IGNORED

Tiger Woods vs Phil Mickelson; Who's Better?

Uncle Peter
Note: This thread is 5112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Tiger Woods vs Phil Mickelson: Who's Better?

• Phil Mickelson
    • Tiger Woods

Like some of you said, at this moment, Phil is better and a lot of players are better than Tiger right now since Tiger is playing so poorly. However, if you consider the past performances/achievements, definitely none of the current player is better than Tiger. If Phil win 1 or 2 more majors this season and Tiger continues to perform poorly, then I might change my opinion.

I don't get polls like this. Is everyone forgetting that Tiger just went though one of the nastiest and most exposing scandals in history? Of course right now, Tiger is an absolute mess mentally and is struggling. What do you expect? I hate snapshots "in time" like this. It shows how short people's memories are. If you look at the BIG picture and at the statistics, there is absolutey no way you can argue Phil over Tiger. Even if Tiger quit for the rest of the year and Phil won 2 more majors, he would still have less than half the amount of majors Tiger has at the age of 40 vs. tiger at 35. The only person on the planet that you can agrue vs. Tiger is Jack Nicklaus.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

There's something wrong with golf rankings that have a guy #1 that only made the cut in 50% of the tourneys he entered this year. Tiger was a stud for many years, but he's not the same player he was back then. Phil is clearly the guy to beat these days...and he deserves to be #1.

Bag Diablo Stand Bag
Driver 10* Draw Diablo
Woods Diablo Edge 3-7
Irons Diablo Edge 5-PW
Wedges X-ForgedPutter Anser 4

Phil's better.....Tiger's lie gets exposed and he folds like a cheap lawn chair. Phil is dealing with his wife and mother fighting cancer and has the sack to show up and win.

Tiger was great no doubt... But sleeping with the next door neighbor (allegedly)??? Guys got serious mental problems...wow.

I hope he rights his ship for his kids sake.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

There's something wrong with golf rankings that have a guy #1 that only made the cut in 50% of the tourneys he entered this year.

There's a slight skew to this stat...considering he's only

entered 2 tournaments this year, if he entered 10 and missed 5 that is a more substantial and revealing statistic. One missed cut out of 2 events holds no weight. As numerous other people have shown, career stats show the big picture. In our generation, Tiger is the most dominant and best player period, overall second only to Jack until the records are broken. Whether its Phil (not likely) or Tiger (still very likely)...or Rory McIlroy lol.

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

The question has nothing to do with who will be #1 this year. Regardless if Phil takes #1 (which he should now) or not, the question in the post is who is better, period. And there is no denying that when you look at both of their careers, Tiger's statistics prove that he is far better.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

If this was going down on paper,i wouldnt waste the ink...! Tiger is leaps ahead and if he could drive the ball he'd be even leaps further ahead of the field...

In my Sport II cart bag or my R9 stand bag
Irons-Tour burner R/5-Sw,60 lob wedge z groove
Driver-R9 Supertri R/10.5
09 Hybrid #3 R/19
09 Hybrid #4 R/22Putter-Method 001,Length : 34 Ball-Those round white ones...

this has got to be a joke...? Tiger...

4 words: US Open, Torrey Pines

I wouldn't wish undue pain and anguish on anyone but I could tell you with no doubt in my mind that Phil would most definitely NOT win with a busted right knee (leading knee in the golf swing)....sorry, there is no comparison

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Who is better over the career. No question Tiger. Who is better right now. Phil no question. His short game is sharper, his iron game is better, I can't believe I am saying this but he is driving the ball better.

I think the next two years could be very interesting. There is no question that Phil is playing better golf than Tiger in the last 6 months. I'd put my money on phil on a head to head match.

Brian

I don't get polls like this. Is everyone forgetting that Tiger just went though one of the nastiest and most exposing scandals in history? Of course right now, Tiger is an absolute mess mentally and is struggling. What do you expect? I hate snapshots "in time" like this. It shows how short people's memories are. If you look at the BIG picture and at the statistics, there is absolutey no way you can argue Phil over Tiger. Even if Tiger quit for the rest of the year and Phil won 2 more majors, he would still have less than half the amount of majors Tiger has at the age of 40 vs. tiger at 35. The only person on the planet that you can agrue vs. Tiger is Jack Nicklaus.

Pretty thoughtless post. I guess Phil has not went through anything. Oh wait a minute, both his mom and wife were diagnosed with breast cancer. Give me a break.

Pretty thoughtless post. I guess Phil has not went through anything. Oh wait a minute, both his mom and wife were diagnosed with breast cancer. Give me a break.

Elsfan, you surely cannot consider Tiger's scandel with Phil's tragety. That's just dumb and thoughtless if you are considering them equal.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Yeah, but Phil's problem made people like him more, and receive him with more warmth. Tiger, on the other hand, has had people jumping ship at an alarming rate. There's almost no way to compare the two.

Exactly, there's no way you can compare them.

Elsfan, you surely cannot consider Tiger's scandel with Phil's tragety. That's just dumb and thoughtless if you are considering them equal.

I don't see the problem with comparing the two. In fact, it always dumbfounds me when people are surprised when someone compares 2 things. The point of comparison is to explore the similarities and differences of two things, so why not compare them. Elsfan wasn't saying they were equal, but clearly both Tiger and Phil are not in fantastic situations personally. I always thought it was weird when people said "oh no, you can't compare Tiger's layoffs to Hogan's." Look, I love Hogan, but what is wrong with saying that both of theses guys didn't play golf for a while, so lets see how they do when they come back. No one ever said that Tiger's comeback from scandal was heroic like Hogan's comeback from the car crash, other than the fact that they didn't play for a while.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Who said they were equal. What is equal? Health is more important in my book as compared to Tiger being overly selfish. Phil had more to overcome in my book.

Yeah, but Phil's problem made people like him more, and receive him with more warmth. Tiger, on the other hand, has had people jumping ship at an alarming rate. There's almost no way to compare the two.

I really think it is overblown. Tiger has received a very warm welcome for his totally inconsiderate behavior. All you have to do is look at this board, people who loved Tiger for the most part still do. In addition Tiger has failed to acknowledge his fans for far too long and it gives his fans a reason to in addition to his behavior to jump ship.

to all those saying ''phil is better right now,'' what does that even mean? rory won the last tourney and shot a course record, so by that logic he must be the best right now, right? don't be silly, tiger is way ahead of phil. so what, phil can hit fancy shots from 75 yards in and put it close. but tiger's iron game and putting makes phil look like that kid impressing everybody at the country club with his trick shots around the green and from the bunker. now, i'm not discounting what phil can do, but he is definitely no tiger.

In the end, It would depend what you are comparing. Whether it be currently, overall, best fairway game, ect.

There's something wrong with golf rankings that have a guy #1 that only made the cut in 50% of the tourneys he entered this year.

tiger played in 19 tour events last season. he won 33% of the events he entered. he finished out of the top ten 4 times. tiger came in 4th place, with a horrible swing, in his first tournament back from 6 months of no competition after having only practiced for two weeks. are you serious, dude?

Note: This thread is 5112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!