the ball may be lost outside of the hazard, or if the local rule allowing a provisional ball for a water hazard is in effect.  He may not play a provisional ball just because he is uncertain whether the ball is or is not in the hazard.

With no local rule in effect, and no possibility of the ball being lost outside of the hazard, then playing another ball from any location is accepting the penalty stroke and whatever distance is lost and abandoning the original ball, even if that ball is ultimately found.

A local rule that should be used more often than it is, in my opinion.  I've recommended that it be adopted for specific holes at 2 different courses, and during the conduct of one tournament, and in each case it was.

Absolutely helps pace of play.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

he can only play a provisional ball if there is a possibility that the ball may be lost outside of the hazard,

He may not play a provisional ball just because he is uncertain whether the ball is or is not in the hazard.

If he is uncertain of the outcome, then there is a possibility.

If he is uncertain of the outcome, then there is a possibility.

@Fourputt said that he may not play a provisional just because he is uncertain whether the ball is or is not in the hazard .   That's right.

He may however play a provisional for a ball that he believes may be lost either in or outside of the hazard.  I understood the "lost" piece to be the difference he was referring to....

In David's bag....

@Fourputt said that he may not play a provisional just because he is uncertain whether the ball is or is not in the hazard.   That's right.

He may however play a provisional for a ball that he believes may be lost either in or outside of the hazard.  I understood the "lost" piece to be the difference he was referring to....

He may only play a provisional for a ball which may be lost outside a water hazard; he may not play a provisional for a ball that may be in a water hazard.  Of course, this is a bit of semantics because a ball that may be in a water hazard also may be lost outside the water hazard.

The water hazard Rule (26-1) does not use the word "lost", instead it uses "not found" - they are not the same.

He may only play a provisional for a ball which may be lost outside a water hazard; he may not play a provisional for a ball that may be in a water hazard.  Of course, this is a bit of semantics because a ball that may be in a water hazard also may be lost outside the water hazard. The water hazard Rule (26-1) does not use the word "lost", instead it uses "not found" - they are not the same.

Unless the aforementioned local rule is in place.....

In David's bag....

Unless the aforementioned local rule is in place.....

Yes, I understand that, but assumed from the post that I was answering it was not in place (given that it is not very common).

And a further correction to another post above, the player can play a provisional ball from the drop zone for a ball that may be lost outside the hazard, but it would be a breach of the Rules as it's played from a wrong place.

Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!